Tommy Jennings Return to the Gripboard

Boulderbrew

Tommy Jennings Return to the Gripboard  

45 members have voted

1. 1. We have been shooting the sh*t at grip practice. It recently came up, do you want Tommy back on the board?

• Bring him back
    • Send him packing

10 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

So this is a bit of an inside joke to those reading.. the males in the Jennings family are like a bunch of Orc’s. Adam has been working with my pops and one of my cousins for a while now in the trade along side them as an electrician. And if or when you meet the crew, every thing makes sense. 

The other males in the family loosely resemble the green guy above.

myself being the runt of the litter, not so much on the uber thick stature. But still somewhat of an orc I suppose. 😆 a skinnier one...

I can just Picture him cursing while getting on the bench to rep his 315!

4 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Wow dude! That does look like your dad!! Holy cow!!

Mostly, from the neck up.. needs a gut, boots, jeans, and a Harley Davidson shirt tho. 😂

6 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I can just Picture him cursing while getting on the bench to rep his 315!

You should see one of my younger cousins, Garret... we can put quarters and beer caps and crap through his ring!

Never seen a guy built like him not give a damn about lifting or getting stronger tho. Dude is all about crawfish boils, working, partying, and basically overall debauchery. Fun guy tho. And as flawed as many of them are, they are still my blood. And I can’t help but be partial to them.

you know what they say.. you can pick your friends but you don’t get to pick your family.

52 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

So this is a bit of an inside joke to those reading.. the males in the Jennings family are like a bunch of Orc’s. Adam has been working with my pops and one of my cousins for a while now in the trade along side them as an electrician. And if or when you meet the crew, every thing makes sense. 

The other males in the family loosely resemble the green guy above.

myself being the runt of the litter, not so much on the uber thick stature. But still somewhat of an orc I suppose. 😆 a skinnier one...

I’ve seen him eat a chicken wing- he’s an orc 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

You should see one of my younger cousins, Garret... we can put quarters and beer caps and crap through his ring!

Never seen a guy built like him not give a damn about lifting or getting stronger tho. Dude is all about crawfish boils, working, partying, and basically overall debauchery. Fun guy tho. And as flawed as many of them are, they are still my blood. And I can’t help but be partial to them.

you know what they say.. you can pick your friends but you don’t get to pick your family.

Garrett was clicking my baraban 180 for reps left handed in the parking lot at work one lunch with no warm up. We’ve had days of having to haul parts around the site and he has that freakish good ole boy strength. He has been hitting the gym I got him on a program. He will get out to a team practice this month and we will see him on Saxon axle rt and block buster. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

Garrett was clicking my baraban 180 for reps left handed in the parking lot at work one lunch with no warm up. We’ve had days of having to haul parts around the site and he has that freakish good ole boy strength. He has been hitting the gym I got him on a program. He will get out to a team practice this month and we will see him on Saxon axle rt and block buster. 

Wuuuut! FINALLY someone is able to get him lifting!

hellyeah Adam, thank you! 🙏🏻

Obviously I love grip, bending, and Armwrestling. But I would SO love to see how far he could take things in PL. I tried a few dozen times to get him lifting regularly, to no avail.

very exciting news!

Met Tommy at king kong and liked the guy, just remember if you keep pushing the rules it makes more work for the moderators, so try not to make too big of a mess 😁

I actually like that there's not much drama on here compared to most forums, but if things are slow, do what you gotta do!

16 minutes ago, wobbler said:

Met Tommy at king kong and liked the guy, just remember if you keep pushing the rules it makes more work for the moderators, so try not to make too big of a mess 😁

I actually like that there's not much drama on here compared to most forums, but if things are slow, do what you gotta do!

William?

That's me, you owe me 5 Miller lites 😎

Edited by wobbler
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, wobbler said:

That's me, you owe me 5 Miller lites 😎

Lol!

Eric and I hung out in the drive way finishing all the half drank opened ones after everybody bounced too. pretty sure someone put a cigarette butt in one or two of those. I mean I went ahead and drank them anyways. But still.. do those ones count?.. 

edit: that said, I just decided Eric is honorary orc also.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm from Texas too so I shouldn't joke about that, beer is always given freely with no strings attached. Was fun to meet all those guys (and gals.) Good times.

