Plate hammer curl

5kg x 5

10kg x 10

Band top half ROM hammer curl

25kg band x 30

IM extensor band(thumbless)

Blue x 10

Red x 100

*Hand and forearm Smoked. Awesome session.

• Like 3

Right hand only session.

Grippers for the 1st time since 21st of september to see where iam at.

All MMS set to about 30mm

Coc T x 3 

Coc 1 x 2

Coc 1.5 x 1

Coc 2 x 1 , 1

GHP 5 RGC 113lbs x 1 , 1 , 1 , 1*

*all very easy, used to be hard.

Coc 2.5 RGC 126lbs

3 attempts down to about 5mm ish.

50mm Axle Hammer curls*brutal, very wrist heavy 

10kg x 5 

20kg x 5

Im extensor bands thumbless

Blue x 10

Red x 100

*my hand crush strength has went up with no direct training no doubt about it. My GHP5 ive closed before but it was difficult and i was inconsistant with it but now im slamming it shut easy. I plan to start training grippers weekly now to get the coc 2.5 shut.

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Right hand only session.

Grippers for the 1st time since 21st of september to see where iam at.

All MMS set to about 30mm

Coc T x 3 

Coc 1 x 2

Coc 1.5 x 1

Coc 2 x 1 , 1

GHP 5 RGC 113lbs x 1 , 1 , 1 , 1*

*all very easy, used to be hard.

Coc 2.5 RGC 126lbs

3 attempts down to about 5mm ish.

50mm Axle Hammer curls*brutal, very wrist heavy 

10kg x 5 

20kg x 5

Im extensor bands thumbless

Blue x 10

Red x 100

*my hand crush strength has went up with no direct training no doubt about it. My GHP5 ive closed before but it was difficult and i was inconsistant with it but now im slamming it shut easy. I plan to start training grippers weekly now to get the coc 2.5 shut.

Strong crushing brother! GHP 5 looked easy to you. I thought I remember you having the Platinum Standard gripper from CPW that would be a great bridge to the 2.5. I'm guessing you would make quick work of it 💪 it's time to join me in GHP 6 land lol then it's road to the #7 cert! 

I'm not surprised that all of the pinch, thick bar & wrist work you do carries over to grippers. That was sort of the general methodology I was using to get my grippers up. I saw Chez swore by pinching and building stronger wrists to assist with big closes and I think he's right. Just getting a big thumb pad I find helps a great deal. 

Lastly something I see occasionaly on the gripboard that I disagree with is those who advocate for absolute specificity. Not to make this a big circle jerk lol but I agree with your outlook on grip. I recall you once saying you wouldn't be surprised if the RGT actually helped the RT numbers more then training the RT itself. I agree 100%. Jedd Johnson said in a yt vid he and his clients found that training on an inch style bell with a handle size of 2.6"(66mm) was actually more optimal to lifting the inch than training on the standard 60mm or 63.5mm inch style bells. You and I have had similar talks about pinch carry over. Sometimes training other weak links can be more optimal then doing the actual event itself. 

• Like 2

I just remembered plate curls are like this. They don't resemble anything seen in competition(excluding medleys) but the general consensus is they have big carry over to everything. I saw you and Adam Glass talk about this in the last 6 months or so.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Strong crushing brother! GHP 5 looked easy to you. I thought I remember you having the Platinum Standard gripper from CPW that would be a great bridge to the 2.5. I'm guessing you would make quick work of it 💪 it's time to join me in GHP 6 land lol then it's road to the #7 cert! 

I'm not surprised that all of the pinch, thick bar & wrist work you do carries over to grippers. That was sort of the general methodology I was using to get my grippers up. I saw Chez swore by pinching and building stronger wrists to assist with big closes and I think he's right. Just getting a big thumb pad I find helps a great deal. 

Lastly something I see occasionaly on the gripboard that I disagree with is those who advocate for absolute specificity. Not to make this a big circle jerk lol but I agree with your outlook on grip. I recall you once saying you wouldn't be surprised if the RGT actually helped the RT numbers more then training the RT itself. I agree 100%. Jedd Johnson said in a yt vid he and his clients found that training on an inch style bell with a handle size of 2.6"(66mm) was actually more optimal to lifting the inch than training on the standard 60mm or 63.5mm inch style bells. You and I have had similar talks about pinch carry over. Sometimes training other weak links can be more optimal then doing the actual event itself. 

