The Iron Wrist training log

bruce1337

I will try and log my grip workouts here. I am new to grip so any advice will be kindly appreciated.

Current weight: 77kg

Currents grip feats:

RB160 MMS
CoC#1 12 CCS
CoC#2 Silver Bullet 13.75s
IM Axle deadlift - 100kg
IM pinch block - 23.4kg
Silarukov blob - 18kg

Edited by bruce1337
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

I will try and log my grip workouts here. I am new to grip so any advice will be kindly appreciated.

Current weight: 77kg

Currents grip feats:

RB160 MMS
CoC#1 12 CCS
CoC#2 Silver Bullet 13.75s
IM Axle deadlift - 100kg
IM pinch block - 23.4kg
Silarukov blob - 18kg

Good Luck! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I started RRBT a few days ago and injured a tendon straight away. After consideration I have decided to stop running RRBT for now and wait until my base strength is better before starting it up again.

In the meantime (while my finger heals) I thought I would share a workout plan I have in order to maximize my crushing strength gains. Since I am still new to grip sports I have a lot of room to improve, I think running a strength base cycle similar to my Olympic squat routine would work quite well. Now I know the muscles in the legs and hands are completely different, but I am just experimenting with the idea and I want to see how well I can progress.

Before I get into the workout plan I would like to give some insight into how I program my squat cycle and how I plan to incorporate it into grip training. This method requires A LOT of micro loading. This is easy for barbell lifts, but not for grippers, hence why a Vulcan is optimal. I will be using the RGC Values quoted he. Even if the RGC value for each Vulcan gripper is different, the resistance ratio should still be the same whether you have a new or old spring.

The way I plan my squat program is based on 3 phases: Hypertrophy, strength, and peaking.

• Hypertrophy is simple, high volume with a linear progressive overload.
  • Strength is a little more complex, high intensity and lower volume, but with adjusted rep maxes based on reps performed at relative intensities (I will explain this later).
  • Peaking is simple, test you max

To program what weight I will use, I need to figure out my 1 rep max (in this case being the heaviest gripper I can close) and taking its RGC value for calculating percentage based progressive overload. For e.g. If my 1 rep max on a squat was 100kg, and I wanted to do 5x5 @ 70%, then I would be training with 70kg.

I will apply the same principle to grip training. If the heaviest gripper I can close is at an RGC of 100, then an RGC 70 gripper would be my working gripper. But lets say that I had a gripper that I could easily close and a goal gripper which I cant close yet and would like to figure out my potential rep max, then I would use the Epley Formula to calculate my potential rep max: 1RM=(Reps x Load x 0.033) + Load with Load being the RGC value. This formula works best in the 3-8 rep range (5 being optimal), if I can do more than 8 reps then I need a heavier gripper to calculate my 1 rep max.

So here's the workout plan (also feel free to try it out yourself and message me with your results).

Phase 1 | Hypertrophy

Here I train grip twice a week, prefferably during a squat session, and allow at least 3 days rest between the two

Day 1 - 5 sets of 10 reps, 60%
Day 2 - 5 sets of 6 reps, 70%

I repeat this every week working up in the percentage (around 2.5% per week) until I can do 5x10 @ 70% and 5x6 @ 80%. If on one day I fail to make the 10 or 6 reps, then I repeat the program next week until I can hit every single rep. This should take at least a month to accomplish and after that my tendons should be ready for a strength phase.

Phase 2 | Strength

Here is where things get complicated. I will perform these once a week, again on a squat day

Week

Sets

Reps

% of 1 rep max

83%

2 (Rep max)

3+ (Amrap)

87%

3 (Deload)

60%

88%

91%

6 (Rep max)

1+

97%

7 (Deload)

65%

On the days with a "+" , I will perform reps of 3 for the first 3 sets, then on the final set I will go for As Many Reps As Possible (AMRAP). The point is to push for a new potential 1 rep max. For example, if my current best close was a 100rgc, then Id be attempting a gripper of 87rgc. Lets say I hit that gripper for a total of 7 reps, then I would use the Epley formula and calculate my new 1 rep max (107rgc). I will now calculate the rest of the weeks program with my new potential rep max.

By week 6 I should have my strength increased, so much so that my current heaviest gripper closed (100rgc) should theoretically go up because of my potential rep max being higher. So I will attempt 2 sets at 97% of my theoretical rep max and then one set for AMRAP. If I can do more than 1 rep then my potential has increased and I should be ready for peaking.

