Bending log

Fist of Fury

Congrats on the Red! I will always remember my first.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

Congrats on the Red! I will always remember my first.

Thanks Don!

It was a fight, luckily I had my digital angle measurment tool at hand so I could track the progress, which was extremely small in the beginning. I probably would have quit if I didn't see any progress on it.

Turns out the reds I got feels very similar to the 207k rated bar from WOG.

• Like 1

Nice red nail bend man! 

One note about squares, they are easier if you kink them across a corner, that pic looks like it bent on the flat, that will make the rest of the bend more difficult.

Only downside to kinking on the corner is it digs into your index fingers more, if you put your index on the bar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, wobbler said:

Nice red nail bend man! 

One note about squares, they are easier if you kink them across a corner, that pic looks like it bent on the flat, that will make the rest of the bend more difficult.

Only downside to kinking on the corner is it digs into your index fingers more, if you put your index on the bar.

Ok, thanks, didn't know that. Will try it next time.

3 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Congrats on the bend Emil 

Tackar, ska försöka få progression på de kalibrerade bitarna, förhoppningsvis så går det.

Did some close grip bench today, strength is slowly coming back, I'm 10 kg's lighter now so I'm not expecting to reach the same numbers again to be honest. It will probably take a long time before I do so. Did some wrist levering, 1HP and WD2 yesterday.

New goals for bending are:

G8 in single wraps
Red Nail in single wraps
Blue nail hardcore style
Yellow nail I really don't know.

Does anyone have any suggestions what I could do with the Yellow nail? Maybe some type of snap or something else, I'm open for suggestions.

1/4x6" G8 bolt went down in single IMP's today, very good news that double wrapping seems to carry-over to singles. It was an easy bend as well, took around 20 seconds and it was not a max effort from me.

Also did some squats and deadlift. Almost passed out after last set of deadlifts. Need to get used to the pressure again.

Tried some DO bending today and it was a really bad day and my skin hurt a lot as well. So switched and did some DU bending instead. Need to get better with this technique. Did one Yellow Nail in one IMP.

Also filled up a bunch of sandbags, it was sort of a workout to carry all the sand from the beach, to the car and from the car to the basement.

DO - Grade 8 bolt bent in single IMP's today, easy as it was first time I did it. Failed to do it last workout.

DO - two hits on 207k bar, one in singles and one in doubles, only moved it a few degrees. it's either harder than the red nail or I just need more rest. It's probably a fatigue issue. Should rest and bend some easier bars instead for technique.

Reverse - Grade 5 166k in suedes touching, got it to 31 degrees. Which was more than expected. Also did 7x180 mm with suedes touching and bent it to 60 degrees. Reverse felt strong today but DO weaker. Strange how they don't don't seem to affect each other at all.

Finished with some reps with the WD2.

• Like 1

I found a good way to progress I think. Grinded down some of the square steel to around 7.9 mm and bend it on a corner. Seems to be a decent challenge for me. Still can't crush down these things tho, but that will not be the purpose, I will only train the kink and the beginning of the sweep with them. 

Also got some 7 mm GBI bars back and will cut them down to 6" and try them. Going to take two weeks off from DO bending and only do powerlifting during that time instead.

Did the first real workout in a lifetime today it feels. Even trained some grip, first time in three months, it's amazing how much strength I've lost. Can't believe I did workouts with over 40 reps with the 153# rated #3 six months ago. Today I did 5, 3, 3 with a #2.5 (really hard one) and that was super difficult. Also did some deadhangs with fatgrips. Did 2x40 seconds and it felt like my fingers was about to snap. Did dumbbell rows with 70 kg. Felt like 90 kg did six months ago. Did a bunch of other stuff as well, including rack pulls. My grip is gone, had to use straps :( 

Finished everything with my first snapping of a steel bar. 6 mm nail using the vertical technique. Felt like it would never snap, almost lost my patience but right about when I was about to throw it away it finally snapped.

