Grip machine VS Grippers ?

Qaroh

Hi folks

Is the mechanism of the Grip machine similar to the grippers?

In other words: can I be satisfied with the Grip machine and dispense with the Grippers?

Thanks

Depends on how you use it. It's useful to have one that has an attachment similar to Joe Kinney's "Secret Weapon". Like this one:

1380089178_Joessecretweapon.png.cffbf5b38db233321838ea927d4ecc35.png

Edited by Bob Callahan
Spelling
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Not if the goal is closing grippers. 

Yes if the goal is general hand strength. 

x2

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

For those that use the Grip machine, what type(s) of hand (s) placement do you or have you used?

Since I'm a rock climber, my training with one may be a little different than most of the members here. I use a standard four-finger grip, and do negatives where I raise the bar with both hands and lower with one hand to fingertips, alternating hands on each repetition. The end movement looks like this:

TDS Hand Grip-L.jpg

Edited by Bob Callahan
Added content
  • Like 2

I should add that that's not me in the attached photograph. It's from a product advertisement. The amount of weight I use depends on whether I'm working on strength or endurance.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

I think it could have some merit being used for variation purposes and/or for a hypertrophy phase. As the same muscles are being used it's basically impossible that it wouldn't have some carry over in the long run. 

To focus primarily on the machine for grippers would be a mistake though. 

May be nice for some as a way to warm up or for variety, but not as a mode for increasing gripper closes per ‘se.

There was a guy that used to workout with Nathan Holle ...can’t remember his name at the moment. He was strong on grippers ...and on the grip machine; he actually bent the top bar on IronMind’s Go-really Grip Machine with 380lb. +? 

if you can keep it strict, it would help you. If guys who do heavy deads can do well on grippers, why can’t a specialized machine do the same? Of course it will.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

I will let you guys know after Thanksgiving, as I am going to give a grip machine a fair shot for the first time.

Which type of machine?

14 hours ago, jchapman said:

Richard Sorin @1stCoC liked them so much he kept  one by his desk

Concur. I was about to post Richard Sorin, as well as John Brookfield, but you beat me to it! They spoke well of the grip machine and thought it provided a healthy balance to the other gripping, pinching, and bending implements no matter your specific pursuit.

Of the grip machine: "Another way to build a superb crushing grip is with the grip machine." - J. Brookfield

Edited by Ricochet
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, WestSlope said:

Have you noticed the work on this machine helping on the rock? I used to do heavy finger rolls with a barbell, but dropped them in favor of the hangboard.

Yes. But besides using them dynamically, I do yielding isometric holds at full extension and full close. I prefer doing this to hangboarding and finger rolls because it isolates fingers better with less strain on shoulders.

Edited by Bob Callahan
Word choice
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

I'm keen to see your result. It is counter intuitive to me that using the grip machine wouldn't help. There is a few videos of Juha Harju cranking on one when he was closing big grippers.

The one thing I think I need if I ever purchase one is 3/4" grip bars to match grippers at the fully closed position.

I actually had sorinex make me theirs with 3/4” handles. I had the crush booster also so it wasn’t necessary. I ended up using the main part for dynamic pinch and I think the bigger handles would have been better. I only used the crush booster for crush training and it was great 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2019 at 5:38 PM, jchapman said:

Richard Sorin @1stCoC liked them so much he kept  one by his desk

Richard said he used it for thumbs; he would pinch the handles together with the thumbs on top.

absolutely one of the best thumb exercises I have tried. 

I own a gripper machine(NY barbell) and use it once a week after a gripper or row workout. I do heavy triples single hand, top holds, and mixed grip high reps with just ring/pinky. 

Grippers are a "skill".  Of course they demand a lot of strength but the nutcracker shape makes them different than pretty much anything you're going to grab in real life.  Grippers are best "for grippers' - it's as easy to build working strength with a grip machine - fingers curls - etc.  I still believe after 15 years in grip sport that heavy finger curls done in a power rack where you can do nasty heavy negatives are one of the best overall finger strength moves one can do.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Do you perform the finger curls with palms towards you or palms away?

Palms away.  I set the rack pins where I just barely clear with the bar lowered onto fingertips.  As I add weight (or tire) I will bend my legs and "roll" the bar up my thighs (cheat reps) then as I tire more (or add more weight) I will roll the bar up by bending my legs more - then do extremely heavy negative returns.  Power Forearms and Finger Curls were all I did (besides climb) prior to finding the GripBoard.  This was prior to the whole "Fingerboard" thing started up for climbing.

On 11/4/2019 at 1:05 PM, Hubgeezer said:

I will let you guys know after Thanksgiving, as I am going to give a grip machine a fair shot for the first time.

It's after Thanksgiving. The results are inconclusive. I "think" there is improvement on grippers, can't say for certain. I am going to continue with the Go Really. I "test" myself every two weeks. I have not been consistent on my frequency. I think on the machine, you can use it more frequently than the grippers. Three times a week, seemed like I improved. One and one-half times, two, seemed like I was going backwards. It also seemed to work some tendons that the grippers don't. 

• Like 1