Scheduling gripper work around strength work?

Leozinho

I want to work on my crush strength, so I've dipped my toe in the world of grippers.

I usually strength train 2-3 times a week, which is usually deadlifts, kettlebell clean and presses, pullups, and farmer carries. Somewhat grip intensive, esp the carries. 

I don't have time to do sets and sets of gripper work at the gym, so I've been doing them in the evening. If I've worked out that day, the number of reps I can do drops a bit. 

Do I adjust the program (which I'm still tuning) and just recognize that the I'm not my freshest but drive on?

or workout the next day when I'm a little fresher and more likely to hit the number of reps I expect? If I do that, there are fewer true rest days. 

Second part of question - just now finicky is max grip strength?  I notice that some days I can get a couple of reps on the COC 1 with my left hand (weak side) and some days I struggle and fail to close it. This is a bigger issue to me than some, since I have died issues in my neck that flare up and pinch the nerve, resulting in lose of strength that's first noticeable in the grip. Last time it happened I went from 15 reps on a filed Trainer to zero.  So every time I see a slight decrease in strength I'm worried it's a sign of a pinched nerve. Right now I'm inclined to think being down a rep or two is likely no big deal. 

Many thanks. 

Hey @Leozinho , I'm still finding way with grippers so I'm probably not qualified to give you much advice there but if you could outline your routine you're on it could help some of the more experienced guys give you some advice that will work with that program.

For your second question, grip strength comes and goes from day to day, so being a few reps down every now and then is nothing to worry about as long as you are making progress in the long term.  If you can average more reps this month than you did last month then you're probably on the right track.

When I first started training with hand grippers back in the 90s I was told to not focus on reps but rather take my time to set the gripper and chase a long crushing hold. I believe it was good advice for a beginner as it allowed me to recover well and train more often. It is very easy to over-train or injury yourself with hand grippers especially if you start chasing reps.

I almost always did better after a regular strength training workout with respect to grip.  So, I just did it at the end.

• Like 3

Don’t overthink it. Treat it as any other strength endeavor. Not too many sets are needed and do them only once per week. You can do them on leg day in between sets. Squats work great to prime your CNS and do the grippers in between your squat sets. Easy peasy. That is all that is needed.    

4 hours ago, Raymond said:

Hey @Leozinho , I'm still finding way with grippers so I'm probably not qualified to give you much advice there but if you could outline your routine you're on it could help some of the more experienced guys give you some advice that will work with that program.

For your second question, grip strength comes and goes from day to day, so being a few reps down every now and then is nothing to worry about as long as you are making progress in the long term.  If you can average more reps this month than you did last month then you're probably on the right track.

Here’s my routine -

warmup on department store gripper, then the filed T. 

then as many reps as possible on a COC 1.  That’s usually 3 or 4 on the right and 1 on the left. 

Rest a few minutes and repeat with the COC 1. Usually I fail with the left and get the same 3-4 with the right.  Repeat for a few more sets with the number of reps decreasing on the right. 

Then 5x5 with an Ivanko Super Gripper clone (has the round handles). I have a few reps in the tank, I don’t want to max out the reps here.  I adjust the spring so that the right is harder than the left  

then a few overcrushes/holds with the T just to work on the last few mm that the adjustable gripper doesn’t work. 

(I just got the adjustable gripper. If I’m being honest, I regret not spending more and getting a Baraban or Vulcan adjustable. It feels much different than a TSG.)

I’m open to suggestions. I’ve got a Silvis rated at 94 lightest and 121 at the heaviest. That can be a goal gripper. I just moved and it’s in a box in storage somewhere. I’ll look for it. 

Edited by Leozinho
  • Like 1