Lung Power!!!!

Snaplight

Does anyone have any suggestions on how one can accurately monitor measurable improvement in Lung Power?

Obviously there are a variety of training methods to actually train the lungs but how best to measure & record it??

Ideas please - links to equipment please or articles..

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by lung power but there are several ways to measure respiration efficiency and capacity.

A Spirometer measures the volume of air that is being inhaled and/or exhaled and a VO2 max test measures the  rate of oxygen consumption (efficiency) in relation to heart rate during exercise.

I think you're talking about VO2Max development, and there's a lot of ways to develop it, in my opinion interval work is the best approach. Check the book "Viking warrior conditioning" for answers, but beware, it's a very scientific book.

Hi Guys , I meant more a manner in which to measure or give immediate feedback on breathing exercises and improvement.  

iirc the Spirometer involves a sharp exhale to give a measured figure - I just wondered if there is anything else similar or training equipment to help train the lungs. 

Maybe something like this buhttps://www.google.com/search?q=spirometer&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=xx5TO04f7-E02M%3A%2CO7qvEhnVWUfVOM%2C%2Fm%2F02fvd7&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTHwIiyXFg_RnP_NUmjoGbAALQ7FA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiAk_7jjM7lAhXzTxUIHUEUBJYQ_B0wHHoECAoQAw#imgrc=6JKW3qBBFgrJBM:&vet=1

https://www.healthproductsforyou.com/p-hudson-rci-voldyne-volumetric-exerciser.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzuWQ5JHO5QIV1RZ9Ch3wAQbWEAQYAyABEgL1DfD_BwE 

The doctor gave me one of these when I had pneumonia several years ago.  Seems to work OK.  With a week or two practice I see a definite increase 

Power can mean a lot of things in this context, it might help if you can give a specific example of the goal you are working towards. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

Power can mean a lot of things in this context, it might help if you can give a specific example of the goal you are working towards. 

Fair point - Climber . 

I guess I mean its easy to measure progress in weights in the Big Three lifts ( or more )with PR's , Its easy to measure Running speed over distance with a watch , and for Grip there are again certain standard tests ( Grippers / Holds / bending ) that one can use to measure progress.

Hearts BPM can be measured at home with an inexpensive heart rate monitor.

As I think progress should be pursued in all possible directions and modality then I wondered how or if its possible to measure the ability of the Lungs with some specificity. 

I'm sure regular LSD runs , HIT training and Hypoxic Underwater swims will all aid in the Training of such thing but how could one best measure it ?

hth , apologies for the eclectic question but i've noticed this grip forum has alot of eclectci people with a broad range of experiences and open mindness to training 

I would recommend the book The Oxygen Advantage by Patrick McKeown. Has a lot of info on breathing and will also give you a better understanding to even find out what you're looking to improve. Again tho you must have a goal in mind because improving something just to see a number go up isn't really sustainable. Breath holding, lung performance, diaphragm strength, and oxygen utilization can all be separately improved but focusing on any one of them would require a deficit in the others. 

• Like 1