Thanks, the GHP 5 was easy. It never used to be. I do have a 119lbs rated standard platimum that i tried before the coc 2.5 and it feels hardrr than the coc 2.5 because the platinum is a crazy 82mm wide spread..i just struggle to set the thing. Its crazy wide.

Agreed on the carryover from pinch and thick bar exc. That will only get you so far though so i need to start training grippers weekly now. I plan to do 1 session a week, lower volume. That should do me well and progress nicely. This was my coc 2.5 attempt. Maybe 5mm off. My coc 2.5 is 126lbs so Thats a good started point to train from i think.

20220121_081619.jpg

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

I just remembered plate curls are like this. They don't resemble anything seen in competition(excluding medleys) but the general consensus is they have big carry over to everything. I saw you and Adam Glass talk about this in the last 6 months or so.

Yeah they carryover to everything i find. Such a great move.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Thanks, the GHP 5 was easy. It never used to be. I do have a 119lbs rated standard platimum that i tried before the coc 2.5 and it feels hardrr than the coc 2.5 because the platinum is a crazy 82mm wide spread..i just struggle to set the thing. Its crazy wide.

Agreed on the carryover from pinch and thick bar exc. That will only get you so far though so i need to start training grippers weekly now. I plan to do 1 session a week, lower volume. That should do me well and progress nicely. This was my coc 2.5 attempt. Maybe 5mm off. My coc 2.5 is 126lbs so Thats a good started point to train from i think.

20220121_081619.jpg

Wow I didn't realize the Standard grippers were that wide lol. I find GHP very wide as it is. 

You'll get that 2.5 closed in no time if you add grippers in the mix every week. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Wow I didn't realize the Standard grippers were that wide lol. I find GHP very wide as it is. 

You'll get that 2.5 closed in no time if you add grippers in the mix every week. 

They are not all that wide its just the Platinum in particular. I asked matt cannon and he told me the platinums all came out extra wide for some reason. Its crazy wide even wider tha both my coc 3s. 

Yeah itll come once i start training them. Thanks for the encouragement.

• Thanks 1

Weird about the Platinums, but as a grip nerd I appreciate those oddities of our hobby lol. I ordered an Iron Fe one so I'm excited to give it my best shot once it arrives. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Weird about the Platinums, but as a grip nerd I appreciate those oddities of our hobby lol. I ordered an Iron Fe one so I'm excited to give it my best shot once it arrives. 

Yeah its strange. All the range run on the wide side but the platinums in particular. Matt said they will try and get the next batch inline with the other strengths. 

I have a standard iron rated 137lbs. Its a lovely gripper. The knurling on standards is harsh what i love. Im sure you will get it if not straight away in time.

• Thanks 1

60mm steel block pinch

15kg x 3 L+R

20kg x 2 L+R

25kg x 1 L+R

27.5kg x 1 L+R

30kg x 1 L+R

32.5kg x 1 L+R

GRrip genie RGT

35kg x 2 L+R

40kg x 1 L+R

45kg x 1 L+R

47.5kg x 1 L+R

50kg x 1 L+R

52.5kg x 1 L+R *left hand P.R

54kg x 1 R *P.R (previously 52kg)

55kg x 0 but some air

IM rolling thunder

*P.R is 64KG R and 63kg  L

55kg x 1 L+R

60kg x 1 L+R

65kg x 0, 0, 0 but some great air especially Left. Great progress

• Like 4

*right arm sore but it does not stop me.

EZ strict Curl

10KG x 10

20kg x 5

30kg x 4

35kg x 3

40kg x 2

45kg x 1

49kg x 1

52.5kg x 1

55kg x 1 *Equal P.R. 

56.5 x 0 but close

Axle strict curl

50kg x 1

52.5kg x 1 * P.R 😍

55kg x 0

50kg x 2

35kg band x 20, 20, 20 L+R

IM Extensor bands thumbless

Red x 50, 50, 50, 50 L+R*

*crazy hand pump.

