CANCELED - 2021 North American Grip Sport Championships - June 5th - Ottawa, Canada

Eric Roussin

***CANCELED*** With the way things are looking, it’s very unlikely that life will be back to normal and the US/Canada land border will be open in time for this contest. Hoping for 2022.

For the first time ever, the GSI North American Grip Sport Championships will be coming to Canada. This will be the biggest grip contest I’ve ever organized (excluding multi-venue comps). If you’ve never attended one of my contests, you won’t want to miss this one! 

2021 North American Grip Sport Championships

June 5th, 2021

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Events:

Silver Bullet
Two-Hand Flask
Two-Hand 2 3/8” Napalm’s Nightmare
Little Big Horn (6” lift)
Two-Hand Tips Tester 
40-Item Grip Medley (Men) / 20-Item Grip Medley (Women)

Weight Classes:

Men’s 83 kg
Men’s 105 kg
Men’s 105+ kg
Men’s 50+ Years Open
Women’s Open

Impressive awards for top three finishers in each class!

Tentative Schedule:

Weigh-Ins: 9 am to 10:30 am
Contest Start: 11 am

Entry Fee - $50 USD / $60 CAD 

Last Man Standing Format / Percentage-Based Scoring

Venue TBA

You must qualify in order to compete in this contest. Complete information on how to qualify can be found in this thread:

Here is the list of competitors who have already qualified:

Contact Eric Roussin (eroussin@rogers.com, 613-986-1724 or by private message) to register and/or for additional information.

• Like 10

45 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I like the event selection. 

I'm halfway between Ottawa and Detroit.  Break the trip up, i'll do all the driving from Waterloo

• Like 3

On 11/27/2019 at 7:33 AM, Rob McMurren said:

I'm halfway between Ottawa and Detroit.  Break the trip up, i'll do all the driving from Waterloo

Rob must mean a metric half. I think @Andrew P will find its more like a Yankee quarter. 

I don't want to miss this one. Would be nice to visit Ottawa in the summer for a change!

• Haha 1

I have retired as lineal Masters champ.  Who will take the title this year?  Gus?  Or will someone be travelling to the great white north to challenge him?

@Kluv#0 @WestSlope

11 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I have retired as lineal Masters champ.  Who will take the title this year?  Gus?  Or will someone be travelling to the great white north to challenge him?

@Kluv#0 @WestSlope

Until they beat you, anyone that wins is a “paper champ”... 🧻 

21 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Until they beat you, anyone that wins is a “paper champ”... 🧻 

Not how it works Joe. You want to call Luke Raymond "paper champ" since he won entire overall NAGS title despite Tanner, Jedd, Adam and Aaron not competing? I didn't think so. Steve Millard shows up he is kicking ass and that is facts.

1 minute ago, Kluv#0 said:

Not how it works Joe. You want to call Luke Raymond "paper champ" since he won entire overall NAGS title despite Tanner, Jedd, Adam and Aaron not competing? I didn't think so. Steve Millard shows up he is kicking ass and that is facts.

It’s called a joke, Miguel.... 🤦‍♂️ it’s a Rocky movie reference 🍿 

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

It’s called a joke, Miguel.... 

Joke or not I made a terrific point:)

20 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Mike. I'm nothing special, but if I'm able to train hard and stay healthy I can on occasion pull something special on the platform. At least as far as oldsters are concerned.

The real question is how I would hang in for what promises to be a marathon competition.

Come on out of retirement Rindo. Come kick my a$$ if you think you can. We can have time outs if our hips start bothering us.

Besides the fact that You would beat me in my prime, I'm not going to be able to lift anything heavy with my right arm for a few months.  Torn tendon. I will live on as the lineal champ forever. Haha.

Besides, even without the elbow, I was 100% serious when I said,

000 00 000,f8f8f8-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u3.jpg

• Sad 1

@Mike Rinderle

Just because I gave you a shout out as one of the people I admire in my MM1 profile, so now there is nothing more left to achieve in life, I really didn't mean to take away your motivation.  I am sure there are some other milestones worth achieving.