• Like 1

Thursday 28/5/20

Snapped another 6 mm nail using vertical technique, switching between radial and ulnar deviation. Really nice wrist workout.

GHP7 - 3x1 MMS right hand.

Tried the WD2, felt very weak at reverse today, still decided to try one bend. Got 7x150 mm CRS to 24 degrees in IMP's.

21 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Did the first real workout in a lifetime today it feels. Even trained some grip, first time in three months, it's amazing how much strength I've lost. Can't believe I did workouts with over 40 reps with the 153# rated #3 six months ago. Today I did 5, 3, 3 with a #2.5 (really hard one) and that was super difficult. Also did some deadhangs with fatgrips. Did 2x40 seconds and it felt like my fingers was about to snap. Did dumbbell rows with 70 kg. Felt like 90 kg did six months ago. Did a bunch of other stuff as well, including rack pulls. My grip is gone, had to use straps :( 

Finished everything with my first snapping of a steel bar. 6 mm nail using the vertical technique. Felt like it would never snap, almost lost my patience but right about when I was about to throw it away it finally snapped.

Do you think the bending is affecting your grip strength? After my first bending of really easy 5.1mm square nails my fingers and knuckles have had some weird pains for over a week and my crush strength has dropped slightly.

9 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

Do you think the bending is affecting your grip strength? After my first bending of really easy 5.1mm square nails my fingers and knuckles have had some weird pains for over a week and my crush strength has dropped slightly.

Yes bending is very taxing and especially if your body is not used to the stress.

• Like 1

Sunday 31/5/20

Double Overhand
7x210 mm - 3x1 in suedes
Double 6x177 mm - 1x1 in suedes
SS 7x152 mm GBI 100 kg @185 mm in IMP's.
Double 6x177 mm - 2x1 in suedes

IMG_1141.JPG

• Like 1

Tuesday 2/6/20

Tried some DO in single pads today
7x152 mm in suedes - got it down right under 2". This was a pain tolerance bend, haven't bent much in suedes in a while and I guess my hands are getting soft.
1/4x6" Grade 8 bolt rated 204 kg in IMP's - This was the only one of these I had, wish I had more, this was a good challenge bend for me, way harder than the 190 kg.

Was not a good day today, didn't do any full body work, only warmup for hands and shoulders. Going to the gym tomorrow, hopefully.

IMG_1142.JPG

Wednesday 3/6/20

Nothing bending related today just a bunch of gym stuff but I want to log at least the upper body stuff I do.

Did four different back exercises

Chest supported row - 3 sets (medium intensity) around 85-90 kg I think.
T-Bar row - 3 sets (high intensity) a bit over 100 kg I think.
Wide grip lat pull-down - 3 sets (low intensity)
Dumbbell row - up to 78 kg, hard for left side, quite doable for right.

FatGripz deadhang:
60 seconds
added 10 kg - 3x20 seconds

Felt like my forearms went through a meat grinder during these. No ache in the fingers though, a bit disappointed about that. It's the finger pain that gives the gains in my experience.

Also did some KB swings and some gripper closes with the hard #2.5 as warmup.

Also forgot to log from Monday. I did blob drags on a ramp with left hand and did some closes with the 153# #3 with right hand. Felt like my left arm had been run over by a train after the blob work. I don't think I've ever felt anything like it before, maybe that's why I'm so weak with block weights. Couldn't do stuff afterwards. Tried to play guitar and couldn't move my index finger. Fortunately it healed up quite well over night and it didn't affect my bending on Tuesday.

2 hours ago, Hopefully said:

After good blob work I can forget about anything grip for days 

I did some grippers the day after and I actually felt decently strong. Weird thing was that I could not do anything for hours afterwards, couldn't even open the fridge with my left fingers. But the day after I barely felt anything.

I'm planning to do very high volume training with the blob. I need get my working capacity up there slowely tho. It might take a year or two.

I actually sold the blob trainer. Didn't feel I had any response to reps or holds with lighter weights. Going to work only with the blob I'm going to lift instead.

