Overall North American Grip Sport Rankings - 2010 to 2018

Eric Roussin

For fun, and because some have shown interest, I decided to try to assemble Overall North American Grip Sport Rankings by year, going back to 2010. I plan to go even further back. The rankings are the result of my relatively quick analysis of major contest results from this decade. I don't claim these to be perfect, but I think they give a pretty good idea of who most of the top competitors were in each year.

1. Jedd Johnson
2. Tanner Merkle
3. Carl Myerscough
4. Gil Goodman
5. Lucas Raymond
6. Aaron Corcorran
7. Kody Burns
8. Eric Roussin
9. Andrew Durniat
10. Justin Major

1. Tanner Merkle
2. Jedd Johnson
3. Aaron Corcorran
4. Gil Goodman
5. John Machnik
6. Martins Licis
7. Carl Myerscough
8. Kody Burns
9. Eric Roussin
10. Lucas Raymond

1. Gil Goodman
2. Kody Burns
3. Jedd Johnson
4. Aaron Corcorran
5. Andrew Durniat
6. Martins Licis
7. Jake Sahlaney
8. Eric Roussin
9. John Machnik
10. Lucas Raymond

1. Jedd Johnson
2. Andrew Durniat
3. Kody Burns
4. Aaron Corcorran
5. Gil Goodman
6. Jon Eklund
7. Eric Roussin
8. Martins Licis
9. John Machnik
10. Cesare Ricchezza

1. Michael Burke
2. Andrew Durniat
3. Jedd Johnson
4. David Labbe
5. Kody Burns
6. Dave Thornton
7. Lucas Raymond
8. Jake Sahlaney
9. John Eklund
10. Eric Roussin

1. Michael Burke
2. Andrew Durniat
3. Chad Woodall
4. Kody Burns
5. Jedd Johnson
6. Wade Gillingham
7. Tex Henderson
8. Adam Glass
9. Dave Thornton
10. Aaron Corcorran

1. Rich Williams
2. Michael Burke
3. Tex Henderson
4. Andrew Durniat
5. Adam Glass
6. Dave Thornton
7. Aaron Corcorran
8. Jedd Johnson
9. Odd Haugen
10. Brad Ardrey

1. Rich Williams
2. Andrew Durniat
3. Tex Henderson
4. Ross Love
5. Chad Woodall
6. Dave Thornton
7. Adam Glass
8. Jedd Johnson
9. Odd Haugen
10. Paul Knight

1. Rich Williams
2. Tex Henderson
3. Aaron Corcorran
4. Jedd Johnson
5. Andrew Durniat
6. Chad Woodall
7. Wade Gillingham
8. Odd Haugen
9. Tim Struse
10. Ryan Johnson

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

For fun, and because some have shown interest, I decided to try to assemble Overall North American Grip Sport Rankings by year, going back to 2010. I plan to go even further back. The rankings are the result of my relatively quick analysis of major contest results from this decade. I don't claim these to be perfect, but I think they give a pretty good idea of who most of the top competitors were in each year.

1. Jedd Johnson
2. Tanner Merkle
3. Carl Myerscough
4. Gil Goodman
5. Lucas Raymond
6. Aaron Corcorran
7. Kody Burns
8. Eric Roussin
9. Andrew Durniat
10. Justin Major

1. Tanner Merkle
2. Jedd Johnson
3. Aaron Corcorran
4. Gil Goodman
5. John Machnik
6. Martins Licis
7. Carl Myerscough
8. Kody Burns
9. Eric Roussin
10. Lucas Raymond

1. Gil Goodman
2. Kody Burns
3. Jedd Johnson
4. Aaron Corcorran
5. Andrew Durniat
6. Martins Licis
7. Jake Sahlaney
8. Eric Roussin
9. John Machnik
10. Lucas Raymond

1. Jedd Johnson
2. Andrew Durniat
3. Kody Burns
4. Aaron Corcorran
5. Gil Goodman
6. Jon Eklund
7. Eric Roussin
8. Martins Licis
9. John Machnik
10. Cesare Ricchezza

