Bending log

Fist of Fury

I might have to increase the frequency on the reverse bending, doing a bit more light bends. Feels like there's some sort of brain error when I try to to it for sure.

On 3/1/2022 at 6:00 PM, Fist of Fury said:

Got some more steel to play today.

Reverse bending
Worked up to 3 grade 4.8 bolts cut to 150 mm (including the head).
1: to 35 ish deg in two attempts, then skipped it, felt hard to continue on it for some reason.
2: Past 50 deg under 30 seconds.
3. Past 40 deg under 30 seconds.

I felt incredible DOMS from this workout. In my entire forearms, to a level I never experienced from reverse bending before. It was at the same level as when doing really heavy thick bar lifts. 

And after this I have not been as strong. Might just be that my recovery is very slow. 

22-03-28

DO Bending
7x210 mm spikes x 2 in single corduras
8x200 mm rebar in single corduras x 1
8x250 mm C45 in double leathers - to 15 degrees
M8 x 200 mm Grade 8.8 Bolt in double leathers to 3-4 degrees
8x223 mm SS in leathers and corduras to 65 mm, couldn't finish it, just kept bouncing back no matter how hard I tried
8x250 mm C45 in double leathers from 15 degrees to 55 mm, couldn't finish it, about as springy as the SS.

Reverse bending
6x145 mm hex x 1 (about the same resistance as M8 4.6 bolt).

C45 steel feels harder than the S355J2 I have. But I don't know for sure yet, until I have tried both at the same length. Longer bars springs more on the final part.

The SS at 223 mm was a mistake, I was going to do the C45 but the SS must have been dirty because it really looked like CRS. Maybe my eyesight is bad. I will use a magnet next time to make sure.

Did some gripper closes as well with filed vulcan.

Tried my dynamometer yesterday and got 102 kg. So my crush should be around 145 with grippers, in theory.

• Like 1

22-03-30

Do bending
Hard bending session, still very sore from last workout but you have to train like that as well if you want to get stronger.

Even failed some WU bars but continued with:
8x195 mm C45 in double leathers to 15 degrees.
8x195 mm rebar in single corduras x 2
8x185 mm rebar in single corduras x 1
8x175 mm rebar in single corduras x 1 failed

22-03-31

Reverse bending
6x145-150 mm CRS hex x 3
M8x150 mm 4.8 bolts x 2
7.5x148 mm spike steel x 1

Finally it felt normal again. Wanted to do some more bolts but I ran out of them. Might have to order some more. Or I will just order some grade 8 bolts and try to see where I'm at.

• Like 1

22-04-02

DO Bending
8x200 mm rebar in single corduras x 2
8x195 mm C45 x 1 attempt from 15 degress, in double leathers, couldn't feel any movement, I probably moved it a tiny bit.

Felt kinda bad so I took a break, listened to some music and played some chess and ate some burgers.

Then got back to DO bending again after two hour break or so.

Finished off some of the bars a reversed last session.
8x250 mm SS in double leathers, felt easier than C45 did and I was actually able to finish it this time, down to 40 mm.
8x195 mm SS in double leathers, felt the same as C45 did, got it to 15 degrees in about five hits total. Decided it was enough there. I think I can get these if I'm 100%. I will try that next time. Both these bars are harder than the S355J2 at least, which is good, now I have a good progression to follow.

S355J2
Stainless/C45
2x7mm nails
Grade 8.8 bolts
Hex
Horrido 8.8

• Like 2

As for reverse bending I'm not sure what progression to use. I'm pretty sure the grade 8 bolts I can get is too hard to make a full bend with right now. They are probably between 190-205 kg compared to world of grip rated bolts.

I think the Horrido 4.8 bolt is quite hard to kink but the sweep is much easier, it's actually even easier in the sweep than the 7.5 mm nails are at the same length. Kink feels slightly harder though.

I'm thinking 8 mm square HRS might do the trick.

10 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

As for reverse bending I'm not sure what progression to use. I'm pretty sure the grade 8 bolts I can get is too hard to make a full bend with right now. They are probably between 190-205 kg compared to world of grip rated bolts.

I think the Horrido 4.8 bolt is quite hard to kink but the sweep is much easier, it's actually even easier in the sweep than the 7.5 mm nails are at the same length. Kink feels slightly harder though.

I'm thinking 8 mm square HRS might do the trick.

I'm really new but found that drill rods fill the gaps really well. Not sure what is available in your country though. 

7 hours ago, matek said:

I'm really new but found that drill rods fill the gaps really well. Not sure what is available in your country though. 