LOL, heal up man, we'd like to see you at comps again.  51 or 52 is nothing.  I'm 50 and I'm just getting started.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Cash prizes added! The top 6 overall finishers will receive cash in the following amounts (USD):

1st - $750
2nd - $500
3rd - $300
4th - $200
5th - $150
6th - $100

If you've qualified and have been sitting on the fence about whether you'll be attending, hopefully you'll find that this sweetens the pot!

If you haven't qualified yet, maybe this will motivate you to try!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be a cash prize of $300 for the winner of the women's division!

• Like 2

Yesterday I visited the Dynamo Barbell Club, the venue of the North American Grip Sport Championships. It’s the perfect spot for this contest, featuring plenty of space to spread out the 60 medley items (40 for the men, 20 for the women).

By the way, look for the list of medley events to be announced in February. It will be quite a challenge!

For those who will be looking for lodging arrangements, the Sandman Signature Ottawa Airport Hotel is about a 5-minute drive away from the venue. The hotel is also only about ten minutes away from the airport. There are several restaurants next to the hotel, including a Chinese buffet!

https://www.sandmanhotels.com/locations/ontario/ottawa/hotels/signature-ottawa-airport-zyow

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

For those who will be looking for lodging arrangements, the Sandman Signature Ottawa Airport Hotel is about a 5-minute drive away from the venue. The hotel is also only about ten minutes away from the airport. There are several restaurants next to the hotel, including a Chinese buffet!

https://www.sandmanhotels.com/locations/ontario/ottawa/hotels/signature-ottawa-airport-zyow

Just to throw it out there, Ottawa is great city with lots to do if you bring your family. There's also great fishing around the area.  And it wont be 30 below in June. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I present to you the list of feats that will be included in the men’s 40-item grip medley:

Lift a Stronger Grip Monster Bell loaded to 140 lbs (3” rotating handle)
Do one rep with the World of Grip Wrist Developer (orange spring, fourth notch on both sides)
Lift 160 lbs with the World of Grip Handshake
Do a two-hand deadlift of 175 lbs using the 3” side of the Sorinex 3” x 4” Saxon Bar
Lift 165 lbs with the Rolling Thunder
Lift a 132-lb clevis by grasping a 3.3” rotating pin with one hand
Lift a 25-lb plate by the hub (shallow)
Lift 105 lbs with the Dube Wellington Pinch
Lift a 45-lb plate by the hub
Lift 35 lbs with the Delmar Carter Anvil Stub
Lift 190 lbs with the Barrel Strength Stirrup
Close an IronMind Captains of Crush #2 Gripper from at least a parallel set
Lever a 12-lb sledge to the rear (coin on top) (32” handle length)
Close an IronMind Captains of Crush #3 Gripper from at least a parallel set
Lift a 100-lb plate by the hub with two hands using a key pinch grip
Lift 85 lbs with the Arm Assassin Thumb Blaster (1 5/8” version)
Close an IronMind IMTug #3 Gripper with the pinky finger
Supinate a 6-lb sledge from the floor until it is vertical (32” handle length)
Lift 110 lbs with the FBBC 8-lb Bomb
Perform a sledge finger walk (4-lb sledge with 12.5 lbs added weight – 6” distance to travel)
Lift 95 lbs with the Wrist Wrench
Lift 35 lbs with the IronMind Stacker
Do a double Inch Replica Dumbbell lift
Lift 170 lbs with the Sorinex Anvil Trainer
Lift a 172-lb anvil by the face with two hands (4.5” wide)
Do a double Slim lever with 15 lbs loaded onto the Arm Assassin Double Sledge
Lift 70 lbs with the FBBC Double Barreled Bastard Blaster
Lift 300 lbs with the IronMind R-Ring Handle
Tear a deck of cards
Lift 275 lbs with the Country Crush 3” Monster Crush
Lift 230 lbs with a 2” diameter rope (vertical lift)
Pronate 20 lbs with the IronMind Wrist Reinforcer from the floor until it is vertical
Lift 30 lbs with the World of Grip GlobTop
Lift the Blob50
Lift 50 lbs with the Stronger Grip Red Rafter using a clamp grip
Lift a 49-lb anvil by the tail using a key pinch grip
Lift 20 lbs with the Dube Cube Bearing
Lift 225 lbs with the FBBC 2” V-Bar
Lift an 80-lb anvil by the face with one hand
Lift a 150-lb anvil by the horn
Each competitor will have four minutes to complete as many of these feats as possible.