Thursday 4/6/20

Double Overhand
WU in doubles:
7x210 mm CRS x 2
Double 6x180 mm CRS x 2

8x178 mm 207k @ 6" in doubles - Done in 25 minutes.
8x178 mm 207k @ 6" in doubles - Done in 10 minutes.
IM Red nail 7" in Single IMP's - Done in 10 minutes.

Hardcore
6x180 mm nail in a single suede.

Some wrist levering.

Steel bending is kind of a strange phenomenon. Was feeling tired and my expectations was that I might be able to bend one 207k bar in doubles if I was lucky. After I managed to bend first, which was hard, it was like I became another person. I got stronger in 10 minutes, never experienced anything like that before. This activity must be exeptionally neurological. Weirdest thing was that before I bent the second 207k bar I thought, this one is going to be about the same as the first, but it was like my brain just learned the movement and it felt much easier. That bar was even bent a bit off center as well.

Then I decided to try my first red nail in single pads. This is where it got even more strange. I just knew I would make it, which is pretty odd feeling for something that you have never done before. I only wish all exercises was this neurological and psychological :laugh

I need a some more stamina. I think I could have bent the red nail in around 2 minutes if I had stamina to hit it hard one more time. I had to take a 5 minute break after the first three hits. So I finished it in around 10 minutes total.

IMG_1149.JPG

• Like 2

Can't begin to count the bending sessions that got easier as I went along.  I'm pretty sure it has to do with waking up our central nervous system...but I'm no scientist.

Sweet news on the Red.  As you get faster and faster, you'll find it gets easier and easier.  Its an interesting phenomenon. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, anwnate said:

Can't begin to count the bending sessions that got easier as I went along.  I'm pretty sure it has to do with waking up our central nervous system...but I'm no scientist.

Sweet news on the Red.  As you get faster and faster, you'll find it gets easier and easier.  Its an interesting phenomenon. 

It's probably the reason. Was cool for me to get three PR's in a row. That has never happen to me before :) 

Some reverse bending with suede pads touching. Not a good session, arms are overworked right now and I will take 2-3 days of rest now.

Did 4 x 7x180 mm CRS and attempted a Grade 5 bolt again, got the same result as last time, 31 degrees.

Sunday 7/6/20

Not much rest. Did full body workout yesterday and some thick bar holds.

Today I did DO bending again. 

IMP's
7x180 mm CRS x 7
8x180 mm Square HRS - 2x1
8x178 mm CRS rated 212k @ 6" - Got it down to 15 degrees, then my skin started to fall apart too much, so I switched to doubles and finished it from there.

Now, 2-3 days of rest, seriously this time.

19 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Now, 2-3 days of rest, seriously this time.

First thing I did Monday was... Can you guess?!

MORE BENDING!!!

Double wraps only today.
8x180 mm HRS square x 2
8x178 mm 218k @ 6" - done in 3 minutes, got past the kink in three hits.
8x178 mm 222k @ 6" - done in 2 minutes, got past the kink in two hits.
8x178mm 233k @ 6" - stopped me at 4 degrees, didn't have anything left in the tank to grind it out.
Will finished it some other time when I have energy for it. I need to rest now, so my plan is to do this tomorrow morning. So in reality I might do it in a week or so, since I never do as I plan to do :D

• Like 2

Wednesday 10/6/20

Very sick, barely ate anything yesterday. Feel terrible. Tried some DO bendning anyways which wasn't fun at all.

Good news, can bend a Red nail in doubles under a minute even in shitty condition like today.

Did some hits on 226k, got it to 15 degrees with one hit, then no power left at all.

Not sure if I'm going to do any bending in single pads. Not in to it for the pain, only for the gains. Frankly I don't think it's fun bending in thin pads.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Not sure if I'm going to do any bending in single pads. Not in to it for the pain, only for the gains. Frankly I don't think it's fun bending in thin pads.

It's an acquired taste.  If you transition slow enough, you barely notice it.

Without that transition time...it's remarkably unpleasant.  :) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1