Drill rods with good increments are not available in Europe unfortunately.

The stainless steel I have now is actually 8.25 mm. So thats good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Drill rods with good increments are not available in Europe unfortunately.

The stainless steel I have now is actually 8.25 mm. So thats good.

I see. Where I live there is one type similar to W1 and available at every 0.1mm, but can be pricy so I'm thinking about using CRS with higher carbon content (0.4-0.5%) and hex bars wherever I can because these are cheap.

8.25 is also a strange size, it's not sold here...

24 minutes ago, matek said:

I see. Where I live there is one type similar to W1 and available at every 0.1mm, but can be pricy so I'm thinking about using CRS with higher carbon content (0.4-0.5%) and hex bars wherever I can because these are cheap.

8.25 is also a strange size, it's not sold here...

It's not that size by design, it's just bad tolerance.

Be careful with high carbon metal it can snap. I think you're good with the numbers you said but I would be careful to go higher than that. DO bending and snapping a bar like that could be very dangerous.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fist of Fury said:

It's not that size by design, it's just bad tolerance.

Be careful with high carbon metal it can snap. I think you're good with the numbers you said but I would be careful to go higher than that. DO bending and snapping a bar like that could be very dangerous.

Thanks for the warning. I've also thought about it, especially with the drill rod (it's about 1%). So far I'm only doing DU and reverse and don't go further than 90 degrees with those so it should be fine, but probably the best to never use it for DO.

22-04-05

Some shrugs, push-ups and tricep extensions as WU.

Reverse Bending
6x140 mm CRS hex in 2/3 suede leathers x 3
7x150 mm spike steel in 2/3 suede leathers x 1
7.5x151 mm spike steel in 2/3 suede leathers x 1
8x180 mm rebar (HRS) in horrido leathers 6 cm from the ends to 2'ish degrees
7.5x154 mm spike steel in 2/3 suede leathers to 35 degrees

Felt good today, have cut down the suedes leathers and they are very thin now. Definitely didn't expect to bend the 7.5 mm steel in these but it felt good so I decided to try a rebar again. I tried this a few weeks ago but I didn't log it because it made me kinda depressed to be honest. I didn't get any movement at all then, now there's at least something, which gives me some hope.

I've bent these three times before in this style, first time to 65 degrees and the others to 50 something. Back then I was much stronger in my body. I wasn't as sick and I could close grippers over 160 lbs, close grip bench 120 kg and my DO bending (radial deviation) was definitely stronger.

I feel I can get back to this level again now when I actually moved the bar a little bit. I'm probably better at reverse bending now, although not as strong in my body. Once I get past 10 degrees it will go to 40 easily I think. The first 10 degrees is the hardest part with these when you're going to bend them to only 40 degrees.

• Like 1

22-04-07

DO Bending
7.5x230 mm nail in single corduras x 1
8x210 mm rebar in single corduras x 1

8x220 mm C45 in double leathers - spent 50 minutes to get it to 70 degrees

Very hard day, very tired and powerless.

Did some OHP yesterday, probably didn't help me either.

• Like 1

22-04-08

Vulcan gripper filed - a few closes and 20 second hold

DO bending
continued with the 8x220 mm bar, bent it to 90 degrees, very hard, got DOMS in my chest muscles almost immediately after.

Braced snap
7.5x230 mm nail x 1

Grippers
one attempt with hard COC#3 and two singles with Super Master

DO bending, some hits on S355J2 steel 8x175 mm. Got it to 15 degrees but skin started to hurt too much, left rotator cuff didn't like it either.

Going to take a break from DO bending for a few weeks now.

• Like 1

22.04-09

Reverse bending
7x150 mm spike steel in super thin leathers - to 30 degrees
7x140 mm spike steel x 2
7x147 mm spike steel x 1
7.5x155 mm spike steel x 1

• Like 1

This bending stuff is awesome. Nice on the Red Nail.

Has anyone ever bent the IronMind Gold Nail? Is it like the CoC 4 of bending?

@Jared Pthere is a few people who have bent the gold nail, there is a thread about it in the bending forum where you can find some names.

Hard to compare different feats of strength but yes I guess you could say the gold nail is somewhat similar to a #4 close in regards to how difficult it is to achieve. Then again for one person it could be esier than developing a strong crush grip and vice versa. Different people have different ablities.

• Like 1

22-04-10

Some grip wankery. I can't believe I actually did this s h i t pretty much every day for years. I think it's so incredibly boring now.