• Like 4

1 arm band rows

25kg band x 8 L+R

35kg x 8 L+R

45kg x 8, 10 L+R

Grippers

Left hand

Coc T x 3

LT 1 x 2

Coc 1.5 x 1

LT 2 RGC 105lbs x 1

LT 1 x 3 , 3 , 3 45mm set close

Right hand. mms unless stated

Coc T x 3 

Coc 1 x 2

Coc 1.5 x 1

Coc 2 RGC 102lbs x 1

GHP 5 RGC 113lbs x 1

Tried some wider sets with this 45mm steel card i have

GHP 5 x 1 45mm set close . Big P.R

GHP 5 x 1, 1, 1 ,1

Coc 2 - 10 sec hold with a 8mm wide 0.5kg plate between the handles

20220128_083140.jpg

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 4

*hands fried from grippers so just a lighter pump/active reocvery session

60mm steel block pinch

15kg x 3 L+R

20kg x 2 L+R

25kg x 1 L+R

27.5kg x 1 L+R

30kg x 1 L+R

6mm key pinch

22.5kg x 1 L+R

25kg x 1 R 0 L

Thick bar strict curls

10kg DB at 50mm x 6 L+R

15kg steel bar at 70mm x 5  L+R

19kg steel bar at 76mm x 8 R x 4 L

Sledgehammer finger walks the "easy" way

8lbs x 1 L+R

14lbs x 1 L+R

Sledgehammer finger walks the "hard" way. *very very difficult

8lbs to half way L+R

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 2

*hands pretty sore from 2 days ago so just training something i have not in ages to see where iam at. 

Axle Deadlifts(1st time since august)

*all conventional, i dont like sumo even though i can lift a bit more on axle deads.

50kg x 5

70kg x 3

80kg x 2

90kg x 1

100kg x 1

105kg x 1

110kg x 1

115kg x 1

120kg x 1

125kg x 1 *P.R. 

127.5kg x 0 *just missed lockout

120kg x 4 *just missed 5th.

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 4

*whole body sore AF buy especially forearms from Axle deads. 

Bw 81kg/178lbs.

Band rows doubles

15kg x 15

25kg x 15

35kg x 15

45kg x 15

Thumbless hammer curls*very difficult at wide 76mm.

10kg at 50mm x 6 L+R

15kg Steel bar at 70mm x 5, 5, 5 L x 5 R

19kg steel bar at 76mm x 3 R only

IM extensor bands Thumbless

Red x 10 L+R

Red+green x 15 L+R

Red x 35 L+R

Blue x 40 L+R

• Like 3

*sore AF so just a couple of pump sets

Bw 80.5kg/177lbs

Sledgehammer finger walks the "hard" verision. (Hammer curl position)

8lb to about 3/4 of handle L+R x 2

Just to see whers iam at i measured my arms before this so measured cold( i dont see the point in measuring pumped muscles) Left at 16 and 1/8". I dont train for size so im happy with that.

20220202_065118.jpg

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 2

*sore and not fresh by any means but i couldnt wait any longer to try my new GOG Elite 5. 

Right hand only

Grippers all MMs to about 25-30mm

Coc T x 3

Coc 1 x 2

Coc 1.5 x 1

Coc 2 RGC 102lbs x 1

Gog elite 5 RGC 117lbs x 1, 1, 1*

Peg legged gripper so uneven mount. This was the longer handle in fingers.

Gog elite 5 with shorter handle in fingers. 

2 attempts down to about 1-2mm.*

*Noticeably more difficult this way, Ill get this side when fresh no problem though.

Depending on the side GOG tested the RGC could be off by a couple of lbs depending on which way you hold it but i dont know?

Photos of the close on the longer leg side and how close i was on the shorter leg side.

Plate pinch

2x10 x 10

Top half rom band hammer curl

35kg band x 20, 20, 20+10 sec hold

20220203_071040.jpg

20220203_071103.jpg

• Like 3

*still sore so just a mixed bag lighter day.

Left only.

60mm Steel block pinch.

15kg x 3

20kg x 2

25kg x 1

27.5kg x 1

30kg x 1

Ironmind bb block 76mm

25kg x 1

27.5kg x 1, 1, 1

60mm steel block

32kg x 1 and a 3 sec hold

Plate pinch 70mm wide

2x15kg x 1, 1 

Plate pinch cleans 70mm wide

2x10kg x 6* stopped at 6 as i felt it cutting into my thumb webbing.

