Current Overall North American Grip Rankings - Updated October 28 - UNOFFICIAL

Eric Roussin

Here's my updated take on the top 10 active North American grip sport competitors:

1 - Tanner Merkle
2 - Jedd Johnson
3 - Carl Myerscough
4 - Gil Goodman
5 - Luke Raymond
6 - Adam Glass
7 - Aaron Corcorran
8 - Eric Roussin
9 - Martins Licis
10 - Joel Dircks

Does this resonate with you? I really enjoy debating this stuff, and I know many of you do too.

• Like 2

To be fair, isn't Carl from the United Kingdom? 

8 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

To be fair, isn't Carl from the United Kingdom? 

He’s lived in California for many years now.

Just now, Eric Roussin said:

He’s lived in California for many years now.

My bad.

I love these.  Keep doing them please!

• Like 1

Surprised Steve Millard @WestSlope didn't make the list with his large # of high Armlifting and Gripsport placings in the last 2 years.  If he's not in the top 10, he's gotta be #11.  Other than that, and placing you 2 spots higher Eric, that is an exceptional list.  Keep these coming.  Thanks!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WestSlope said:

Here's a start to my list of the top ten contenders to the top ten list (in no particular order yet):

1. Justin Major
2. Jason Dingey
3. Steve Millard
4. Yves Gravelle
5. Mike Rinderle
6.Gingernaught? the Canadian monster Jay Smith. Brad Provick is another big Canadian dude that just needs to get his hands on stuff up here. Very strong too.
7.Joe Sullivan
8. Andrew Durniat (off the couch)

Edited by Shoggoth

3 hours ago, WestSlope said:

@Eric Roussin did you create a list of criteria for creating that list? Grippers, two-hand pinch, thick bar, and a wrist event as a checklist puts Aaron higher and Martins off of the list (assuming he is still not training the events).

I didn’t get too scientific with the criteria. I just did a relatively quick analysis of contest results. As events aren’t standardized, it’s not perfect.

Here’s my list after 10 for the top 10..... 

Im not even gonna put myself on because I suck......(who am I impersonating with that one, could be one of 2 people) 🤪

1)Jason Dingey

2) Justin Major

3)Yves Gravelle

4)Andrew Durniat

5)Jay Smith

6)Steve Millard

7)Mike Rinderle

8)Mike Thomas

9)Tim Butler

10) John Stepien

19 hours ago, WestSlope said:

I can't decide whether Thomas belongs in the top ten or this list. If the events he is one of the best in world were in the line up he is top ten for sure.

Butler can't get a break from the injuries. He appears to be one of the genetically strongest grippers around.

Stepien kills it when he lowers himself to play D&D. 😀

Well, I don't have to lower myself. Tim Butler been lately trying to get me into competing in grip. Grip training as been an once in a blue moon thing, more conditioning training than strength. Since, I'm losing weight, maybe (I said it's a maybe, don't hold your breath) entering a grip event at 120k... No more big boy class lol... If the wife lets me, feel like I got alot going on these days

Edited by JStepien
  • Like 3

Dingey is going to be on the top 10 list very soon one way or another.

agreed on Tim B having trouble due largely to injuries. He’s a genetic freak - anyone who’s met his father knows that Tim didn’t have much hope of being a weakling. I’d love to see him stay healthy for a few years and lift some even more impressive stuff.

I would also love to see Stepien spend six months focused primarily on grip training just to see who he could bump off the top 10. 

• Like 3

Hey guys, thanks for the mentions! Feels good to be thought of in the same class as some of the others in this post. I think I have a long way to go to be considered for THE top ten list, but I appreciate your confidence in me, Tom!

• Like 3

On 10/29/2019 at 4:24 AM, Joseph Sullivan said:

I would definitely put you a place or 2  bit more ahead on that list.... you are too modest, Eric.

Humble people never say I am this or that. They let others say it. Eric is :rock and super strong!

IMO, John Machnik and Clay Edgin are two that are very close to the top 10 list. Thanks for the shout out big Joe and Steve!

• Like 1

It would be nearly impossible to do but it would be interesting to have lists like this for the last ten or so years.  Be lots of different names and a few that would be the same.  The sport is growing and many different faces are now out front.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WestSlope said:

It has always bothered me that the history of the people and comps from about 15 years and older are not recorded here.

There were very few comps actually done from that time frame

• Like 1

10 hours ago, climber511 said:

It would be nearly impossible to do but it would be interesting to have lists like this for the last ten or so years.  Be lots of different names and a few that would be the same.  The sport is growing and many different faces are now out front.

I like this type of challenge...

• Like 1