Vulcan Gripper Set

Salmon

I have a Vulcan Gripper and the problem is that I have small hands so its very difficult for me to set it even for a deep set.

I watched some videos of setting it and still can't get that "perfect position" unlike with my TSG.

Currently my workout routine with it is 4 reps 4 sets DS and every rep I let it open fully mainly to train my overall set strength.

I have the chrome spring so it's "lvl1" can't get lower than that.

Any tips?

Just keep practicing it. It's very specific skill you need to develop. Lowest level with the chrome spring is Level 6. Try using easier springs to start with.

• Like 1

I feel like having the gripper higher in my palm works better.

TSGs I split the pinky with the rear handle, but on the vulcan I have it higher up between the pinky and ring finger.

When I have it higher up the pinky is 3/4 on the gripper which feels more powerful for me.

But in all honesty I would get an orange spring and practice and practice. The orange spring seems lighter at the start of the movement and less challenging to set

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dean_redzic said:

I feel like having the gripper higher in my palm works better.

TSGs I split the pinky with the rear handle, but on the vulcan I have it higher up between the pinky and ring finger.

When I have it higher up the pinky is 3/4 on the gripper which feels more powerful for me.

But in all honesty I would get an orange spring and practice and practice. The orange spring seems lighter at the start of the movement and less challenging to set

The thing is that I can't use my fingers to set the same way I do with the TSG. I just "hook" with the fingers of the support hand (not using the side pad of the finger like with the TSG) and not using my chest because I can't reach. It hurts my fingers and it doesn't feel powerful at all. I could always use my legs or other body parts to set it but then it kinda ruins the fun. lighter spring won't fix my finger's reach I think I just need a really good positioning but idk which.

I suggest posting a video of your attempt with a set on a gripper. That way people can give you pointers on where you may need to focus on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, John McCarter said:

I suggest posting a video of your attempt with a set on a gripper. That way people can give you pointers on where you may need to focus on.

Yes, definitely post a video. If you're hands truly are too small to use the Vulcan, just don't use it. Buy some Tetting grippers, punch the pins out and make them adjustable, or buy another adjustable gripper like the Robert Baraban, it has more narrow spread, similar to TSG's.

3 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Try setting it between the legs instead, it is about hand strength after all and not the ability to set the gripper with a difficult method just because. 

Maybe try Holles method where you set the gripper a little bit in the hand so you can just get the fingers over, and then reposition to set the last distance. 

Yes it's about hand strength, that is exactly why the legs shouldn't be used at all :) 

I had one and had the same issue as you. It felt nothing like how I might set a tsg because the spread was just too wide, no matter how i adjusted.

After giving it lots of practice to no success, I decided to sell mine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hopefully said:

Well, I don't agree with you at all. The set for me has very little to do with the strength of my hands as I see it. Besides, if I never started using my legs for setting my hands would never be as strong as they are. A bit paradoxal then. 

Sure you can train that way but I don't know of any certifications or competitions that allow this. Except for silver bullet, which is a completely different thing. It all comes down to what goals you have but I would never recommend anyone to neglect training a proper set, if they want to achieve something in grip sport (except SB then).

Setting grippers has everything with hand strength to do. I promise :) 

As for the Vulcan gripper, it might not be the best option for everyone. 17 cm from wrist to fingertip is very short. I would probably switch to the Baraban adjustable instead if my hands was only 17 cm.

11 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Try setting it between the legs instead, it is about hand strength after all and not the ability to set the gripper with a difficult method just because. 

Maybe try Holles method where you set the gripper a little bit in the hand so you can just get the fingers over, and then reposition to set the last distance. 

I could use my legs but I don't wanna do it this way >< I tried holles method few times and wasnt much success but maybe it will get better with practice. il keep trying.

3 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Sure you can train that way but I don't know of any certifications or competitions that allow this. Except for silver bullet, which is a completely different thing. It all comes down to what goals you have but I would never recommend anyone to neglect training a proper set, if they want to achieve something in grip sport (except SB then).

Setting grippers has everything with hand strength to do. I promise :) 

As for the Vulcan gripper, it might not be the best option for everyone. 17 cm from wrist to fingertip is very short. I would probably switch to the Baraban adjustable instead if my hands was only 17 cm.

I don't wanna give up just yet. It's not that I can't close it at all I can but still don't have good technique.

I would still keep the vulcan and practice it even if my setting will never be perfect.

Edited by Salmon

21 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Sure.

For competing I agree with you, obviously for mm/ghp certs too. For myself I only care about the Ironmind cert and gaining strong crush generally, and choosing to train with lesser grippers because I'm bad at setting would be detrimental to my progress. If I hadn't started setting between the legs, I would never have the hand strength I do now. 

For the set I have never felt held back because of hand strength, I use my chest, wrist and shoulder muscles to push the gripper in. Not my hands. When I have it pushed in enough to get my fingers over to help then it's easy. The issue is getting there. I did try to get good at it but simply couldn't do it, and felt like making my workouts revolve around trying to set the things at all wasn't productive. I can't even set an easy #3 properly 😛

But yes, as you say, it depends entirely on your goals. 

The reason you can't set those grippers are because you lack the strength in the hands. Let's be honest you don't lack the strength in the rest of your upper body. When you're using the legs you're bracing, that's why you get stronger.

Setting is a different exercise in itself and needs to be practiced a lot. That's why the Vulcan is so great because it's not at all like any other gripper out there. Practicing with it will make setting much, much stronger. This can't really be explained to be honest, it needs to be experienced.

However if your goal is only CCS, then it obviously doesn't matter since you don't need to have strong set for that anyways.

• 11 months later...
50 minutes ago, Ryroza said:

Does the chrome spring Have an RGC level list?

yes

6 hours ago, dean_redzic said:

Those are way off compared to TSG's, nowhere near accurate. They would only be useful by themself. However, that's kinda pointless with a gripper like that since you can microload it, you don't need to know the exact numbers anyway.

7 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Those are way off compared to TSG's, nowhere near accurate. They would only be useful by themself. However, that's kinda pointless with a gripper like that since you can microload it, you don't need to know the exact numbers anyway.

Agree. The main difference I noticed was that the Vulcan produces the same force thoughout the entire ROM while TSG ramps up towards the close.

So training on the Vulcan will make your setting technique and sweep very strong once you switch to TSGs but not so much on the end range.

19 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

Agree. The main difference I noticed was that the Vulcan produces the same force thoughout the entire ROM while TSG ramps up towards the close.

So training on the Vulcan will make your setting technique and sweep very strong once you switch to TSGs but not so much on the end range.

That's true but it's most prominent with the chrome spring. The orange spring acts closer to a TSG, yet still harder through the whole ROM.

Don't know about the other springs since I never tried them.