Goes without saying I didn't leave any half full beers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wobbler said:

I'm from Texas too so I shouldn't joke about that, beer is always given freely with no strings attached. Was fun to meet all those guys (and gals.) Good times.

Goes without saying I didn't leave any half full beers.

I know... apparently only smokers did. 😆

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Really? Okay.

KOAB- at under 200lbs and under FBBC rules

5/16”x6.5” G8- at under 200lbs and under FBBC rules

6”x5/16” CRS square- at under 200lbs and under FBBC rules

gold nail- at under 200lbs, also bent in 1:07

5/17”x7” grade 8 in single cordura wraps also under FBBC rules, and at under 200lbs.

Just to name a few.

Yeah you were decent, but if were being honest, no where near any of those bends. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Unless you were just joking.. in that case, 😂

The thing about 200lbs being the magic number is its bit deceiving.  200lbs at say 5'6", 5'9", 6' and so on are totally different things. Someone who is 5'7" and 200 is a stout little bulldog. 6'1" and 200 is a much thinner person.

• Like 1

I'm 6' 2" and 200# - I consider myself thin but not skinny.  I can't now (or ever could) do any of those bends LOL

2 hours ago, climber511 said:

I'm 6' 2" and 200# - I consider myself thin but not skinny.  I can't now (or ever could) do any of those bends LOL

Yeah, that's my point.  The shorter you are at that weight, the more muscle you MIGHT have. Or be just fat. Point is, the taller you are, the more your non muscular structure weighs. Although usually taller people have longer limbs which equals better leverage for overhand bending? So maybe it equals out haha

Overhand bending leverage depends on several factors.  Shoulder width versus upper and lower arm lengths determines if you can ever get your hands up under the chin.  Only then can flexibility come into play for proper power positions.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Overhand bending leverage depends on several factors.  Shoulder width versus upper and lower arm lengths determines if you can ever get your hands up under the chin.  Only then can flexibility come into play for proper power positions.

I’m 6”1” with wide shoulders and long arms. I started bending in this summer then gave it up for a while but just restarted last week. 

Even though I feel stronger than underhand with lighter pieces I hate overhand bending. 

I’m pretty flexible/mobile and can get my hands under my chin easily but I feel like I have zero power there. Feels terrible. 

I’m all in on underhand though. Harder but feels much better. 

• Like 1

Pull the bar into your chest (you should get small bruises on your chest where your hands contact) then push your elbows forward/together focusing on your upper back and shoulders to get it started (not really using your pecs much yet.)

If you bend lower on your chest it's because you can rest your hands there. Slowly slide that up under your chin, but don't forget the start of the bend you are pressing the bar into your chest.

That's the only way it made sense for me at least.

8 hours ago, king crusher said:

The thing about 200lbs being the magic number is its bit deceiving.  200lbs at say 5'6", 5'9", 6' and so on are totally different things. Someone who is 5'7" and 200 is a stout little bulldog. 6'1" and 200 is a much thinner person.

I’m 6ft exactly. And the BW was under* 200. more like 190. So, thin/lean at the time. But regardless, if being shorter at close to 200 means more leverage/strength/thicker/more muscular, there are plenty of folks out there who fit the bill. And I continue to patiently wait for them to show up and outbend. 😁

3 hours ago, climber511 said:

Agreed. Not to mention the overcoming pain thing, speed, aggressively keeping the steel moving once it starts moving, breathing/timing needs to be right, etc. and all of it has to work together in sync.

i believe that for my body at the time, I was right on the brink of what was possible for a guy that size. To bend bigger I would have had to get bigger.

3 hours ago, FrankSobotka said:

I’m 6”1” with wide shoulders and long arms. I started bending in this summer then gave it up for a while but just restarted last week. 

Even though I feel stronger than underhand with lighter pieces I hate overhand bending. 

I’m pretty flexible/mobile and can get my hands under my chin easily but I feel like I have zero power there. Feels terrible. 

I’m all in on underhand though. Harder but feels much better. 

Underhand was a style I never pursued. Git it brotherrrrrrrr!