Phase 3 | Peaking

This phase is very simple, I will just attempt to close a heavier gripper than my current max gripper. From what I have seen, I think Holle's grip routine is perferct for peaking. I will split it into 2 days per week depending on how my hands feel, if I feel weak I can bring it down to one day per week.

On one day I will have 4 to 6 attempts (MMS to wide set) at a goal gripper, then 4 to 6 attempts (MMS to wide set) at the heaviest gripper that I can close.
The other day I will perform the exact same thing except with a CCS.

Feel free to try this program out for yourselves and give me a detailed response on your gains (if any).

Just to reiterate, this program is based off my squat program and I have never tested it for grip so far. I have not seen anyone calculate potential rep maxes for their grip before so I don't even know if the Epley formula works for grip strength. The formula works for all major compound lifts so it should theoretically work for crushing grip strength, but that will need to be tested.

Edited by bruce1337
  • Like 1

You need to divide the difference with 2 for the formulas to get close to accurate for one handed stuff. The formulas are not created for just one side of the body, they are created for lifts where you use both sides of your body and they will not work for one handed grip training.

• Like 1

@Fist of Fury the formula should work regardless of the fact that im using one hand.

For example if i do 30kg dumbell bench for 10 reps, it will calculate my max at 40kg.

If i combine the dumbell weights (60kg) and put it in the formula, it comes out at 80kg, exactly double.

My best close is an RB160 (98), most days I can close my coc#1 (78) for 8 reps.

If I use the formula I get exactly 98 as my calculated rep max.

It could be just a coincidence that it worked for me and most people might get wildly different results, but I think for now its a good way of determining maximal strength.

Im also curious as to how well it work for others. E.g. take your 5 rep max gripper (or any other rep max from 3 to 8 reps) and see what the formula says is your rep max. Does it equal to your current best close?

Edited by bruce1337

I can ensure you it will not work with grippers. I have tried and it will not be accurate way of predicting 1RM.

When you're doing a dumbbell press you're using both sides of your body...

So when you say divide the difference you mean (load x reps x 0.033) divided by 2? Then add that to my load for my rep max?

Yeah the epley formula can vary for a lot of people, but I will try calculating it using your method and see how it goes.

2 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

So when you say divide the difference you mean (load x reps x 0.033) divided by 2? Then add that to my load for my rep max?

Yeah the epley formula can vary for a lot of people, but I will try calculating it using your method and see how it goes.

100 x 5 x 0.0333 / 2 = 8.325

It might be ok at lower level (although I doubt it) but at higher level it's very far from the truth to follow these forumals without dividing the difference. If it were true my 1RM would be a lot higher. When divided it's actually very accurate.

1 minute ago, Fist of Fury said:

100 x 5 x 0.0333 / 2 = 8.325

It might be ok at lower level (although I doubt it) but at higher level it's very far from the truth to follow these forumals without dividing the difference. If it were true my 1RM would be a lot higher. When divided it's actually very accurate.

Ah okay, I would rather divide it from the beginning and have something that I can follow throughout my entire training than mixing it up. Thanks for the tip

Front squat:

Warmup: Barbell (20kg) x 6, 40kg x 6, 50kg x 6, 60kg x 6, 70kg x 6

Working set: 5 x 6 @ 82.5kg

OHP:

Warmup: Barbell x 10, 30kg x 8, 40kg x 5, 50kg x 5

Working set: 5 x 3 @ 60kg

Bottoms up kettlebell press:

3 x 5 @ 8kg, 2 x 5 @ 12kg

FatGripz cable wrist curls:

3 x 12 @ 10kg

Notes: My finger is still healing though the pain has subsided a lot. I am refraining from putting any stress on my crushing strength until it has completely healed.

Edited by bruce1337

Ring finger still healing, so I did some two finger closes with a HG150 for 3 sets of 5.

High bar back squat:

Warmup: Bar, 40kg, 50kg, 60kg x 10

Working set: 5 x 10 @ 80kg

In between sets: HG150 two finger close for 5 reps

FatGripz dumbbell row:

RH: 18kg, 3 x 5 (my ring finger still hurts like hell, maybe I need to lay off any grip work until its healed, and maybe go see a doctor about it)

LH: 30kg, 3 x 5

Definitely don't do any thick bar or pinch if your finger hurts, that's even worse than training grippers.

