Carpal Tunnel

Amy

While not totally related to grip strength, I know there are some smarties around here who might have some suggestions and my apologies if this is posted in the wrong spot or there's a thread a mile long on this already.

Any suggestions for relief for moderate to severe carpal tunnel aside from surgery? SO far soft tissue work not helping, some pulsating sound wave something or other, alignment not helping, lotsa stretching - nope, brace at night - nope. Heating pad brings small relief and the egg when her hands are numb, 

Any suggestions? We're desperate. My daughter is 16, is a certified eye lash tech (likely the cause), track and field thrower and miserable. Not sure how I feel about the surgery. Any experience, suggestions or helpful tidbits are most appreciated.

Edited by Amy

4 hours ago, Amy said:

While not totally related to grip strength, I know there are some smarties around here who might have some suggestions and my apologies if this is posted in the wrong spot or there's a thread a mile long on this already.

Any suggestions for relief for moderate to severe carpal tunnel aside from surgery? SO far soft tissue work not helping, some pulsating sound wave something or other, alignment not helping, lotsa stretching - nope, brace at night - nope. Heating pad brings small relief and the egg when her hands are numb, 

Any suggestions? We're desperate. My daughter is 16, is a certified eye lash tech (likely the cause), track and field thrower and miserable. Not sure how I feel about the surgery. Any experience, suggestions or helpful tidbits are most appreciated.

Has it been determined that it is for sure carpal tunnel and not coming from above the wrist? Did they rule out the cervical spine, brachial plexus, etc? Have you had a nerve conduction test? Are you doing carpal tunnel nerve glide exercises? 

• Like 1

I had terrible numbness in my arms and hands at night for a long time last year. Sometimes excruciating. Was losing tons of sleep. 

What helped me was lots of high rep band tricep pushdowns and high rep somewhat heavy sledgehammer pronations /supinations. 

I immediately thought it was carpal too but after some research there are tons of things it could be. 

While there is no golden standard test for CTS clinical tests + nerve conduction  (isn't always accurate) tests are needed before diagnosis. 

The problem with nerve impengement usually is that people start worrying about the symptoms before it's too late.  The time to take action is when you have numbness/tingling/pain during night! 

Taking action too late leads the damage getting worse (neurapraxia->axonotmesis). At this stage the full recovery is going to be slow or even impossible instead of couple weeks/couple of months from neurapraxia. Even as a physio I have to admit surgery is sometimes the best choise if the impingement is severe enough and none of the conversative methods work. 

There is multiple sites for median nerve to be impengement and can affect the choise of treatment. 

There is evidence to support. 

Above all finding the cause and stopping it for period of time or modifying it. Usually it's work related. 

Night splints (20 degrees of extension), using the splint during the day as well doesn't affect the outcome

Nerve gliding exercises, but you can over do them as well

Massage (small amount of evidence)

Blood flow work depending om the site of impingement. 

Figure out a MD or a Physio who actually specializes in these types of conditions. Diagnosis or giving individual treatment plans over the internent without the full picture is unethical. 

Source: I'm doing my thesis on upper extremity nerve impingement 

Edited by Mywor
  • Like 4

Back in 1980 I was on a month long kayaking trip in Alaska. A week or so into the trip, I had pain an numbness in my right hand at night; had no problems during the day. The problem went away once the trip was over. Fast forward a few years and the problem resurfaced. I'd wake up in the middle of the night with pain and the feeling that my hand & fingers were swollen. Note that I was not doing any kayaking at this time or other grip/hand activities that would cause this and it was before the computer age hit. Had the nerve conduction work done and the diagnosis was carpal tunnel. Had the surgery and haven't had any problems since.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 1:38 PM, Lucasraymond said:

Has it been determined that it is for sure carpal tunnel and not coming from above the wrist? Did they rule out the cervical spine, brachial plexus, etc? Have you had a nerve conduction test? Are you doing carpal tunnel nerve glide exercises? 

Thanks all for the info all! We're scheduling the nerve conduction test just to verify it is in fact carpal tunnel and the degree of it. I don't know anything about nerve glide exercises, sounds like something I need to read up on. I'm just struggling as mom because I've had a long history of pain related to grip training and learned how to work through it and manage it. So I like to think this is workable without needing to go the surgery route, especially at 16 years old.

I've pulled out all my tricks and relief remedies for her without short term relief. So input on things that have been helpful and gaining others perspective is helpful. One of my strongman training partners had carpal tunnel surgery and it caused ongoing issues with her grip for a long time. Or she attributes those issues to the surgery. Since she's a thrower, I don't want to cause anything that could potentially negatively impact her ability in that arena.

38 minutes ago, Amy said:

Thanks all for the info all! We're scheduling the nerve conduction test just to verify it is in fact carpal tunnel and the degree of it. I don't know anything about nerve glide exercises, sounds like something I need to read up on. I'm just struggling as mom because I've had a long history of pain related to grip training and learned how to work through it and manage it. So I like to think this is workable without needing to go the surgery route, especially at 16 years old.

I've pulled out all my tricks and relief remedies for her without short term relief. So input on things that have been helpful and gaining others perspective is helpful. One of my strongman training partners had carpal tunnel surgery and it caused ongoing issues with her grip for a long time. Or she attributes those issues to the surgery. Since she's a thrower, I don't want to cause anything that could potentially negatively impact her ability in that arena.

I am a physical therapist (6.5years); so having treatment experience but the key is correct diagnosis first. Just google carpal tunnel tendon glides. Who made the splint she was wearing and when is she wearing it? 

• Like 1