SW Region comp 2020 heads up

acorn

1 hour ago, EricMilfeld said:

Well, I just received some discouraging news. Last week the surgeon said I’d need to abstain from training for a week after yesterday’s cataract surgery. Today the other doctor suggested a month. I’ll get a definite answer next Tuesday. If I can resume heavy lifting in a week I’ll be competing at 105+, otherwise I’d probably come in under 105 and then reevaluate whether I wish to compete. 

Oh no! Good luck on the recovery!

• Like 2

Entries in:

Name                               Class           Paid/Not Paid       

1) Stephen Anderson    M105+         Not Paid

2) Eric Milfeld                 M105            Paid

3) Adam T Glass            M105            Not Paid

4) Steve Callahan           M83              Not Paid

Guys let me know if I am guessing incorrectly on the class (83kg, 105kg or 105+)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, acorn said:

Oh no! Good luck on the recovery!

Thank you, Aaron!  I guess another option is to just train grip really light for a month with tons of volume.  The idea is to not spike my blood pressure and dislodge the artificial lense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Thank you, Aaron!  I guess another option is to just train grip really light for a month with tons of volume.  The idea is to not spike my blood pressure and dislodge the artificial lense.

Yeah don't dislodge that!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, it is with great sadness that I am going to cancel this contest. I am just not seeing enough interest and entries to make this work with as much time, energy and money already expended, and will yet need to be. I am seeing a fraction of entries and verbals I would have typically would be seeing with close to a month out from a contest. It makes no sense to spend another 30hrs making the full complement of 12 trophies for maybe 5 or 6 guys to show up on day of comp. I suspect all the concerns over Corona virus outbreak have people concerned about travel, etc and don't blame them for concerns. I will refund all entry fees already submitted and will be talking with the gym owner tonight. 

Sorry,

Aaron

Edited by acorn
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

17 hours ago, acorn said:

Guys, it is with great sadness that I am going to cancel this contest. I am just not seeing enough interest and entries to make this work with as much time, energy and money already expended, and will yet need to be. I am seeing a fraction of entries and verbals I would have typically would be seeing with close to a month out from a contest. It makes no sense to spend another 30hrs making the full complement of 12 trophies for maybe 5 or 6 guys to show up on day of comp. I suspect all the concerns over Corona virus outbreak have people concerned about travel, etc and don't blame them for concerns. I will refund all entry fees already submitted and will be talking with the gym owner tonight. 

Sorry,

Aaron

ok I'm coming to the next one. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, acorn said:

Guys, it is with great sadness that I am going to cancel this contest.

Bummer. Last year was so fun.

• Like 1

Totally understandable, Aaron. But a shame, nonetheless. 

• Like 1

I found out today that my business trip is officially canceled, and my first thought was now I can attend this event after all!  /facepalm/  

Aaron, thanks for all your work in the grip community this year and every year; your rad event got me into the sport in 2018.  I look forward to gripping with everyone again when this virus crap is over.  🙂 

Edited by spaceparakeet
typo

Aw, crap. Sorry I didn't sign up sooner, assuming that might have made a difference. I'm not too good at checking this board. I do appreciate that you put so much into it and this comp has been one of my favorite perks of living in AZ. If I can help at all with the organization of it next year and ease up the workload please feel free to reach out to me, would love to help if I can. 

I was trying to get some of my strongman friends in AZ to sign up but looks like that didn't translate into entries. Was kind of thinking to put more into training for this since it doesn't look good for Armlifting World's in Russia. I understand though, I was planning a comp last year and had it fall apart on me when I couldn't secure the venue I wanted or get enough people to sign up. 

Definitely sign up for next year.  I think we have reached our pinnacle of trophy awesomeness with this batch.  Not sure subsequent years will measure up. 😉

• Like 2