1. Michael Burke
2. Andrew Durniat
3. Jedd Johnson
4. David Labbe
5. Kody Burns
6. Dave Thornton
7. Lucas Raymond
8. Jake Sahlaney
9. John Eklund
10. Eric Roussin

1. Michael Burke
2. Andrew Durniat
3. Chad Woodall
4. Kody Burns
5. Jedd Johnson
6. Wade Gillingham
7. Tex Henderson
8. Adam Glass
9. Dave Thornton
10. Aaron Corcorran

1. Rich Williams
2. Michael Burke
3. Tex Henderson
4. Andrew Durniat
5. Adam Glass
6. Dave Thornton
7. Aaron Corcorran
8. Jedd Johnson
9. Odd Haugen
10. Brad Ardrey

1. Rich Williams
2. Andrew Durniat
3. Tex Henderson
4. Ross Love
5. Chad Woodall
6. Dave Thornton
7. Adam Glass
8. Jedd Johnson
9. Odd Haugen
10. Paul Knight

1. Rich Williams
2. Tex Henderson
3. Aaron Corcorran
4. Jedd Johnson
5. Andrew Durniat
6. Chad Woodall
7. Wade Gillingham
8. Odd Haugen
9. Tim Struse
10. Ryan Johnson

Thank you - names of strong grip people on there I haven't thought of in a while.  Like all sports the top dogs come and go - well except for guys like Jedd - Andrew and Aaron who have been on top for "decades".

• Like 1

I hope everyone notices the one name that is in the top ten(and mostly 3-5) of all of these lists every year. One should not ever doubt the consistency, time, effort and love that Jedd Johnson put into this sport. There have been many people who may be stronger at contests or on certain lifts for one year or another, but nobody!!! has been as consistent in this sport. The focus it takes to stay at this level, and compete, for 15+ years is unreal. This is a sport or niche that see many people come and go because it is not a flashy or popular sport, but the G.O.A.T. stays near the top. 🐐

• Like 2

My comments are only regarding "the big guys", 2010-2014. Why? Because I saw two of the three up close on more than one occasion. Haugen, Burke, and William being the big guys.

At first, I was wondering: why was Haugen on that list? In October of 2010, he competed in a rare (for him) contest inside a garage in San Bernardino, Ca where there were four total contestants. Then I remembered, Mighty Mitts began in 2010 at the Arnold, where I believe its run was 2010-2014. Haugen was in that contest.Okay, I get it. 

Rich Williams dominated Mighty Mitts 2010-2012, and I question if he was in anything resembling an organized grip contest as we know them today aside from Mighty Mitts. No question, he pulled some out-of-this world numbers at some quasi-contests at Sorinex that are still legendary. And I would not argue his Number 1 spot for the three years that Eric has him ranked. He was in a class by himself, held the Axle record, was a 3.5 Certified CoC, and had major media coverage (ESPN Magazine for one).

Then the "Fit Expo" contests began in January, 2011 in Los Angeles. Ironically, after exploding at various Fit Expos around the country (including a five year run in San Jose/Santa Clara), only the Los Angeles grip contest remains. But in that initial year, 2011, there was, for grip, very good prize money offered. Andrew and Chad flew out for the first one (maybe both, not sure about Chad, they both left with money). I think I would have included Mark Felix on the 2011 and 2012 lists, only because he won both contests, besting Andrew and Chad.

In 2012, Felix also defeated a newcomer by the name of Mike Burke.

Burke, by the time 2013 rolled around, was, in my opinion, the new kid in a class by himself. His day at the Los Angeles 2013 (January) Fit Expo was, as far as I was concerned, the most impressive grip performance ever. Two world records on the Axle, winning all events, and then after it was all over, Certifying on the 3.5. 

You can imagine how disappointed I was to be walking into a Convention Center in San Jose on June 30, 2013, bumping into Mike Burke who was in the empty center at the same time as I (athletes were admitted an hour before the center opened), introducing myself as a competitor, and discovering that Rich Williams had backed out of that days' competition, a last minute (day before) no-show. His plane ticket had been paid by IronMind (they got a refund). Burke was, for lack of a better word, pissed, and he said a number of things I will never share with anyone. But the best showdown in grip contest history was never to be.

