Getting back into grip.

mcalpine1986

22 hours ago, Ricochet said:

Thanks for sharing the vids of your plate curls.😉

Very nice form and technique 

No probs man and thank you. Im pretty form meticulous on everything. I believe its important to avoid injuries. Ive been training for 20 years without any lifting injuries so it works for me. I didnt know how to embed a video. I do them pretty strict. I dont see the point is swinging plates up like you see people on instagram sometimes doing.

Ive just acquired over 100kgs of weight plates that were hidden away in my mothers shed for 15 years or so. Like gold at the min haha. So now i can progress on these and do way more moves as ive been training on limited equipment since march due to covid.

Are you on instagram? 

• Like 1

Bw 173lbs

Kbell swings

20kg x10, 10, 10 L+R

1 arm Db overhead press

12kg x6 L+R

16kg x3 L+R

22kg x2 L+R

26kg x 1 L+R

30kg x1 L 0 R

22kg x10 L+R

Fat gripz Db deadlifts

12kg x3 L+R

22kg x 2 L+R

30kg x1 L+R

36kg x1 L+R

42kg x1 L+R

46kg x1 L+R

52kg x1 L+R

56kg x6 R 0L*

*shrink wrapped to fit weight on bar.

Plate curls

5kg x6 L+R

10kg* x 3 L+R

14kg* x2 L+R

10kg* x6 L+R

*300mm wide plate.

Bent over rear delt raises

2x5kg dbs x50

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1

Pretty impressed with your plate curl strength mate. I have no idea what's wrong with my wrists but I struggle to get 3 clean reps with my good hand (left) and can barely get 1 or 2 with my right, both with a 10kg plate. Definitely a huge weakness for me I think? Unless it's because I've only tried them a handful of times and maybe I'm missing some technique or something? My wrist just seems to give out uncontrollably. How long have you been doing them and how many reps could you do when you started? Maybe 10kgx3 is normal to start with and I'm just being hard on myself 😅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, AvgJo said:

Pretty impressed with your plate curl strength mate. I have no idea what's wrong with my wrists but I struggle to get 3 clean reps with my good hand (left) and can barely get 1 or 2 with my right, both with a 10kg plate. Definitely a huge weakness for me I think? Unless it's because I've only tried them a handful of times and maybe I'm missing some technique or something? My wrist just seems to give out uncontrollably. How long have you been doing them and how many reps could you do when you started? Maybe 10kgx3 is normal to start with and I'm just being hard on myself 😅

Thank you. Ive only had access to plates to train them for a week since march due to covid but was using heavy tiles in the mean time. thanks. Ive been doing them since the start of the year.

At first a 10kg olympic plate could only do 3 reps and it felt like my wrists were going to snap the first time trying lol  i have tiny wrists under 7" as well. Now they feel solid.

Keep at them but drop down to 5kg and just keep hammering out reps. Add a 2.5 on top, pinch them together and when that feel east then move onto the 10kgs. Remember the diameter plays a huge part here.

My plate is 300mm/12" long so quite wide. The longer the plate the harder it is. They are a hard movement. 

Never let your wrist bend back. Form is key here. They are my fave exercise. They hit everything grip wise. Keep at it. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Thank you. Ive only had access to plates to train them for a week since march due to covid but was using heavy tiles in the mean time. thanks. Ive been doing them since the start of the year.

At first a 10kg olympic plate could only do 3 reps and it felt like my wrists were going to snap the first time trying lol  i have tiny wrists under 7" as well. Now they feel solid.

Keep at them but drop down to 5kg and just keep hammering out reps. Add a 2.5 on top, pinch them together and when that feel east then move onto the 10kgs. Remember the diameter plays a huge part here.

My plate is 300mm/12" long so quite wide. The longer the plate the harder it is. They are a hard movement. 

Never let your wrist bend back. Form is key here. They are my fave exercise. They hit everything grip wise. Keep at it. 

My 10kg plate is only ~250mm 😂 it's fairly thick though but I think that doesn't matter. I defo need to work on this, got a lot to gain if I increase it I think. I think wrist size doesn't matter then mate, because mines are just over 7.25". Keep it up!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AvgJo said:

My 10kg plate is only ~250mm 😂 it's fairly thick though but I think that doesn't matter. I defo need to work on this, got a lot to gain if I increase it I think. I think wrist size doesn't matter then mate, because mines are just over 7.25". Keep it up!

Thats what i started with i think. 250mm. It makes a difference when the plates are longer as tge weight in your hand is higher with the leverage but yeah for training to just get stronger it doesnt matter but it depends on your goals  i want to curl my 15kg olympic plate but its longer than average at 370mm. Its a killer but ill get it in time. My ultimate goal is a full size 20kg olympic. 

Yeah wrist size doesnt matter if they are strong. My wrists are only 6. 7/8" They have gained 1/8" since doing plate curls. The tendons in my wrist have thickened but its took nearly a year. 

They are my fave exercise. Its more my fingers than wrist i feel the pressure on.

• Like 2

Bw 178lbs

Had no chalk today.

Grippers

Coc S x3 L+R 35mm set

Coc T x2 L+R 35mm set

Coc LT1 2x1 L L 35mm set

Coc 1 2x1 R 35mm set

Coc LT 3x1 L 35mm set

Coc 2 1x1 R 35mm set

Coc LT 3x3 L 35mm set

Gog 250 RGC 116lbs x sets 2 down 0.5-1mm.