RGT

40kg x 3

45kg x 2

42.5kg x 7

RGT curls

15kg x 5

20kg x 3

Sledgehammer finger walks

12lbs x 1, 1

Top half Rom band hammer curls

35kg band x 20, 20+10 hold

• Like 3

Right hand only

Grippers all mms 

Coc T x 3

Coc 1 x 2

Coc 1.5 x 1

Coc 2 RGC 102lbs x 1 

GHP 5 RGC 113lbs x 1 

Coc 2.5 126lbs 

2 attempts down to roughly 4-5mm

*closer than last time, ive added photo

CPW standard platinum RGC 119lbs

2 attempts down to roughly 5mm*

*it has a crazy wide 82mm spread, very difficult to set. Im closer with my 2.5 by a smidge despite it being 7lbs heavier RGC. 

GHP 5 x 1

Coc 2 45mm card set x 1 

Coc 2 20mm block set x 1, 1

60mm steel pinch block

15kg x 5

25kg x 5, 5

RGT 

40kg x 5, 7

50mm thick bar curls

15kg x 5

20kg x 8, 5

Sledgehammer finger walks

12lbs x 1, 1

Im Extensor band thumbless

Red x 50, 50

20220207_081419.jpg

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 5

Nice work, getting closer! Closing a 2.5 is serious business imo. Sometimes I think many of us can loose sight of that due to the amount of freaks on this board haha. 

Eventually I want to give finger walks a go. They look great for general GPP work and conditioning the fingers for more volume and heavier loads. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Nice work, getting closer! Closing a 2.5 is serious business imo. Sometimes I think many of us can loose sight of that due to the amount of freaks on this board haha. 

Eventually I want to give finger walks a go. They look great for general GPP work and conditioning the fingers for more volume and heavier loads. 

Thanks man. Yes i was a little closer than last time so im pleased, every millimetre counts. Ill keep at it until its shut.

Ive only just recently got back into finger walks but love them. I normally just my 12lbs one at the end or add weight plates over the handle. My best is 16lbs full 32" handle. Try them they are awesome and surprisingly difficult especially once you get HALF WAY. Id start with the by the side variation to start with. I dont know what what weight sledges you have but maybe try a 8lb one to start.

Wooden hickory handles are harder than plastic or rubber coated but i prefer the wooden but like to use zinc oxide athletic tape to cover the handle as you get a but more traction and more out of it.

I read that Kody burns did that and if its good enough for him its good enough for me. In my eyes and probably many more he is the best Pincher ever and he has done over 20lbs sledgehammers for finger walks.

They are good to do as a finisher or done lighter for upping recovery and building work capacity. Get ready for a crazy thumb, pinkie pad and forearm pump.

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Thanks 1

Alot of great info here, thanks alot brother! They look brutal but in a good way lol. 

Kody is a grip legend in my eyes. Certainly lb for lb one of the GOATS of grip 🏅 He had massive lifts on the Euro!

I watched a video of Marco Buhl doing fingerwalks and pinch and it's inspirational. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Alot of great info here, thanks alot brother! They look brutal but in a good way lol. 

Kody is a grip legend in my eyes. Certainly lb for lb one of the GOATS of grip 🏅 He had massive lifts on the Euro!

I watched a video of Marco Buhl doing fingerwalks and pinch and it's inspirational. 

No worries glad i could help. You will love them im sure. They pump my hand like no other move. 

Kody was just a freak of grip but especialy pinch. Insane lifts. 

Marco is a beast, i follow him on IG and he really is strong all over.

• Like 1

Bw 80kg

Resistance Band rows doubled

25kg x 10

35kg x 10

45kg x 10

60kg x 10

Left only now

60mm steel block pinch

15kg x 3

20kg x 2

22.5kg x 1

25kg x 1

27.5kg x 1

30kg x 1

32.5kg x 1, 1

Plate pinch

2x10kg x 3

2x15kg x 2, 1

Band Assisted 2x20kg

4 lifts using a thin 15kg rated band using as little assist as i can.*

*i feel now is the time to start working on 2x20kg with my pinch strength level.

Assisted hold against the body

2x20kg x 5 secs

RGT

40kg x 3

45kg x 3

IM RT

55kg x 3

50mm Db curl

15kg x 5

20kg x 5 , 3

Sledgehammer finger walks(by side)

12lbs x 1, 1