Quick way to compare hardness of bending stock

Squeezus

Hey, y'all. I posted this on IG already, but I was bending some 9/32 drill rod last week and found some newer stock to be surprisingly easy. I came across some older stock (also 9/32" O1 Drill Rod) from McMaster and decided to compare the two. Before I bent the old McMaster piece, I was messing around and smacked the nails together (not super hard) and realized that I had dented one of them. The other was barely marked. Unsurprisingly, the nail that dented less was much more difficult, presumably because it had higher surface hardness. Anyone ever try this method to compare relative hardness of bending stock?

• Like 1

I cut some hot roll and some cold roll but then dropped them and they are all mixed up- I'll give this a try - thanks!

• Like 1

Handy! This can go in a “toolkit” for evaluating stock that includes the angle of the bend (a rounder U shape is easier, pointier V shape is harder) and the “ring test” where you drop the stock and listen to the pitch it makes when it rings (I think higher pitches are harder stock - this was from Jedd’s book). 

Update! I tried it again with some more stuff.

I suspect this would only work with stock made of the same metal, but the comparison should hold true especially when the difference is easily noticeable. I also don't think people bend exotic metals so you wouldn't come across an atypical combination of hardness and strength. 

3 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

I suspect this would only work with stock made of the same metal, but the comparison should hold true especially when the difference is easily noticeable. I also don't think people bend exotic metals so you wouldn't come across an atypical combination of hardness and strength. 

It would be interesting to see how well it correlates with SS and Brass. I welcome other GB members to join in on the science-ing.