Volume/frequency for griptraining

Lennix

19 hours ago, Lennix said:

Studies have shown that working out the same  musclegroup twice a week is more beneficiary compared to once a week. So regarding your forearms it would be better with twice a week atleast. Then there's so many parts of gripstrength open hand and closed hand and pinch. I really dont think you will reach your genetic maximum with once a week. 

I'm already closing in on 90lbs on the IM hub and the COC #3.5 with training once a week. And I've not reached a year of training.

So I'm sure that my optimal is once a week 😉

6 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

That certainly has more to do with your genetics for grip rather than a good/optimal training routine. 

Perhaps results good have been even better, maybe not. But good gains doesn't mean that you got as much as you possibly could.

That comes to everyone is different” and there is no “optimal” for everyone formula.

1 minute ago, Hopefully said:

That certainly has more to do with your genetics for grip rather than a good/optimal training routine. 

When I trained 3x and then 2x a week I was sore all the time, got tendinitis and ended up losing strength. And that was when I didn't have a job and was only training grip. Now with my job and going to the gym, there is no chance I could do more than one day a week.

Just now, Hannes said:

When I trained 3x and then 2x a week I was sore all the time, got tendinitis and ended up losing strength. And that was when I didn't have a job and was only training grip. Now with my job and going to the gym, there is no chance I could do more than one day a week.

Yea buddy!

1 minute ago, Hannes said:

So because this worked for you and gave you good results you would recommend to most people 1 workout a week is the best way to progress in grip? 

10 minutes ago, Lennix said:

So because this worked for you and gave you good results you would recommend to most people 1 workout a week is the best way to progress in grip? 

I think he’s saying this is what works for him. There is no optimal plan cookie cut for all. It’s trial and error. When you find what works, then stick with it.

49 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I think he’s saying this is what works for him. There is no optimal plan cookie cut for all. It’s trial and error. When you find what works, then stick with it.

This is exactly what I'm saying.

Optimal isn't a "one size fits all" when it comes to any kind of training

• Like 1

There is optimal training, you just can't reach it, only get closer over time. My optimal training is different than yours, and even me of 3 months ago would need different training than me of today, it's an ever moving goal which is why you can't just do the same exact. thing on repeat and keep progressing. 

• Like 1

Best thing I've ever did was to not follow any plan at all and just follow my body and mind.

I've tried to follow a lot of different plans and it barely gave me anything, other than agony and frustration. Now when I only do as I feel like doing I make better gains than ever. Training also becomes a hell of a lot more fun.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

There is optimal training, you just can't reach it, only get closer over time. My optimal training is different than yours, and even me of 3 months ago would need different training than me of today, it's an ever moving goal which is why you can't just do the same exact. thing on repeat and keep progressing. 

What’s optimal for one is not optimal for another. Meaning it’s not gonna be the same for all.  It may look good on paper from some “studies show” , but what works for me may not work for you, and vice versa. 

I train grip 3-4x per week, but I try to train different things each day. I used to rock climb 3x per week too, so I've been training grip at this frequency for around six years now. More often than 3-4x times per week my elbow tendonitis starts to flare up. I know from rock climbing that if I worked on the same problem over and over ago day after day it would mess me up, so I would try and vary the routes and types of holds. Same applies to grip stuff: right now I'm training axle Monday, pinch Wednesday, grippers Friday, and rolling handle Saturday. Keeps things interesting and so far hasn't been wearing me out too badly. I think the important thing (for me at least) is that while I'm training grip 4x per week, I'm really only doing each type of grip once a week, which gives me enough time to recover.

As far as volume, I've been aiming for lighter weight and more reps lately. A while back I saw @ClayEdgin posting on instagram about the volume training he was doing leading up to Worlds in Russia and it seemed like he was focusing more on his 8-10RM than his 1RM. Worked out pretty well for him. I've been trying to take a page out of his book and do 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps on whatever it is that I'm working on that day. Clay's own Rolling Thunder program is pretty similar but with even more sets. I haven't personally done his program, but I hear good things about it.

Update: I ran Clay's RT program for rolling handle and pinch block and definitely saw improvements. Volume works. 👍

Edited by devinhoo
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

I train grip 3-4x per week, but I try to train different things each day. I used to rock climb 3x per week too, so I've been training grip at this frequency for around six years now. More often than 3-4x times per week my elbow tendonitis starts to flare up. I know from rock climbing that if I worked on the same problem over and over ago day after day it would mess me up, so I would try and vary the routes and types of holds. Same applies to grip stuff: right now I'm training axle Monday, pinch Wednesday, grippers Friday, and rolling handle Saturday. Keeps things interesting and so far hasn't been wearing me out too badly. I think the important thing (for me at least) is that while I'm training grip 4x per week, I'm really only doing each type of grip once a week, which gives me enough time to recover.

As far as volume, I've been aiming for lighter weight and more reps lately. A while back I saw @ClayEdgin posting on instagram about the volume training he was doing leading up to Worlds in Russia and it seemed like he was focusing more on his 8-10RM than his 1RM. Worked out pretty well for him. I've been trying to take a page out of his book and do 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps on whatever it is that I'm working on that day. Clay's own Rolling Thunder program is pretty similar but with even more sets. I haven't personally done his program, but I hear good things about it.

