Bending log

Fist of Fury

Tried some DO bending, warmed up with longer bars and it felt very good even with minimal wrapping. But then when I was about to try a 8x185 mm rebar (HRS) I completely failed, only moved it past 30 degrees. Either this batch is much harder than the previous batch I had or I was just weak.

Tried some grippers as well. Haven't touched them in three months. Crush is between 145-150 both left and right handed. Which is okay. However I can't even set a harder #3 gripper anymore, which was a surprise because I've always been able to do that, even when I could only close a #2 gripper. Maybe it's a confirmation that my arms are tired from bending. So the bar I tried might not be harder.

Will take 4-5 days off from bending now and then try again. Really want to find good leathers for a good price. I have no clue where to find it. So hard to see on pictures if it's good quality or not. The search continues...

• Like 1

Yesterday - bicep curls, tricep extensions and OHP with dumbbells.

Today
Warmup, some reps with WD2 barehanded, then finished reverse bent bars DO.

DO bending with single thin suede leathers
7.6x230 mm spike x 2
8x200 mm rebar x 1
8x235 mm rebar x 1
8x180 mm rebar x 1
8x170 mm rebar got it past 90 deg, I had it going but chicken as I am I bailed out when it started to hurt a lot.

Reverse bending
7x180 mm spike steel in a single piece of thin suede leather - just got it past 40 deg, 42-43~

Back to normal wrapping, pads touching in the middle, spike steel.
7x160 mm x 1 (47-48 deg)
7x155 mm x 1 (50 deg)
7.5x175 mm to 30 deg

DO feels good but reverse is a bit disappointing. Will start to work more with the WD2 from now, separately. Will try to train my triceps more as well, I feel that's the main reason my reverse is not progressing much.

• Like 1

Mobility is slowly coming back. Which im grateful for. I could do 8 mm harder rebar at 270 mm one year ago when I last trained DO. I think I can get back there fairly quickly. I remember trying 300 mm once but that was too long for me. I think I will try to go to 280 mm, that's 11 inches. I think that's enough. Then I will keep bars up to 250 mm in my training just for warmup and to keep the mobility on a decent level.

Today I did.

Warmup
six reps with filed vulcan,, some push-ups and some shoulder stretching. DO bending 4 x 7 mm spike steel that was prebent from reverse, then 3 x 7.5 mm, same thing. Then main workout...

DO Bending
7.5x230 mm spikes x 2
8x200 mm rebar x 1
8x240 mm rebar x 1, then directly to...

Braced snap without leg pad. Snapped in 6 minutes. Mostly pain in the leg that kept me from going faster. But that was the whole point with doing it without leg pad.

Also those short warmup bars are quite painful in these crappy thin and torn pads. It's good pain tolerance training for sure.

Will order some harder CRS when I get money. Can't wait to start to train in better pads as well. But I think it's good to train like this as well sometimes, especially to build better pain tolerance.

IMG_1833.thumb.JPG.c0f8da7d07b88637619ad9f93ee02ca4.JPG

• Like 5

Did some gripper closes yesterday, got up to 145 lbs left and right. Did some tricep work with light db's as well.

Tried some work with the WD2 today. So disappointing right now, I've become really bad at this. Going to the gym on the 26th hopefully and I will try to do 10 sets of bench press and 10 sets of tricep push-downs. My triceps are really weak right now. 

Not going to touch any steel until I feel better again. It's just a waste of steel I think. It's 100% the triceps that are the weak link.

• Like 1

Did two short bending sessions, tried DO yesterday, didn't feel recovered enough so I quit after a few attempts.

Tried some snapping today. Snapped a 7 mm and a 7.5 mm bolt, tried to brace bend the halfs but couldn't quite do it. Also started with a prebent red nail, tried without leg pad. I'm able to snap it like that if I want to, but I don't want to, not right now. Maybe sometime in the future when I feel stronger. Going to take a week off from bending now.

Yesterday I did:

Light bicep curls.

Grippers
Vulcan Orange Spring GHP 1.5" block set - Bunch of higher rep sets then up to a single on 9-9. Couldn't quite get it with right hand.

50 mm 1HP - Some warmup sets then up to around 30 kg with left, couldn't lift with right hand.

Right hand has been really weak for a long time now. I think I destroyed it with plate curl training last year. It has not been feeling good since that. Now my right index finger goes numb when I do everyday stuff. I guess it's not good to have the index fingers on the bar when you bend DO.