28 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

I’m 6ft exactly. And the BW was under* 200. more like 190. So, thin/lean at the time. But regardless, if being shorter at close to 200 means more leverage/strength/thicker/more muscular, there are plenty of folks out there who fit the bill. And I continue to patiently wait for them to show up and outbend. 😁

I think one of the biggest factors that led to me hitting the ground running bending was my introduction and coaching from day 1. I had literally 2 of the best benders living within 5 miles of me at the time. Eric Milfeld and PK. Who started me off proper.

so even if a guy has all the tools required physically, he’s more than likely not gonna have nearly the quality coaching I did. Basically, I didn’t have a learning curve. I went from never seeing a bend, to full tilt f*#kin shit up in 1 day thanks to Eric and Paul.

and basically the only reason I take the time to elaborate all this is simply because us benders who get deep in it, are aware that most don’t notice the same details with regards to bending as we do. So this isn’t me trying to make anyone feel like it’s impossible to do the same or better. Just simply trying to relay how and why it was pretty rare. On top of it being an already niche unknown hobby to most.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

I think one of the biggest factors that led to me hitting the ground running bending was my introduction and coaching from day 1. I had literally 2 of the best benders living within 5 miles of me at the time. Eric Milfeld and PK. Who started me off proper.

so even if a guy has all the tools required physically, he’s more than likely not gonna have nearly the quality coaching I did. Basically, I didn’t have a learning curve. I went from never seeing a bend, to full tilt f*#kin shit up in 1 day thanks to Eric and Paul.

and basically the only reason I take the time to elaborate all this is simply because us benders who get deep in it, are aware that most don’t notice the same details with regards to bending as we do. So this isn’t me trying to make anyone feel like it’s impossible to do the same or better. Just simply trying to relay how and why it was pretty rare. On top of it being an already niche unknown hobby to most.

I gotta tell you, I am very impressed with benders. I myself, have no interest in it, because I feel I would get massively injured at this point in my life , and for that alone I think it’s awesome some of the things you guys do. I feel the same about arm wrestling... I love the thought of it and think it’s bad a$$, but not worth the injury to me. Would I be good at bending? Probably. Would I be good at AW? Probably (both with the right training).... but I’ll never know because I like being pain free at this point in my life. So, long story short, for that alone, I have a lot of respect for benders and arm wrestlers.

Edited by Guest

Years ago there was a guy on the board named Frankyboy from Germany.  He came to the states and stayed a few days with me.  In about an hour with him coaching me I went from struggling with a Blue nail from IM to fighting my way through a 1/4" x 6" Grade 8 double overhand.  Coaching can be a big deal!  I'm not built do double overhand as I can't get even  close to my neck - I did everything on my chest.  My best bends later on were all started Reverse and I'm better still at Reverse.  Best ever was a piece of 6" drill rod weighed out beforehand at 505# I think by Eric maybe? - done at one of Jedd's contests - done reverse with no crushdown.  I still do some easy Reverse bending these days - never going over 1/4 x 6" Grade 5s.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Years ago there was a guy on the board named Frankyboy from Germany.  He came to the states and stayed a few days with me.  In about an hour with him coaching me I went from struggling with a Blue nail from IM to fighting my way through a 1/4" x 6" Grade 8 double overhand.  Coaching can be a big deal!  I'm not built do double overhand as I can't get even  close to my neck - I did everything on my chest.  My best bends later on were all started Reverse and I'm better still at Reverse.  Best ever was a piece of 6" drill rod weighed out beforehand at 505# I think by Eric maybe? - done at one of Jedd's contests - done reverse with no crushdown.  I still do some easy Reverse bending these days - never going over 1/4 x 6" Grade 5s.

Chris I also started DO bending below my pecs and bent my first red nail there and bent that way for a while. I had to commit myself to getting better and  I eventually got the bar under my chin (I was never a great bender) but I am way broader than you with big, long arms (6'7" arm span). No offense buddy.........I am not convince you aren't built for it, I think this is like you not learning to set, you didn't like so you didn't stick with it long enough 😉. In comparison, you have mastered the euro because you love the thing. 

Edited by Chez