At the 2014 Mighty Mitts, Burke, who possibly had never touched any of the unique implements, much less trained on them, if my memory is correct, won everything he touched. Yes, he, like Rich, deserved the Number 1 ranking. 

Why did I just focus on those three? Because none of them was ever in a contest that was considered Gripsport, and except for the Mighty Mitts at the Arnold, very few members of this forum were present at any of those contests. Lastly, I was pretty wired into the goings-on at some of those contests, and wanted to put in my two cents. 

Also, I was happy to see Martins get recognized on these lists as well. He is, to my knowledge, the only WSM who has ever competed in a "grip" contest. Maybe that's why he is World's Strongest Man!

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 2

I should have probably described these lists as “top grip athletes” or “top hand strength athletes” as I considered all grip/hand strength contests.

I too am disappointed that we never got to see Mike and Rich go head to head.

Regarding Mark Felix, the only reason he does not appear on the lists is that he doesn’t live in North America.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Regarding Mark Felix, the only reason he does not appear on the lists is that he doesn’t live in North America.

Oh Man! I'm sorry! I knew that was why "Alexey" was not on, but forgot about that for Mark. 

I don’t understand how or why people separate grip sport and arm lifting competitions as if they aren’t the same things (grip contests). It’s like WWF vs WCW or Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair both being “world champion” but makes like the other doesn’t exist or they “never heard of each other”. Makes me laugh so hard . It’s very weird to me as a pretty new guy to this world. They are IMO the same exact thing, at the end of the day and some try to downplay one over the other as if one is better or worse. It’s the same damn thing guys. It’s like a coke and a Pepsi. Different name, same kind of product. I don’t know how it got split off like it’s 2 separate sports or what anyone gains or loses by it being split   (no matter how you split hairs with it it is the same thing) but it is not helping either grow much. 

Eric, thanks for all you do with these comps and stats, my man! Much respect to you!

Joe 

Edited by Guest

I don't think many on here have followed "Grip" outside of Grip Sport itself (by name).  Odd - Burke - Rich and many others have done main stage events or Armlifting comps.  I have zero issues including these guys. I do think the lists should be based on Competition results of some kind - that's why I brought up Phil Phister - I had no knowledge of him competing.   Gym lifts regardless of witnesses - video etc should not count (and I don't think Eric has any of those on his lists) 

15 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

If I am remembering correctly, Clay Edgin has a story of beating Brian Shaw in a grip competition prior to his WSM greatness.

It's on the Board. I believe it was a Strongman and Grip contest that Clay held in 2005 or 2006 when he first moved to New Mexico. Brian won the Strongman contest, Clay second. Clay won the Grip contest, Shaw second. It may have been "the first contest" for both sports for Brian. 

19 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I don’t understand how or why people separate grip sport and arm lifting competitions as if they aren’t the same things (grip contests). It’s like WWF vs WCW or Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair both being “world champion” but makes like the other doesn’t exist or they “never heard of each other”. Makes me laugh so hard . It’s very weird to me as a pretty new guy to this world. They are IMO the same exact thing, at the end of the day and some try to downplay one over the other as if one is better or worse. It’s the same damn thing guys. It’s like a coke and a Pepsi. Different name, same kind of product. I don’t know how it got split off like it’s 2 separate sports ( no matter how you split hairs with it it is the same thing) but it is not helping either grow much. 

Eric, thanks for all you do with these comps and stats, my man! Much respect to you!

Joe 

Joe It's been a sort of "turf war" between the different organizations over the years - not unlike Power Lifting with it's different organizations.  Neither is "better" but they are different in the events normally contested and some of the rule sets (attempts etc have been brought more in line).  I held both Grip Sport and Arm Lifting at my Last Gripmas but they had to be held separately - maybe someday they won't but I don't expect any type merger in the near future.  The real confusion comes with "Records" not always being counted by each other.  Having a World Record in one that doesn't count in the other results in confusion - but no more than in PL I suppose.  I'm still trying to figure out how or if I would separate out the Professional Strongmen in the overall "lists".  Most sports that have "professional" athletes don't compete against amateurs.  Oh well.