God 250 x1. 35mm set. Solid close 

• Like 1

Bw 176lbs

1 arm Db overhead press

12kg x5 L+R

16kg x3 L+R

22kg x2 L+R

26kg x1 L+R

30kg x1 L+R

26kg x5 L+R

24.5kg x5 L+R

Weighted sledgehammer walking

7lb sledge 2x3 up/down

+16kg x3 up/down

+24kg x 5 up/down

+36kg x3 up/down

• Like 1

Bw 175lbs

1 arm Db overhead press

12kg x3 L+R

16kg x2 L+R

22kg x1 L+R

26kg x1 L+R

30kg x1 L+R

Fat gripz DB deadlift

22kg x3 L+R

32kg x2 L+R

42kg x1 L+R

46kg x1 L+R

52kg 2x1 R 2x0 L

46kg x7 R x2 L

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AspiringCrusher said:

Keep up the good work! 

Thanks man. Really appreciate that. Welcome to the gripboard and thanks for the comment. Keep training like a mad mad recently. 

• Like 2

Bw 173lbs (biceps and forearms very sore)

1 arm Db overhead press

12kg x3 L+R

16kg x2 L+R

22kg x1 L+R

26kg x1 L+R

30kg x1 L+R

28.5kg x2 L+R

1 arm Strict Db curl(back against wall)

12kg x3 L+R

16kg x2 L+R

22kg x1 L+R

24.5kg x1 L+R

26kg x0 fail L+R

22kg x 4 R 3 L

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1

Strong dumbbell pressing! I feel that a one arm press is more difficult than both because you dont have that weight balance so you use more core stabilisation as you press.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bruce1337 said:

Strong dumbbell pressing! I feel that a one arm press is more difficult than both because you dont have that weight balance so you use more core stabilisation as you press.

Thanks man. Appreciate the comments. I feel the same, 1 arm hammers the obliques and core. I would do both arms but i have limited plates so cant load the weight enough with both. 

Overall my overhead is poor as ive neglected it. Im going to try and turn it into a strong point. Im going to try and train 1 arm overhead every session. Keep the reps low and see how i feel each day the regulate how heavy i go.

Strength should go up nicely although on my right i have a slight teres major/lat issue thats slightly affecting me. 

• Like 2

Upside down KB presses are probably the best excercise to strengthen your wrist and core stability for overhead. And you do alot of that already so it should be a matter of time before you press some big weights

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

Upside down KB presses are probably the best excercise to strengthen your wrist and core stability for overhead. And you do alot of that already so it should be a matter of time before you press some big weights

Agreed and yeah beem doing plenty. I find them great for keeping stable but also creating the best pressing postion with the lats as a "shelf" to press from. Doing them has gave me better technique with dumbbell pressing.

My goal is a half bodyweight press. I weigh between 78-79kg so a 40kg will be my goal. I dont care how long it takes ill do it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Agreed and yeah beem doing plenty. I find them great for keeping stable but also creating the best pressing postion with the lats as a "shelf" to press from. Doing them has gave me better technique with dumbbell pressing.

My goal is a half bodyweight press. I weigh between 78-79kg so a 40kg will be my goal. I dont care how long it takes ill do it. 

Sounds like a great goal. Good luck 💪

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

Sounds like a great goal. Good luck 💪

Thanks and same to you with your bodyweight barbell press. 💪

• Like 1

Bw 175lbs

1 arm Db overhead press

12kg x3 L+R

16kg x 2 L+R

22kg x1 L+R

26kg x1 L+R

30kg x1 L 0 R *with belt

30kg x 2 L+R *no belt

*a belt seems to hinder me strangely.

Plate wrist curls

5kg x6 L+R

10kg x 3 L+R

10kg x 4 L 3 R

10kg x5 L+R

*300mm wide plate. Very hard.

• Like 2

Bw 175lbs

1 arm overhead press

12kg x3 L+R

16kg x2 L+R

22kg x1 L+R

26kg x1 L+R

30kg x1 L+R

32kg x1 L+R      P.R. 

32kg x 1 L 

26kg x1 L

2 handed standing plate wrist curls

5kg x6 

10kg eacg hand x10 

10kg each hand x18 reps

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 2

Bw 175lbs

1 arm kbell swings

16kg x10 L+R

20kg x8 L+R

24kg x6 L+R

1 arm overhead press 

Speed triples

12kgs x3 L+R

16kg x3 L+R

22kg x3 L+R

26kg x3 L+R

24.5 x3, 3, 3 L 3 R

Im having real tightness in my teres major and minor so need to rest more with the high frequency pressing. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Bw 175lbs

1 arm kbell swings

16kg x10 L+R

20kg x8 L+R

24kg x6 L+R

1 arm overhead press 

Speed triples

12kgs x3 L+R

16kg x3 L+R

22kg x3 L+R

26kg x3 L+R

24.5 x3, 3, 3 L 3 R

Im having real tightness in my teres major and minor so need to rest more with the high frequency pressing. 

Bands, bands, bands.  High Rep Pump work.  Face Pulls, Pull Aparts, Shoulder Dislocates, Pushdowns, etc.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

Bands, bands, bands.  High Rep Pump work.  Face Pulls, Pull Aparts, Shoulder Dislocates, Pushdowns, etc.

Thanks, appreciate the advice. I do however do all that apart from pushdowns. I just dont record prehab work on here, i just put on my main moves. 

Its just because i did 1 arm pressing 5 times last week and im not used to it. I should have eased into it Going to dial it back then ease it back up.

Bw 175lbs

Kbell swings

16kg x10 L+R

20kg x8 L+R

24kg 2x6 L+R

Im blockbuster pinch (first time trying)

12kg x3 L+R

17kg x2 L+R

20kg x1 L+R

22kg x1 L+R

24kg x1 L+R

25kg x1 L 0R

26kg x 0 L+R

25kg x1 L 0 R

2 hand blockbuster pinch

55kg x0

55kg x1

54kg x 1