• Like 2

Today I started with some light db work for biceps and shoulders, then did reverse to start with.

WD2 Orange Spring
3-3: 2x15
4-4X 2x5
CROM Spring
Lvl 6: 1x5
Lvl 9: 3x1
Feels terrible, just not used to bend at this distance I think. I did Lvl 11 in september last year without much difficulty and without having trained with it for a long time. Only explanation I can think of is that plate curling must have kept my wrist strength up.

Reverse Bending Single Suede Leathers Touching
7.5x157 mm spike steel - 7 hits in 20 minutes
1 - 7 deg
2 - 15 deg
3 - 24 deg
4 - 26 deg
5 - 33 deg
6 - 34 deg
7 - 45 deg

7.5x168 mm spike steel to 51 deg in 20 seconds, then another one to 52 deg in less than 20 seconds.

Then I tried a 8 mm rebar (hard) at 177 mm in doubles, couldn't move it. The amount of strength I've lost in this exercise makes it very discuraging to continue. Not sure if I want to work for it or not, I had to work extremely hard to get where I was a year ago. Most of the work I did I never logged on this forum. It was a huge amount of volume I had to do to even get anywhere with reverse bending. Not sure if I want to do it all over again.

Then it was:

DO Bending
Started by finishing the bars I bent reverse. The 157 mm bar was not fun at all to finish in thin suede leathers.

7.5x230 mm spike - felt very hard for some reason, maybe the warmup was too hard.

8x250 mm rebar (hard) used doubles on this one because the spike I bent felt so hard, but it turned out to be easy. Mobility is good.

8x175 mm - back to single suede leathers, bent this as well, it was hard but I managed to do it under one minute, you kinda have to do that with painful bends otherwise you're not going to finish them, it feels like.
I payed more attention to what I did this time as well  and I realized I'm bending short 8 mm steel right over my index finger. No wonder my finger goes numb for a week. If this doesn't go away I'm going to quit bending like this.

8.9x180 mm spike steel filed to 7.9 mm in the center - didn't move it at all. I've "kinked" two of these to around 0.5 deg when I first got them in early december. So I'm definitely going backwards. As expected. 

Will throw in some more wrist training again (boring as hell and it will probably make me wanna quit again).

Thumbless lift - Up to 51 kg LH, 45 kg RH

Brick hold - 20 sec

10 kg DB
2 sets curls & 2 sets FP

Leverage block wrist curl - 2x10

Sledge hammer F&R hold - 2 sets

Vulcan gripper Orange spring GHP 1.5" block - up to one attempt on B10-F9

Finally ordered some leather and some more steel. Bad thing is that it will take a month before I get the leather.

• Like 1

Reverse Bending Suede Leathers Touching

7.5x152 mm spike steel
1: 4 deg
2 & 3: 26 deg
4: 36 deg
5 & 6: 39 deg
7: 40 deg
In 15 minutes

7.5x154 mm spike steel
to 30 degrees in 3 hits
Then tried one hit more after some rest but got no movement, so I stopped there.

My left bicep started to hurt as usual. I've had this problem for several years. Ever since I did KTA in 2016. That was the first time I felt it. I get it from setting grippers and from reverse bending. Not quite sure why I get it though. But I suspect it's just a weakness, since my left arms is much weaker than my right and I never get it in my right arm. I'm doubtful I can ever fix it. But time will tell. I just have to rest when it happens.

Anyways, I'm happy with the reverse bending now. Wrist devloper feels super bad but the short range bending is progressing, which is good because that's what my main interest is in.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Reverse Bending Suede Leathers Touching

7.5x152 mm spike steel
1: 4 deg
2 & 3: 26 deg
4: 36 deg
5 & 6: 39 deg
7: 40 deg
In 15 minutes

7.5x154 mm spike steel
to 30 degrees in 3 hits
Then tried one hit more after some rest but got no movement, so I stopped there.

My left bicep started to hurt as usual. I've had this problem for several years. Ever since I did KTA in 2016. That was the first time I felt it. I get it from setting grippers and from reverse bending. Not quite sure why I get it though. But I suspect it's just a weakness, since my left arms is much weaker than my right and I never get it in my right arm. I'm doubtful I can ever fix it. But time will tell. I just have to rest when it happens.

Anyways, I'm happy with the reverse bending now. Wrist devloper feels super bad but the short range bending is progressing, which is good because that's what my main interest is in.

