Bandbell Bamboo Bar and Shoulder Rehab

tja

While my question is not exactly about strength and power, at least one means to enable get there is having joints able to take the beating. I've had rotator cuff issues, tendinitis etc. over the years and recently had to quit bouldering as the shoulders wouldn't recover any longer. I've done a whole lot rehab mobility and all and changed my workout scheme and it looks positive at the moment.

Recently I spotted the world record bench guy doing lots of work with the Bandbell bar in order to strengthen his shoulders for the upcoming feats. Does anyone have 1st hand experience with the Bamboo etc. bars in order to get bad shoulders good again? 

I have only tried it a few times. It gives an incredible pump in the shoulders, so I imagine it should work. Should be done correctly though, with slow and controlled eccentric movement.

I recreate this by looping resistance bands and then hanging the weight from a regular barbell. Feels very similar and is simple to do. Just make keep the hanging weight less than 50% of the total weight to get good oscillations. I also find using anything larger than a 25lb plate causes too many collisions. 

4 hours ago, tja said:

While my question is not exactly about strength and power, at least one means to enable get there is having joints able to take the beating. I've had rotator cuff issues, tendinitis etc. over the years and recently had to quit bouldering as the shoulders wouldn't recover any longer. I've done a whole lot rehab mobility and all and changed my workout scheme and it looks positive at the moment.

Recently I spotted the world record bench guy doing lots of work with the Bandbell bar in order to strengthen his shoulders for the upcoming feats. Does anyone have 1st hand experience with the Bamboo etc. bars in order to get bad shoulders good again? 

I've made the pvc version and it works great. I too have shoulders that have been insulted too many times and while I've just started using the pvc barbell I can feel the difference. I used 90" of 2" pvc, inside that I had 90" of 1.5" pvc and wrapped electrical tape around (ends and middle) that so that it just fit inside the 2" pipe. I put end caps on and hang the weights from bands (currently using 25# plates) about 6" from the ends; initially, the weights need to be placed just outside the stands or the bar will flip.

I'm currently doing multiple sets of 30 reps. Started by taking the bar down till it was about 2-3" off the chest...that was the pain free ROM I had. I can now take it down to the chest.