Silver bullet question

devinhoo

I'm slowly getting back into grippers after taking a few months off, but I need to be working on my SB for the Arnold in March. Right now my toughest gripper is a CoC3 rated 146, so I know I need to buy a 3.5 and maybe even a 4 to get ready for the comp. I'm wondering if it's worth it to wait for a really tough gripper to practice SB holds, or if I should get one that is average. 

Right now CPW has a CoC3.5 rated 181 for sale—which is around average—but I don't know if it is better to practice with an average or a hard gripper. I could always wait until he posts more rated grippers and hope that there is a harder 3.5 or even a 4. I could also just buy that 3.5 and then also buy an unrated 4 and have it rated.

TL;DR
Wait for rated CoC 3.5/4 or just buy a random one?

Edited by devinhoo
  • Like 1

I would say work with the hardest gripper you are capable of. You don’t know what you are gonna get come competition time. Work with the hardest one you can. Silver bullet is one of those things that a few sets max is all you need per week. Very easy to overthink and overtrain grippers. Less is more, but work with the most you can. This is my opinion and what works best for me. Trial and error is ultimately what you need to do.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a follow up question, since I got more grippers for Christmas. Would it be a faux pas to train silver bullet with a non-CoC gripper? I got a Grip Genie 6 as a present, and while I haven’t rated it yet I know from others that have been rated that it’s probably in the mid-high 180’s (around the same as a CoC3.5). The knurling on the GG grippers seems pretty similar to the CoC line as well, not overly aggressive like the GHP or smooth like the HG’s. 

Edited by devinhoo

Definitely not a faux pas.  For training setting and getting a hold, I would prefer COC just because it will likely be more similar.  But nothing wrong with practice on something hard enough to make you work.  I do have two extra COC 3.5s if you want to try them when you are in town.

Edited by Vinnie

Variety is always great just be mindful of the handle diameter as any difference would emphasize a slightly different range of motion, even tho this is barely noticeable it's best to train for a competition with the exact implements. If you just want to get strong, then use anything and everything at your disposal. 

• Like 3

Specificity is the key, man, if you want to get good at a certain event for the events sake. I can tell you I recently acquired some different grippers with different handles and spread than COC (the only grippers I’ve ever worked with).... and going back to the COCs with the wider spread was a shocker! I could not man handle the previous grippers from COC of the same rating as the ones I was man handling with the narrow spread and different  handles. I will never again use grippers with  a narrow spread or thinner handles for training. Totally ruined what I was capable of for a few weeks with COC of the same rating. Didn’t take long to get back to where I was though. It’s never fun having to work back up to something due to a training mishap. 

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2019 at 5:47 PM, Vinnie said:

Definitely not a faux pas.  For training setting and getting a hold, I would prefer COC just because it will likely be more similar.  But nothing wrong with practice on something hard enough to make you work.  I do have two extra COC 3.5s if you want to try them when you are in town.

I might take you up on this for next year. I probably won't be on Long Island again until after The Arnold, but I'll be living there next year so we can train together!

On 12/25/2019 at 6:46 PM, Joseph Sullivan said:

Specificity is the key, man, if you want to get good at a certain event for the events sake. I can tell you I recently acquired some different grippers with different handles and spread than COC (the only grippers I’ve ever worked with).... and going back to the COCs with the wider spread was a shocker! I could not man handle the previous grippers from COC of the same rating as the ones I was man handling with the narrow spread and different  handles. I will never again use grippers with  a narrow spread or thinner handles for training. Totally ruined what I was capable of for a few weeks with COC of the same rating. Didn’t take long to get back to where I was though. It’s never fun having to work back up to something due to a training mishap. 

I hear you on specificity, I tried going from the narrow spread of the Heavy Grips to the wider spread of the Captains of Crush and it was a nightmare. I'm trying to build a gripper collection right now and recently bought an actual silver bullet (rather than just using the end of another gripper), I just don't have a CoC3.5 yet. My GG6 came back with an RGC of 189 though, so it's definitely on par with the CoC3.5, but I'll take your advice and treat it as a separate exercise.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2020 at 10:10 AM, devinhoo said:

I might take you up on this for next year. I probably won't be on Long Island again until after The Arnold, but I'll be living there next year so we can train together!

Sorry to hijack, but what's bringing you out to our godforsaken sandbar?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

Sorry to hijack, but what's bringing you out to our godforsaken sandbar?

haha, I'm in medical school and next year I'll be at StonyBrook Southhampton Hospital for my third year rotations. My partner's family lives on Long Island as well, so it might be a home base for 4th year as well. 

Edited by devinhoo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

First attempt with the CoC3.5 for the silver bullet went pretty well today. Thanks for the feedback guys. 👍

• Like 1

Nice!  I just tried getting a hold with a 216 COC 4 and NOT EVEN CLOSE.  Since I don't know if they will have a light 4 at the Arnold, I am sticking with 3.5.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Nice!  I just tried getting a hold with a 216 COC 4 and NOT EVEN CLOSE.  Since I don't know if they will have a light 4 at the Arnold, I am sticking with 3.5.

That's how I felt about the CoC3.5 a month ago when I was visiting Santa Cruz Strength. Seemed impossible. But then again two months ago I got the same time on my #3 as I did with my #3.5 today... I have a month and a half, so maybe I can pull a rabbit out of a hat and get a few seconds on the #4 at the Arnold.

Good luck!  I am playing it safe.  3.5 for any amount of time is respectable in my weight class and I might miss the 3.5 if I blow the 4 and have only 30 seconds.

• Like 1