Tommy Jennings Return to the Gripboard

Boulderbrew

Tommy Jennings Return to the Gripboard  

45 members have voted

1. 1. We have been shooting the sh*t at grip practice. It recently came up, do you want Tommy back on the board?

• Bring him back
    • Send him packing

1/4×6 G5 reverse is nothing to sneeze at, but maybe that just means I need to work more on it.

49 minutes ago, Chez said:

Chris I also started DO bending below my pecs and bent my first red nail there and bent that way for a while. I had to commit myself to getting better and  I eventually got the bar under my chin (I was never a great bender) but I am way broader than you with big, long arms (6'7" arm span). No offense buddy.........I am not convince you aren't built for it, I think this is like you not learning to set, you didn't like so you didn't stick with it long enough 😉. In comparison, you have mastered the euro because you love the thing. 

Maybe some truth but for a while I "got into" DO bending and Nick and I worked pretty serious at it.   I bent a 6" Red before I could bend a 7" Red.  I could get a better position higher up towards my neck with shorter bars.  I don't think it's as simple as how broad and wingspan - it's the ratio between everything I think that counts.  I started everything reverse for two reasons - first because I could - and second because at the end of the reverse the bar was shorter and I could get it higher.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

I think one of the biggest factors that led to me hitting the ground running bending was my introduction and coaching from day 1. I had literally 2 of the best benders living within 5 miles of me at the time. Eric Milfeld and PK. Who started me off proper.

so even if a guy has all the tools required physically, he’s more than likely not gonna have nearly the quality coaching I did. Basically, I didn’t have a learning curve. I went from never seeing a bend, to full tilt f*#kin shit up in 1 day thanks to Eric and Paul.

and basically the only reason I take the time to elaborate all this is simply because us benders who get deep in it, are aware that most don’t notice the same details with regards to bending as we do. So this isn’t me trying to make anyone feel like it’s impossible to do the same or better. Just simply trying to relay how and why it was pretty rare. On top of it being an already niche unknown hobby to most.

Facts. I can bend but lack coaching. Theres a nuance not seen in other aspects of grip imo.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 5:31 PM, Tommy J. said:

Lost touch with Hannes tho. Not sure what he’s been up to the last 5 or 6 or so years.

He is fully into Armwrestling. In 2019 he won the Austrian Championship with his right.

But at the moment he is in the Steel Shredder Contest from David Horne (and 2 seconds faster than me😆)

On 1/2/2020 at 3:41 PM, Tommy J. said:

🤔but what would be more exciting for me to see with regards to bending is for another sub 200lb’er make a similar or better run at the same bends, and THEN some. I’d be glued to the screen, and maybe even make a point to come see it in person when it happens. I took mad pride, and still do, in being THE smallest bender bending at that level DO unbraced.

that said, I am convinced that THE greatest verified DO bend of all time won’t EVER be done by a sub 200lb guy. And imo, that bend is Aaron’s 5/16x6.5” SS square bent in under 5 min. Need a lot of muscle to replicate that one.

Alex Klimovich is also under 200lbs and has the best bends I have seen in the DO area.

It would be great to get you back in Bending @Tommy J. because you killed the biggest Steel and we learned a lot from your videos.

I am working also towards your level, but maybe I need one more year of work. I am also under 200lbs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horrido said:

He is fully into Armwrestling. In 2019 he won the Austrian Championship with his right.

But at the moment he is in the Steel Shredder Contest from David Horne (and 2 seconds faster than me😆)

Alex Klimovich is also under 200lbs and has the best bends I have seen in the DO area.

It would be great to get you back in Bending @Tommy J. because you killed the biggest Steel and we learned a lot from your videos.

I am working also towards your level, but maybe I need one more year of work. I am also under 200lbs.

Word! Git it brotherrrr!

by the way, if anybody needs any help along the way, feel free to ask. And I’m glad to help.

If you ask Eric or Paul, or even JT, EJ, and Hannes, I asked questions non stop for a while. I wanted to know everything about it I could. And I pretty much had no shame. Surprising, right? 😁

i’ll put the disclaimer in that I was strictly DO tho. And only had an occasional side fling with the horse shoes from time to time. So the DO is the only area I can competently lace anyone up on.

• Like 2

On 12/31/2019 at 8:37 AM, Joseph Sullivan said:

Looks like there are 4 objectors. I’ll bet the 4 that are objecting will be the ones that act the most like your friends if you decide  you return . Just my experience....

I’m not afraid to admit I was one of the conscientious and brave objectors. So sad to witness you all choose lawlessness over family values. 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

I’m not afraid to admit I was one of the conscientious and brave objectors. So sad to witness you all choose lawlessness over family values. 

There is not one of us who is without sin... I for one can’t cast  stone. 😊

7 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

😂

burn....

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

I downvoted the sick bass turd my own self.  Just call us the moral minority. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I downvoted the sick bass turd my own self.  Just call us the moral minority. 

Found a shirt that I’m certain the down voters wear..

69DE3880-0023-4639-98CE-CFA15A64293C.png

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Found a shirt that I’m certain the down voters wear..

69DE3880-0023-4639-98CE-CFA15A64293C.png

Saves on the cost of underwear.  I'm nothing if not practical. 

• Haha 2