25 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I don’t understand how or why people separate grip sport and arm lifting competitions as if they aren’t the same things (grip contests). It’s like WWF vs WCW or Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair both being “world champion” but makes like the other doesn’t exist or they “never heard of each other”. Makes me laugh so hard . It’s very weird to me as a pretty new guy to this world. They are IMO the same exact thing, at the end of the day and some try to downplay one over the other as if one is better or worse. It’s the same damn thing guys. It’s like a coke and a Pepsi. Different name, same kind of product. I don’t know how it got split off like it’s 2 separate sports or what anyone gains or loses by it being split   (no matter how you split hairs with it it is the same thing) but it is not helping either grow much. 

Joe 

Both are great organizations and I enjoy both. Gripsport tests more aspects of ones grip- ex. Pure crush strength -Fully closed grippers vs. SB, wrist strength, wide variety of lifts that one simply cannot maul  and overpower. IMO, Wrist wrench is much better indicator of strength than RT. I do like Armlifting has hub and LBH but wish they featured both on regular basis.

32 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Joe It's been a sort of "turf war" between the different organizations over the years - not unlike Power Lifting with it's different organizations.  Neither is "better" but they are different in the events normally contested and some of the rule sets (attempts etc have been brought more in line).  I held both Grip Sport and Arm Lifting at my Last Gripmas but they had to be held separately - maybe someday they won't but I don't expect any type merger in the near future.  The real confusion comes with "Records" not always being counted by each other.  Having a World Record in one that doesn't count in the other results in confusion - but no more than in PL I suppose.  I'm still trying to figure out how or if I would separate out the Professional Strongmen in the overall "lists".  Most sports that have "professional" athletes don't compete against amateurs.  Oh well.

That’s exactly what I’m saying! WCW vs WWF.... where one champ doesn’t recognize the other but has the same lifts . It is ridiculous in my opinion. Why 2 grip organizations exist is weird to me, as well as different powerlifting organizations (unless separated by geared and non geared and drugged and non drugged) as I think all strength sports should be separated by. But to contest the same things which both can and do, but call it a different sport is odd and even more so to one that knows nothing about the sport of grip. I’ve actually had them tell me “why is it separated if they do pretty much the same things”. I cannot say I disagree. As far as rules being different? It’s still all grip and why the separate “sport”?? That’s all I’m gonna say so as to not have this thread trail off to another subject, but a previous comment piqued this response on the separation of the two regarding the list Eric made.

Joe

Edited by Guest

Didn’t Eddie Hall have the Gold Bar record? I’m assuming that would’ve been in one of David’s comps. I thought Loz competed at least a couple of times too. 

7 hours ago, Shoggoth said:

Didn’t Eddie Hall have the Gold Bar record? I’m assuming that would’ve been in one of David’s comps. I thought Loz competed at least a couple of times too. 

Same oversight/error that I made yesterday. Eric’s list is North American gripsters, and Eddie/Loz/David are across the Pond.

2 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

Same oversight/error that I made yesterday. Eric’s list is North American gripsters, and Eddie/Loz/David are across the Pond.

I believe Jason was simply identifying another World's Strongest Man who has competed in a grip contest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Roussin said:

I believe Jason was simply identifying another World's Strongest Man who has competed in a grip contest.

Yep. In response to the WSM comment. 

2 hours ago, WestSlope said:

Event 2 – MoonTop Lift
1 Eddie Hall – 23.7k
2 Adam Bushaway – 20.01k
3 Tony Coward – 18.09k
4 Jason Horne – 16.1k
4 Lee Cummings – 16.1k
6 Millie Cummings – 7.75k (Female/age 14)

Moon Top...Eddie Hall's performance on something he likely had never previously touched...Wow.