Sledgehammers & Armwrestling

Anthony151

There is some carryover if you know what you’re doing. However most of the common sledge feats that are popular in grip are completely useless for armwrestling. Lever to face and coinlift/deadlifts are completely useless.

• Like 1

I would imagine pronation and radial deviation would be the only really helpful movements. 

18 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

There is some carryover if you know what you’re doing. However most of the common sledge feats that are popular in grip are completely useless for armwrestling. Lever to face and coinlift/deadlifts are completely useless.

What exercises would you recommend?

19 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

What exercises would you recommend?

Pronation, radial and supination exercises with a sledgehammer are good. But in all honestly I think doing them with weights attached to a strap in your hand works better at mimicking the strength needed for armwrestling.

• Like 1

So how important is ulnar deviation in arm wrestling? Do people ever train it seriously? 

3 hours ago, David_wigren said:

Pronation, radial and supination exercises with a sledgehammer are good. But in all honestly I think doing them with weights attached to a strap in your hand works better at mimicking the strength needed for armwrestling.

I would agree with this 100%

23 hours ago, David_wigren said:

Truth. They will give you strength and stability but not much as far as advancement in actually being able to arm wrestle. The straps with weight appear to mimic it much more for specificity.

9 hours ago, David_wigren said:

That's how I prefer to train as well. What I find most annoying with sledges are that they pinch my hands and it hurts like hell. Maybe it could be solved by using a round handle instead of the oval shape most sledges have.

35 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

That's how I prefer to train aw well. What I find most annoying with sledges are that they pinch my hands and it hurts like hell. Maybe it could be solved by using a round handle instead of the oval shape most sledges have.

I think this is the reason so many stop at a 16 pounder and don’t advance much more. They can’t take the discomfort. In my experience, I actually prefer the oval wooded Handle over the round handles. But then again, I experience zero discomfort at all when sledging, no matter the weight. It all depends on what one can tolerate.

4 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I think this is the reason so many stop at a 16 pounder and don’t advance much more. They can’t take the discomfort. In my experience, I actually prefer the oval wooded Handle over the round handles. But then again, I experience zero discomfort at all when sledging, no matter the weight. It all depends on what one can tolerate.

The irony is tho, I have tried barehand steel bending and my hands can actually tolerate quite a lot but nothing hurts my thumb pad like the sledge handles does. It's the only reason I don't use my sledge that much.

6 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Truth. They will give you strength and stability but not much as far as advancement in actually being able to arm wrestle. The straps with weight appear to mimic it much more for specificity.

Exactly. Sledgehammers will make your wrists strong. But not in the specific angles needed for armwrestling. And while there are some benefits of doing them to improve your armwrestling, there are other exercises that will work better if your goal is primarily to get strong at armwrestling.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

it all depends entirely on how you use them , there's huge benifit when using the levers in certain arm-wrestling wrist rotation , pronation , supination , and chopp, also alot of static wrist strength can be gained from them too , anything hammer strength and levers will benefit you on the table.  but being able to apply it is where you'll see the most results