Axle question

king crusher

Okay so we moved back to WI after living in MN for awhile and one of the new gyms I go to has an axle. I was pretty happy to see that as it's pretty rare in a commercial gym.

How much do they weigh? It is for sure lighter than an ol bar. 20ish pounds?

This one is all black, kind of a matte black color. Pretty darn smooth but not glass smooth. 

Anyone know what this black axle is? Is it going to be similar to the IM one?

I have not touched an axle in 15yrs and only used one once way back in the day.

Pretty humbled as I only locked out what would be 335lbs on a regular bar(so maybe 310-315?) Depending on the axle weight. Got that for two singles and missed my third try. 

I had no chalk with me and the sign says liquid chalk use only.  Maybe I'll get some liquid chalk.

Two days later and my forearms have a soreness that they dont usually have due to this new lift for them.

I am looking forward to doing the axle now once in awhile.

• Like 1

You're gonna just have to weigh it if you don't know the exact model. There are half a dozen axles that fit that description all with different weights. I have a 17lb and a 29lb axle, there's also everything in between even up to 70 or 80lbs for solid ones. Does the gym not have a scale? 

Edited by Climber028
Typo

I think it does have a scale in the bathroom which is on the other side of the gym. So it will remain a mystery lol. No way I'm taking the axle into the bathroom haha. I'll ask one of the trainers walking around if they know.

It does have a yellow line at the midpoint if that helps. 

Yea I would just do it, by the time they notice and tell you to stop you'll have it weighed and be all set. Don't ask for permission, ask for forgiveness. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's probably a no brand knock off of the Rogue axle; 1.9" and 20-25 lbs. Only way to know for sure is to measure the diameter and weigh it.

20 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Yea I would just do it, by the time they notice and tell you to stop you'll have it weighed and be all set. Don't ask for permission, ask for forgiveness. 

As far as being weird and weighing stuff, before I bought a digital gym scale for weighing GripSport lifts would speciality bars things into the bathroom to weigh them. Once I even took the scale (an old doctor's office scale mind you) from the bathroom to the workout floor to weigh stuff. I'm sure I got some funny looks but I found out that the bar was 51 lbs when the gym owner said it was 75 lbs.

3 hours ago, devinhoo said:

It's probably a no brand knock off of the Rogue axle; 1.9" and 20-25 lbs. Only way to know for sure is to measure the diameter and weigh it.

As far as being weird and weighing stuff, before I bought a digital gym scale for weighing GripSport lifts would speciality bars things into the bathroom to weigh them. Once I even took the scale (an old doctor's office scale mind you) from the bathroom to the workout floor to weigh stuff. I'm sure I got some funny looks but I found out that the bar was 51 lbs when the gym owner said it was 75 lbs.

That weight sounds about right. Dia I'm not sure, I do know I can get a hair of my pointer finger just to overlap my thumb but when I actually lift I cant keep it that way. My hands are 8" long and pretty thin. I may weigh it during some off time during a snowstorm when the gym is dead haha

If you train grip and don't own a scale do you really train grip? 😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 ft piece of 1.5 sch 80 pipe is going to be roughly 25.5lbs for the pipe and then maybe another lb for the weight collars so I'd say 27lbs would be a good estimate. 

4 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

7 ft piece of 1.5 sch 80 pipe is going to be roughly 25.5lbs for the pipe and then maybe another lb for the weight collars so I'd say 27lbs would be a good estimate. 

Yea should be about 26.9lbs

Edited by Climber028
Typo

Okay thanks guys. I'll just say 25 to make it easy unless I finally weigh it down the road. 

Any of you guys use liquid chalk? I used it one time and did seem to work pretty well. I'd prefer my good old regular chalk but don't want any issues.