Slim The Hammer Man video archive

richcottrell

I do not think anyone posted this video here yet, and I just discovered this amazinng interview that was done with Slim "The Hammerman"

I have no affiliation with the person who did the video, but I will reach out to Slim daughter to see how this came about, but either way, if you interested in the man, then what better way to learn more about him then from THE HAMMER MAN himself!

the video guy [Larry Cohen] broke his interviews into 6 youtube videos....
GREAT stuff here everyone!
 @Hubgeezer

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

Hey - - why aren’t you at King Kong right now Rich?

Working an NHL game... what is your excuse? And did you know anything about these Slim interviews?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

Rich, I WAS at King Kong when I wrote that.

I disagree with Joseph on “old” and “long time ago”.

I’m talking about the documentary. I saw this at least 2-3 years ago. I want to ya this was produced around 6 years ago. 

Edited by Guest

11 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

These are old. Saw them a long time ago.

Joe, I did not realize to have the  DeLorean from Back to the Future but now I know this, I will not be able take sports bets from you....

in the opening part of this video the interviewer says the date he is conducting the interview...

oct 15, 2018

listen to that opening again and feel free to edit your comment.... unless you really do have “The Hot Tub Time Machine” 

;)

:)

anyway, these interview videos were new for me, and I never saw a mention on the Gripboard of them, so I still think this New Post Topic is a nice one for historic purposes 

33 minutes ago, richcottrell said:

Joe, I did not realize to have the  DeLorean from Back to the Future but now I know this, I will not be able take sports bets from you....

in the opening part of this video the interviewer says the date he is conducting the interview...

oct 15, 2018

listen to that opening again and feel free to edit your comment.... unless you really do have “The Hot Tub Time Machine” 

;)

:)

anyway, these interview videos were new for me, and I never saw a mention on the Gripboard of them, so I still think this New Post Topic is a nice one for historic purposes 

I’m telling you I saw an interview of 6 parts just like this a few years ago.Looks like the same one. If it’s not, then there is another just like it out there.  No delorean needed. Perhaps coincidence there are 2 Slim docs of 6 part duration? Hmmmmm. 

I saw the frame and recognized it looking like a doc from around 6 years ago. Perhaps he has done a similar interview in the same clothes, in the same room, I did not click on it to hear it because it looked like I already saw it, I stand corrected as the date is mentioned. Haha!

Edited by Guest

15 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I’m telling you I saw an interview of 6 parts just like this a few years ago.Looks like the same one. If it’s not, then there is another just like it out there.  No delorean needed. Perhaps coincidence there are 2 Slim docs of 6 part duration? Hmmmmm. 

If you ever do rediscover that other video, let’s post a link for it here as well.

1 minute ago, richcottrell said:

If you ever do rediscover that other video, let’s post a link for it here as well.

I will try and find it. It looked exactly like this one....

The reason I bring up the date is that on this recent one, you can tell that Slim has some age-related slippage here. Not the same razor-sharp mind and intensity he displayed just a few years earlier. 

I wrote a MILO article on Slim in 2011, based on many phone conversations i had with him, as well as hours of speaking with him at multiple AOBS gatherings. He and I talked about doing a follow up piece on “how he trained”.  Because MILO stopped publishing 18 months ago, that cannot happen. R Strossen was interested in some sort of piece on the IM website, but after I saw these videos 8, 9 months ago, I thought it would be nearly impossible to pull off.

One of the proudest parts of my amateur “writing” career is when Slim would call me and ask if I could get a few more copies of the magazine for his grandchildren. He was/is not one to throw compliments, but his words were “it was good”.

MILO is so inexpensively priced now, i had thought about buying a batch of them after making contact with Slim, giving him a few more free ones, getting him to autograph the others, and having others reimburse me for the magazines and shipping. My goal would be it would be only for the hardcore fans of his to have something cool, not to make money or to give “collectors” another slice for their archives. If this is of interest to anyone, let me know via PM, and I would consider it.

Bill, I hope this is not violating the “selling” rules. If so, please delete. It may be violating the “religious” rules though, as the admiration some have for him, practically crosses that line. One of a kind for sure☝️

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I will try and find it. It looked exactly like this one....

This "newish" interview video, as well as the original  "Slim The Hammer Man" documentary produced by Dennis Rogers in 2005, were both filmed in Slim's Dungeon.  That is Slim's name for his strength gym and personal old-time strongman museum, which is a separate building from his house.
I wonder if someone tried posting footage from Dennis Rogers' documentary back in the day because while Slim is obviously 15 years older in the "newish" interview, his gym looks the same.