Isolating thumbs for crush strength?

2sweetdadstrength

My goal is to get stronger thumbs for Flask and plate pinches.  I made some pony clamps but I am not sure the best way to get just thumb activation when closing them.

Depending on how small they are, you can make your hand into a fist like you are going play thumb wars and pinch down with your thumb on the clamp. That would completely isolate your thumb. That said, I don't know how much value there is in isolating your thumb. Your thumbs have to create a force equal to and opposing your fingers in order to clamp down on the Flask or plates that you are trying to pinch. Your fingers will always be capable of producing significantly more force, when used together, than your thumb. So, your thumb is doing most of the work by a considerable margin.

Something that has been beneficial to me has been warming up with light work on a really narrow pinch. I think the extra ROM helps you pinch "through" the thicker stuff, in a way. 

• Like 2

Have you considered weighted strap holds using (squeezing) the thumb and a single finger?

Also, mcalpine1986  offered an interesting band thumb curl  exercise that I have yet to incorporate into my training plan but will shortly... see pic here

Edited by Ricochet

The thread title confuses me.  I normally consider "Crush" as gripper strength.  Flask and plate pinches I think of as "pinch" - a small but significant difference perhaps.  The thumb works in many angles depending on the width of the object being pinched - so training needs to mimic that as much as possible.  Most feats that we do are isometric at a given width but some  training should involve movement - hence Pony clamps etc.  The problem with many clamps is they are too hard for people to get a full ROM.  If it was me I would simply train my Pinch at every width available using several rep ranges along with timed holds.  Also learn where to position your thumbs for one versus two hand pinch lifts - technique is HUGE .  

I'm training as if I am pushing my thumb through the device, so maybe crush was a poor word choice.

I like closing an imtug with just my thumb against my palm, but I think high volume anything is mostly what you want here. Even just key pinching a stress ball is good.

18 hours ago, Ricochet said:

Have you considered weighted strap holds using (squeezing) the thumb and a single finger?

Also, mcalpine1986  offered an interesting band thumb curl  exercise that I have yet to incorporate into my training plan but will shortly... see pic here

You need to try it you will love it but keep the volume low at first as it made my thumb pads very sore at first and affected my other lifts. Its an excellent thumb pad isolation exercise with no joint stress. 

I saw this exercise with a gripper on instagram the other day. Kind of like key pinch, but with a gripper, similar to what Squeezus was describing with a clamp. I definitely can't do that with even my HG100, but it's something to work on.

Edited by devinhoo