I don't think a doctor can help you, rest is what you need and that's probably what a doctor would recommend as well. It might take months for it to heal, just be patient and don't quit. I had the same issue when I started, it was frustrating.

Focus on building up your strength in the other hand in the meanwhile. That will actually help for the hand you're not training as well. It's all neurological, if you teach one brain half to do something the other half will follow to some extent automatically.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Focus on building up your strength in the other hand in the meanwhile. That will actually help for the hand you're not training as well. It's all neurological, if you teach one brain half to do something the other half will follow to some extent automatically.

That sounds like a great idea! Is it still good to do two finger closes to strengthen my index and middle? Maybe also do some thumb work?

Thanks for the advice 💪

1 hour ago, bruce1337 said:

That sounds like a great idea! Is it still good to do two finger closes to strengthen my index and middle? Maybe also do some thumb work?

Thanks for the advice 💪

Do anything that doesn't affect your injury. Always try to find a way to train "around" injuries.

• Thanks 1

Good mornings:

50kg 5 x 5

Vulcan 1 (Gold spring):

LH warmup: 1-1, 2-1, 2-2

3-2 MMS close PR

3-3 x 3 attempts, missed

HG150:

RH: 2 finger closes 3 x 10

LH: 3 x 20 speed reps MMS

Bottoms up kettlebell press:

8kg 1 x 12, 12kg 3 x 8

FatGripz cable wrist curls:

12kg 3 x 10

Edited by bruce1337

Front squat:

5 x 5 @ 85kg

Grippers:

RH: 3 x 5 HG150

LH: 4 x 4 Vulcan Level 5

Wrist roller:

3 x 4 rolls with 16kg kettlebell (pic related)

3x5kg plate pinch for 20 reps each hand

received_745837485856084.jpeg

Edited by bruce1337

Hit a pr today! Closed the RB160 with my left hand. I just had an urge to crush it!

• Like 2

RDL: With lifting strap on right hand

3x8 70kg

Barbell Press:

3x8 40kg

2 Finger (index and middle) plate pinch:

2x5 with 2 x 5kg plates

3x2 with 3 x 5kg plates

FatGripz DB deadlift:

RH: 20kg, 30kg, 36kg

LH: 20kg, 30kg, 36kg, 40kg, 44kg

Missed lifts LH: 50kg, 48kg

FatGripz cable bicep curl

3x12 10kg

Edited by bruce1337

• 3 weeks later...

Been away from the gym for the past few weeks for Christmas holidays. So I tried GtG for the time with the HG150 while I was away.

The RB160 feels pretty easy to close now with my left hand with a deep set. Next step is to close it with a MMS then of course CCS.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

Been away from the gym for the past few weeks for Christmas holidays. So I tried GtG for the time with the HG150 while I was away.

The RB160 feels pretty easy to close now with my left hand with a deep set. Next step is to close it with a MMS then of course CCS.

That looked easy man. Well done. Ive only ever had coc's and never seen or touched a Rb gripper before. How does the spread compare to coc gripper? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

That looked easy man. Well done. Ive only ever had coc's and never seen or touched a Rb gripper before. How does the spread compare to coc gripper? 

Thanks brother!

The spread is about the same but the handles are thicker. The RB also feels heavier too. I kinda like it!

Front Squat: 5x5 60kg

60mm LGC rolling handle: 

10kg / 20kg / 30kg / 40kg / 45kg (both hands)

35kg 5x5

Bottoms up kettlebell press

8kg x 8 / 12kg x 6 / 16kg x 5x5

Vulcan 1 level 6: 4x4 left hand

HG150: 5x5 right hand

FatGripz close grip cable pulldown:

3x8 60kg

17 hours ago, bruce1337 said:

Thanks brother!

The spread is about the same but the handles are thicker. The RB also feels heavier too. I kinda like it!

Thanks, I might have to buy some RB grippers once im a bit futher forward in my gripper training(only just started back into them). Ive just purchased 2 new grippers, IM left turn #1 and #2. As i stuggle more with the left hand. 

Front squat:

20kg x 10 / 40kg x 8 / 60kg x 6 / 80kg x 3 / 90kg x 2 / 100kg x 2 / 110kg x 1 / 80kg 3x5

CoC #1: TNS 6 reps

FatGripz RDL: 40kg 3x8

Bottoms up kettlebell press: 16kg 3x5