Nice work man! 

Does you arm still hurt if you switch your hands? (Instead of left arm in front you put it in back or vice versa)? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stranger said:

Nice work man! 

Does you arm still hurt if you switch your hands? (Instead of left arm in front you put it in back or vice versa)? 

Thanks. I haven't tried but I don't think it would. Driving hand is my right and if you would use left it would be mostly a tricep exercise for the upper arm.

• Like 1

Snapped some bars and nails. Also tried to do one more reverse bending session. Wanted to see if I could bend these bars 3 times a week but I couldn't. So 1-2 times week will be enough for a while. When I can bend 2-3 of these under 30 seconds each I will move up to 4.8 bolts. Which should be the next step before grade 8 bolts.

• Like 1

Did some DU bending today.

Kompaxel 6 mm S355J2, all bars cut to 145-152 mm, suede leathers touching

Did 9 bars in total, had to take long rest in between each.

Also tried Heslep style on two of them, only got them to a bit over 10 degrees. I've managed to bend these like that 2 years ago when I trained this style occasionally.

Also bought some 8 mm steel of the same type. Not sure if I'm going to be able to bend them or not. They should be significantly harder than red nails I've been told. Will be interesting to see.

• Like 1

Alright, so today I tried some harder steel for DO. Someone was kind enough to lend me some pads to use until I get the leather I ordered...

WU - finished all the 6 mm bars I bent yesterday, in single suedes.

Main workout. Used cordura and then Horrido leathers on top of that. Bent and attempted the following bars:

8x250 mm rebar x 1 mobility is still good.
8x195 mm rebar  x 1

8 mm Kompaxel S355J2
223 mm x 1
200 mm x 1
180 mm this one stopped me, got it to 16 degrees (I might be able to bend this in one hour or something but I don't want to try that yet)
223 mm x 1

This steel is really hard through the whole ROM. It's not like any CRS I've ever bent before, this one feel much tougher. I have never failed to crush any CRS that I've been able to kink past 25 degrees before. But this steel was extremely near to stop me at 200 mm length. I got that to over 20 degrees in the first "set" I did and I had to take a break to be able to continue. Last 223 mm bars was the only bar that I was able to finish in one go without take any real break. I finished it in roughly 3 minutes.

I pounched myself in the face three times on the first bar I bent. I haven't bent in cordura for a long time and now I remember why :D

Wasn't a good day, was sore in my wrist from DU yesterday and my shoulders as well, probably from doing push ups yesterday.

I would say this steel is about equal, or harder than the hardest steel I've bent before, which was 233k from world of grip. This feels similar, if not slightly harder. But it's difficult to say exactly, my strength level is not the same anymore. But these bars are good for me now, I will get back there. Hopefully I can go at least a little bit further as well.

• Like 1

Already got the pads I ordered, tourned out to be shit. Not going to use them, maybe when I train very minimal wrapping I will use them.

WU, up to one attempt on hard COC#3, around 8-10 mm open both L&R. Then some WD2, up to level 6.

Back to old worn suedes...

Reverse bending spike steel in suede leathers touching:

7x150 mm - couldn't bend this past 10 degrees lol, was starting to doubt it was my day, but then I got warmer...
7.5x160 mm to 38 deg
7.5x152 mm to 40 deg, PR since I started this log again
7.5x152 mm to 38 deg, then rest then finished past 40 deg

Dynamic thumb pinch - 40 reps

FOF, I noticed you do work on WD2-with CROM spring- What is the highest level you have seen on the CROM. Thanks

6 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

FOF, I noticed you do work on WD2-with CROM spring- What is the highest level you have seen on the CROM. Thanks

I don't know, haven't seen much of it to be honest. The highest I've heard about was Level 15 or 16, don't remember exactly, by David Wigren, he's a very strong bender and can, or have been able to bend red nails in strict style.

I've done Level 12 and just missed #13 with  a hair, by that time I could bend 8x180 mm rebar in singles 60 mm from the ends, so not 100% strict but fairly close to it.

• Like 1

Did a snap this morning.

8x223 mm S355J2 steel - took 17 minutes, did the first 10 opening without leg pad, then had to add some leather for protection. It was much harder than I thought it would be. Really slow steel, don't think I've ever seen a piece of steel being cracked wide open for that long.

Will rest until monday now.

