Anyone ever do this grip test with fire bricks?

Blacksmith513

So lately I've been getting into grip training. Besides for the fact I love exercising, I guess what inspired me to start grip training was my grandpa. He was a brick and stone mason. He never worked out, except for whatever he had to do in the service. He really was like a John Wayne character... Everybody still talks about how big his arms where, and how strong he was.. A cop went after him when he was stationed in France, and he grabbed the cops by the hands and  said felt them crush.  Anyways, I told my dad (who also really strong), I'm gonna beat your dads record. He laughed and said, "good luck, no one ever came close".  I went to Lowes this morning and got firebrick, mine are 1.25inches but he used 2.5inch ones... He'd stack 5 or 6 this way, like in the pictures. I can do 3 with the ones I bought. I'm curious to see how he stacks up against you guys who are actually grip athletes. 

Just so you guys know i'm telling the truth, here is a picture of him, when he was in his 60s. 

IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

• Like 1

Very popular old time grip workout. So popular that ironmind makes a training tool called the stacker that simulates it. I've never seen it be contested but would love to, tho the judging would be very difficult. 

TheStacker.jpg

• Like 1

^ Its funny, I bought 5 fire brick. Figuring thats all I need for now, and it is. But I dawned on me, I'll just stack my 2.5-10lbs weights on top of these brick, as needed. Someday, I want to beat my grandfathers record. 

• Like 1

Would probably be easiest to judge if you were actually using real bricks. But you would probably need bricks with different weight to separate people.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I have done 10 bricks 🧱 like these a ones. The red house bricks. Never tried or heard of “fire bricks”.

Damn, that is strong.  Firebrick, are what you use in fireplaces, or where there is fire... Clay bricks, crack in fire.

The fire brick he used are a lot heavier and wider then a standard clay brick. But I'd say, 10 clay brick is pretty comparable to 5 or 6 Fire brick.   I watch your videos and you have amazing grip strength (it also saddens me to see those anvils used for anything but forging😜).

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Damn, that is strong.  Firebrick, are what you use in fireplaces, or where there is fire... Clay bricks, crack in fire.

The fire brick he used are a lot heavier and wider then a standard clay brick. But I'd say, 10 clay brick is pretty comparable to 5 or 6 Fire brick.   I watch your videos and you have amazing grip strength (it also saddens me to see those anvils used for anything but forging😜).

Haha thanks... and anvils are made for gripping! Just like boots are made for walking!

44 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I have done 10 bricks 🧱 like these a ones. The red house bricks. Never tried or heard of “fire bricks”.

You and Adam were first to my mind about guys who would destroy this feat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Climber028 said:

Maybe I’ll get some fire bricks from the hardware store and try it.

1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Maybe I’ll get some fire bricks from the hardware store and try it.

Lowes sells them, but they only have the smaller ones like I have. A mason yard should have the 2.5 inch thick ones. I think the actual dimensions are 2.5x4.5x9 inches.

• Like 1

I’ll play ball on this and no one is stacking more bricks than my left hand right now 🦞🦞🦞🦞🦞🦞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

So lately I've been getting into grip training. Besides for the fact I love exercising, I guess what inspired me to start grip training was my grandpa. He was a brick and stone mason. He never worked out, except for whatever he had to do in the service. He really was like a John Wayne character... Everybody still talks about how big his arms where, and how strong he was.. A cop went after him when he was stationed in France, and he grabbed the cops by the hands and  said felt them crush.  Anyways, I told my dad (who also really strong), I'm gonna beat your dads record. He laughed and said, "good luck, no one ever came close".  I went to Lowes this morning and got firebrick, mine are 1.25inches but he used 2.5inch ones... He'd stack 5 or 6 this way, like in the pictures. I can do 3 with the ones I bought. I'm curious to see how he stacks up against you guys who are actually grip athletes. 

Just so you guys know i'm telling the truth, here is a picture of him, when he was in his 60s. 

IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

Is he wanted by the mob? Why scribble out his face. Pretty civil crowd this grip board 🤔🤔🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️👮‍♀️👮‍♀️👮‍♀️👮‍♀️

7 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

Is he wanted by the mob? Why scribble out his face. Pretty civil crowd this grip board 🤔🤔🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️👮‍♀️👮‍♀️👮‍♀️👮‍♀️

Lol, no he died 15 years ago I just did it out of respect. I don't know if he even knew what the internet was, but he wouldn't want his face on it.

Its funny you say that, not to change the subject, but years ago a bookie at the horse track was ordered to stab my grandfather (he canceled the bet but the bookie still put it through and my grandfather refused the pay up)... He didn't do it, and years later told my grandfather about it, and said he was afraid because he was so big.

Edited by Blacksmith513

To each his own 👍 I’m not that big but my tendons are 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

Good choices and I will add Luke Raymond💪

1 hour ago, AdamTGlass said:

Oh that is scribbled out? I thought that's just how he looked? Lol

Grandpa has big arms.

• Haha 1

The firebricks  with dimensions of  9" x 4.5" x 2.5" brick weigh 3lb. 7 oz..   1 + 6 across would weigh about 25 lb 9 0z or there about. The heaviest brick lift I ever read about was Herman Goerner's lift of 88 1/4 lb. I believe he used paver bricks that weighed between 8-9 lbs, using a total of 10 bricks

22 hours ago, Rick Browne said:

The firebricks  with dimensions of  9" x 4.5" x 2.5" brick weigh 3lb. 7 oz..   1 + 6 across would weigh about 25 lb 9 0z or there about. The heaviest brick lift I ever read about was Herman Goerner's lift of 88 1/4 lb. I believe he used paver bricks that weighed between 8-9 lbs, using a total of 10 bricks

That is really impressive.  I've done my fair share of patios, I've never seen old pavers except brick or granite cobble stones, but I'm sure they where heavier than they are today.  I've read about Herman Goerner before, those old time strongmen where something else. They did so much with so little. 

*edit, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure those fire brick weigh more than 3.7lbs.  Again, I could be wrong. But they feel like they weigh more than a clay brick, which has to weigh 4.5-5lbs.

Edited by Blacksmith513

30 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

That is really impressive.  I've done my fair share of patios, I've never seen old pavers except brick or granite cobble stones, but I'm sure they where heavier than they are today.  I've read about Herman Goerner before, those old time strongmen where something else. They did so much with so little. 

*edit, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure those fire brick weigh more than 3.7lbs.  Again, I could be wrong. But they feel like they weigh more than a clay brick, which has to weigh 4.5-5lbs.

with apologies I will correct my bad calculations. The 9 x 4.5 x 2.5 firebrick has a nominal weight of 7 lb. The "split" or 9 x 4.5 . 1.25 brick weighs 3 .8 lbs. There is another sized firebrick that is 9 x 4.5 x 3 and this one  weighs 8.5 lbs. Give or take.