I’m not going to lie – this is one tough medley. But given this year’s NAGS Championships may very well attract the continent’s strongest field of grip sport competitors to date, I wanted to include a true challenge of grip supremacy.

And just to make things even more interesting, as a special bonus $500 USD will be awarded to anyone who manages to complete all 40 feats within the allotted time! All of the individual feats in this medley have been done before, so the challenge IS possible!

(In the small possibility that more than one person accomplishes this monumentous achievement, the $500 pot will be split amongst the winners.)

Before this medley starts to cause you concern, let me explain the scoring system that I’ve developed. (Note that this isn’t necessarily the system that will ultimately be used, but if it changes, it will be quite similar to this.)

Within a class, the minimal score a competitor can get is 60 points. The best lifter will be awarded 100 points. Then standard percentage-based scoring will apply within these boundaries. 

• For example, say the best result in the 83 kg class is 10 feats. This competitor earns 100 points for the medley. The worst result is 3 feats. So this competitor earns 72 points (3/10 of 40, plus 60). Someone with a result of 8 would get 92 points (8/10 of 40, plus 60).
  • In the overall standings, let’s say someone manages all 40 feats. He would get the max score of 100. The top 83 kg competitor who managed 10 feats would get 70 points in the overall standings (10/40 of 40, plus 60).
  • So whether in an individual weight class or in the overall standings, the minimum score for the medley is 60 (all feats missed).

Stay tuned for the list of items that will be included in the women’s medley!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

I’m not going to lie – this is one tough medley.

No, you did not lie.

And 10/40 for 80 kg sounds about right lol.  For me anyway.  I love that it is 4 minutes - I can do all the ones I know I can do in maybe 2 minutes and then do a couple hail marys on the ones I think I have a longshot at.  It will be very fun to do and watch this medley!

23 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

$500 USD will be awarded to anyone who manages to complete all 40 feats within the allotted time!

And I will also buy him a beer.

I have to say, I think there might be a handful of guys (and not much more than that) who could do all these feats, and maybe one or more of those guys will be there (you may be one of those guys, Eric) -- but I HIGHLY DOUBT that even someone who can do all these feats can do them all in four minutes.

Will be thrilled to see me proved wrong, but I predict a couple of results in the 30s by some elite folks who just couldn't get to all 40 or couldn't manage a few of them because of the fatigue of having done all the others, with those guys showing after the 4 minutes was up that they indeed could actually do the feats.

But like I said, thrilled to find out I am wrong.

• Like 1

It took me 4 minutes to read that list. Some of the things are so hard that I laughed out loud. You'd have to be a total badass to get that whole medley in 40min. That said, I love it. I hope @Boulderbrew makes it up to this comp. I would love to see his run on it.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Squeezus said:

It took me 4 minutes to read that list. Some of the things are so hard that I laughed out loud. You'd have to be a total badass to get that whole medley in 40min. That said, I love it. I hope @Boulderbrew makes it up to this comp. I would love to see his run on it.

Are you going? 

9 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

Are you going? 

No plan to at the moment, but at the very least, I still wanna watch your run on YouTube.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@Eric Roussin will you be using rated grippers for the silver bullet? I'm specifically interested in the 4 rating if its known.

• Like 1