I agree with this approach. Good split of the days and what you are doing. I like it! This is similar to my mon wed fri split. I never thought to separate thick bar regular from rolling handle. That’s a good idea I may try. It’s always tough to include both in one thick bar day with how fast it burns out.

Edited by Guest

14 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

I train grip 3-4x per week, but I try to train different things each day... ...I think the important thing (for me at least) is that while I'm training grip 4x per week, I'm really only doing each type of grip once a week, which gives me enough time to recover.

As far as volume, I've been aiming for lighter weight and more reps lately. A while back I saw @ClayEdgin posting on instagram about the volume training he was doing leading up to Worlds in Russia and it seemed like he was focusing more on his 8-10RM than his 1RM. Worked out pretty well for him. I've been trying to take a page out of his book and do 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps on whatever it is that I'm working on that day...

Concur. Changing it up, and a lot, really does help and promote higher training frequency. If you really think about it there is no excuse not too as there are so many available variants to choose from in regards to your hands and wrists e.g. crush; pinch; support; bend; twist; wrist flexed (cupped) or unflexed; supination; pronation; deviation; flexion; extension; iso-pause; speed; slow tempo; dumbbells; barbells; short bars; cables; machines; bands; etc.; etc.; etc. the list goes on and on.

When it comes to grip/wrist (hands and forearms) training I usually classify my rep ranges as follows:

>10 reps = strength work (extremely low reps)

10-20 = low reps

20-50 = moderate reps

50+ = volume work (extremely high reps)

• Like 1

My grip gets worked everyday at work. But still do some from of grip training 3 days a week,

On top of my sandbag, weighted calisthenics and kettlebells, I do some form of sledgehammer work, a weighted carry of some sort, towel rows, COC crushers, finger tip push ups (learning them), push up on olympic rings (not supported by straps, I have to balance them), and hangs/weighted hangs.. Just stared to incorporate one finger kettlebell lifts

I do carries, hand grippers and sledgehammer training 3 days a week and everything else twice a week. I try to do yoga videos online, and anything I can do on my fingertips I do.... That being said, my hands and wrists get achy sometimes, so cut back once in awhile. Just lifting sandbags works my grip pretty hard...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I agree with this approach. Good split of the days and what you are doing. I like it! This is similar to my mon wed fri split. I never thought to separate thick bar regular from rolling handle. That’s a good idea I may try. It’s always tough to include both in one thick bar day with how fast it burns out.

This is one of the reasons I made this thread! 

3 hours ago, Lennix said:

This is one of the reasons I made this thread! 

That’s the great thing about them! We talk about things we like and gather what may work for our formula!

Like Devin, I also train grip several times a week, but different dimensions each time. I only return to the same exercises approximately every 7 days. My typical breakouts are as follows:

Grip Workout 1: pinch and hub work
Grip Workout 2: thick bar, vertical lifts, and fingertip work (e.g. tips tester)
Grip Workout 3: grippers
Grip Workout 4: wrist work

Sometimes I do grip workouts on back-to-back days, but typically I’ll train other body parts in between grip workouts or I’ll take a day off if life gets in the way.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I train twice a week. 

Day 1: grippers, hub, rolling handle

Day 2: dinnie stones training, light grippers, finnish ball, pinch block (I switch the last two for bullring and little big horn every week)

I can recover from that, and make some Prs. Been training like that for 18 months. So far so good

What do people do for hand recovery?

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

What do people do for hand recovery?

Riccardo Magni suggested to me this device - Rolflex - and it has been incredible how it digs in and release tightness. In past I would use contrast baths and foam roller & tennis ball for lower arm/ hands but now just Rolflex and light finger protocol everyday.

45C1FD05-875B-4B44-A65C-280B89FF0DDE.thumb.jpeg.39120c300f1479f84f8aa023f9852d5a.jpeg

Edited by Kluv#0
Spelling

5 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Riccardi Magni suggested to me this device - Rolflex - and it has been incredible how it digs in and release tightness. In past I would use contrast baths and foam roller & tennis ball for lower arm/ hands but now just Rolflex and light finger protocol everyday.

45C1FD05-875B-4B44-A65C-280B89FF0DDE.thumb.jpeg.39120c300f1479f84f8aa023f9852d5a.jpeg

I have one, they are amazing.  I almost take it for granted, but I use it for 1 minute or so on each arm every day. I should do some longer sessions sometime. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I have one, they are amazing.  I almost take it for granted, but I use it for 1 minute or so on each arm every day. I should do some longer sessions sometime. 

Yes, usually I will use it for 20 -25 minutes as sometimes it takes awhile to release my thumb pad. Make sure you dig in on extensors origin, too👍

8 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

Riccardo Magni suggested to me this device - Rolflex - and it has been incredible how it digs in and release tightness. In past I would use contrast baths and foam roller & tennis ball for lower arm/ hands but now just Rolflex and light finger protocol everyday.

Gonna have to check this out. My elbow is shot and am looking for anything to help out. Thanks

• Like 1

^When I had tennis elbow a few years back, this really really helped.  Once you find that spot, it hurts and feels amazing at the same time.

• Like 1