• Like 1

Done some dumbbell work, some gripper holds and some dexterity balls since last time. Today I tried bending and it was a really bad day for me. Not even going to log it, totally sucked. I could feel it already at Friday's db workout that I had no power and I have not been able to sleep well since either, so that's probably the reason.
Taking a step back again I assume. Not really sure there's any hope left for me. But I will keep trying...
However, I do suspect a hard grade 8.8 bend isn't in the realm of possibility to me though. But that's okay, I still think it's fun to bend even if I don't reach any of my goals.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Done some dumbbell work, some gripper holds and some dexterity balls since last time. Today I tried bending and it was a really bad day for me. Not even going to log it, totally sucked. I could feel it already at Friday's db workout that I had no power and I have not been able to sleep well since either, so that's probably the reason.
Taking a step back again I assume. Not really sure there's any hope left for me. But I will keep trying...
However, I do suspect a hard grade 8.8 bend isn't in the realm of possibility to me though. But that's okay, I still think it's fun to bend even if I don't reach any of my goals.

You'l get there... We all have bad times.... Even through the bad times, as long as you still show up during these periods you are winning.... just ride the wave and you'll be back on top again.

• Like 1

To make a long story short. No more DO bending for me, ever.

Will continue with reverse and will try to get better with DU again as well. But I will never in my life try to crush a bar past 40 degrees ever again. So DO, braced and snap goes out the window.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 6:27 PM, Fist of Fury said:

Alright, so today I tried some harder steel for DO. Someone was kind enough to lend me some pads to use until I get the leather I ordered...

WU - finished all the 6 mm bars I bent yesterday, in single suedes.

Main workout. Used cordura and then Horrido leathers on top of that. Bent and attempted the following bars:

8x250 mm rebar x 1 mobility is still good.
8x195 mm rebar  x 1

8 mm Kompaxel S355J2
223 mm x 1
200 mm x 1
180 mm this one stopped me, got it to 16 degrees (I might be able to bend this in one hour or something but I don't want to try that yet)
223 mm x 1

This steel is really hard through the whole ROM. It's not like any CRS I've ever bent before, this one feel much tougher. I have never failed to crush any CRS that I've been able to kink past 25 degrees before. But this steel was extremely near to stop me at 200 mm length. I got that to over 20 degrees in the first "set" I did and I had to take a break to be able to continue. Last 223 mm bars was the only bar that I was able to finish in one go without take any real break. I finished it in roughly 3 minutes.

I pounched myself in the face three times on the first bar I bent. I haven't bent in cordura for a long time and now I remember why :D

Wasn't a good day, was sore in my wrist from DU yesterday and my shoulders as well, probably from doing push ups yesterday.

I would say this steel is about equal, or harder than the hardest steel I've bent before, which was 233k from world of grip. This feels similar, if not slightly harder. But it's difficult to say exactly, my strength level is not the same anymore. But these bars are good for me now, I will get back there. Hopefully I can go at least a little bit further as well.

I agree 355 is another beast. Hard on the kink and crush. First time I tried it i got stuck on the crush for 10mins. 

Your kink strength on long bars is strong, but obviously the long bars make it easier on the crush. I think if you work on isometric crushes with harder steel you will get stronger there too. Would be good to see some videos to assess your technique too.

Majority of my training has been failing to bend bars and consistently hitting them until they move.

I just realized I got some nerve damage from crushing, that and a ton of other injuries so I will never do it again. Just not worth it...

The issue with the index finger was not from bending the bar over it. It comes from the palm, so it's a nerve issue. Just got a real scare today when I tried to crush. So I will never do it again, never!

Did some wrist developer work the other day. Did two sessions, one in the morning and one in the evening. Can barely get level 10 now, so it feels a little bit better at least. Also realized that I was attemting Level 14 and not 13 when I last trained with it a year ago. Makes sense becuase I thought the jump from level 12 was insane. So I have never actually tried level 13 :D 

Did some reverse bending today. Not the best feeling since I did some thick bar training as well and forearms was really tired from that.

I was able to get 7.5 mm spike steel at 147 mm to 39-40 degrees at least so it was OK. Did a few more bars as well. 152 mm is not a problem with these right now. Going to buy some 4.8 bolts and cut them to 152 mm as well and see if I can make any progress with them.

Tried some reverse bending today again. Strength feels good but left arm feels terrible now. I will rest completely until I get the 4.8 bolts. So at least two weeks off, maybe three or even a month.