Hands need something to do tho. I will try to get to a gym to train my upper body while I take a break from DO bending. Unfortunately no guarantee I will get there but I will try.

22-04-11

Braced Bending
8x175 mm stainless steel x 1, got it to exactly 50 mm in 40-50 minutes. There was no way I could've got it to 49 mm so I'm happy I actually finished it.

Horrido 8.8 bolt cut to 150 mm - one attempt, to 4 degrees.

• Like 1

22-04-12

Vulcan gripper
Some reps with the orange spring. 20 rep sets up to 2x10 at 7-7 and a single at 9-9.

Vulcan filed gripper - 2x20 second hold at 8-8

22-04-13

Braced bending

WU to 8x152 mm rebar in doubles, then triple wraps:

8x180 mm Grade 8.8 bolt "S.B.B" finished in less than five minutes.
Horrido 8.8 bolt to 5 degrees, it was too hard for me today and my legs do not like this at all. Feels like I'm rubbing them against a brick :(
I have to find a better way of wrapping also. Bend get very uneven, I think I need to place the wrap further out on the head side.

22-04-16

Reverse Bending - Nah

Braced Bending
4.8 bolt x 1
8x140 mm rebar x 1
8x180 mm C45 x 1
M8 Grade 8.8 bolt cut to 155 mm (including head) "S.B.B" x 1

Braced bending progression in one week:

175 mm stainless steel, 180 mm C45, 8.8 bolts 180 & 155 mm. Some small damage to the Horrido 8.8 bolts as well. I have plenty of 8.9 mm spike steel cut to 180 mm that I will try next time. Hopefully I can do something with them, since I want to save the 8.8 bolts for DO.

The C45 steel has to be super quality. Really hard steel, not far from 8.8 bolts, which are not that far from the Horrido 8.8.

image.thumb.jpeg.81d70193711a0c47b6ddd7ecdfa31a21.jpeg

• Like 3

That's it for this time. Maybe I will try bending in the future. I highly doubt it though. I think I've reached as far as I can at this point. Maybe, only MAYBE I could bend a hard 8.8 bolt if I trained for 2-3 years but I feel the risk to reward ratio isn't in my favour. It's more likely I hurt my rotator cuffs to the point of no return.

Reverse bending doesn't make any sense to me. One session I don't feel that I'm even holding a steel bar another session it feels like my thumb is getting hit by a freight train. Honestly the pain takes all the fun away.

I rather spend my money on something else. So I will not continue steel bending in any form.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

04-26-05-09

Tried some 1/4x6" Grade 8 bolts, best was to 22 degrees. These are so fucking hard after you get them to around 5 degrees. Almost felt like I was going to break my ulnar bone. Got serious DOMS from it also. I never got that from  reverse bending before, I'm probably too old, or maybe I've become better at it.

Rested for some days and waited for M6x150 mm Grade 10.9 bolts to arrive.

Did some light gripper work and extensor training over the weekend.

Did five 10.9 bolts, these are fairly easy in the kink but after 5 degrees they start to behave exactly like the G8 bolts. Springy little  f u c k e r s indeed. But they are about 10% easier than G8/12.9 bolts (those I've tried at least).

Done 11 in total now and got four of them to 40 degrees or more, the rest was in between 30-39 degrees.

I have to use something else to train the kink and keep hitting these until I can bend the G8/12.9 bolts. Maybe some square steel to train the kink.

Also done grippers, I want to close the #3.5 still and I'm going to try no matter how painful the training will be.

I've trained for six days in a row now.

Day 1:
3x2-3 reps with 135~ rgc
Vulcan filed 3x10 seconds with 8-8 or 9-9 (don't remember)
Light set practice filed up to 5-5 for five reps

Day 2: five grade 10.9 bolts

Day 3:
5x1 with 135~rgc
Vulcan filed 1x3 reps with 8-8
Vulcan filed 2x10 seconds with 8-8 or 9-9 (don't remember)
Light set practice filed up to 5-5 for five reps

Day 4: Three grade 10.9 bolts

Day 5:
4x1 with 135~ rgc
Vulcan filed 1x10 reps 7-7
Light set practice filed 5-5 for three reps
Vulcan filed 9-9 for 10 seconds
Vulcan level 6 38 mm block set 3x10

Day 6: Three grade 10.9 bolts

Tendonitis is real in my left arm. It will either fall off or break down completely or it will adapt and get stronger. I really don't give a s h i t anymore, I'm so tired of it.

Right wrist is feeling it also, so I will have to rest for a while now.

• Like 2