Plate Pinch question

devinhoo

Question to those who can pinch 2x45lb plates (or 2x20kg plates, or 2x25kg plates). How much could you pinch on a similar width block before you could do the real thing?

Similar question to the "how much could you lift on [rolling handle] before you could lift the Inch Dumbbell" but for plate pinching.

• Like 1

This isn't exactly your question but maybe a helpful anecdote. I have lifted 78lbs on the flask and still can't pinch two 35s

Flask (56mm) and pinching two competition width plates go hand in hand for me. When I got my left hand flask over 50kg I got double lift with the 25kg plates. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, devinhoo said:

Question to those who can pinch 2x45lb plates (or 2x20kg plates, or 2x25kg plates). How much could you pinch on a similar width block before you could do the real thing?

Similar question to the "how much could you lift on [rolling handle] before you could lift the Inch Dumbbell" but for plate pinching.

Pinch is a friction thing, a lot depends on the surface of the implement and the width. If both is compareable, 40 kg on pinch block is about 2x20kg plates.  Another factor is how much can you crowd back the implement. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Friction matters a lot, like Florian said. I have some slick painted 45's that I can't lift and some rough rusty ones that I can get any day. The Flask is a little bit thicker than a pair of 20kg or 25kg steel competition plates, but it is just a little thinner than a pair of regular cast 45s. I think I was personally low-mid nineties on the Flask before I was comfortably pinching 2-45's. On a shorter pinch block connected with a carabiner, you can tilt the block more than you can tilt a fixed device or plates, so I would say you might need to pinch over 100 to be solid on pinching 2-45s. More than anything, though, the friction on the plates will be the deciding factor. Humidity and hand moisture will be critical unless you put in some work and get a nice cake of chalk built up on the plates.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2019 at 10:49 AM, Squeezus said:

Friction matters a lot, like Florian said. I have some slick painted 45's that I can't lift and some rough rusty ones that I can get any day. The Flask is a little bit thicker than a pair of 20kg or 25kg steel competition plates, but it is just a little thinner than a pair of regular cast 45s. I think I was personally low-mid nineties on the Flask before I was comfortably pinching 2-45's. On a shorter pinch block connected with a carabiner, you can tilt the block more than you can tilt a fixed device or plates, so I would say you might need to pinch over 100 to be solid on pinching 2-45s. More than anything, though, the friction on the plates will be the deciding factor. Humidity and hand moisture will be critical unless you put in some work and get a nice cake of chalk built up on the plates.

That's good to know. The 2" and 3" pinch blocks I have are painted and closer to the texture of the old iron plates at the gym, but definitely more textured than competition plates. The pinch blocks are connected with an eye bolt rather than fixed, although I've been trying to minimize tilt as much as I can. But from what you're saying it sounds like I might need to aim closer to 100 lbs than 90 lbs.

53 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

That's good to know. The 2" and 3" pinch blocks I have are painted and closer to the texture of the old iron plates at the gym, but definitely more textured than competition plates. The pinch blocks are connected with an eye bolt rather than fixed, although I've been trying to minimize tilt as much as I can. But from what you're saying it sounds like I might need to aim closer to 100 lbs than 90 lbs.

It's hard to overstate the effect of tilting on a pinch lift. That's why you see people getting so close to 300lbs on saxon bar vs the much lower numbers on Flask and even Euro.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2019 at 9:30 AM, Mywor said:

Flask (56mm) and pinching two competition width plates go hand in hand for me. When I got my left hand flask over 50kg I got double lift with the 25kg plates. 

This!!!

On 10/20/2019 at 8:44 PM, Climber028 said:

This isn't exactly your question but maybe a helpful anecdote. I have lifted 78lbs on the flask and still can't pinch two 35s

I'm the exact opposite, I lifted double 35s way before I broke even 75 on the flask.

Edited by Jose Cabrera
Grammar is a thing.

• 1 month later...

The Flask is a lot thinner than standard cast plates.  My Blockbuster is about the same thickness, but with a different angle.  I can do around 70 on the Flask and sometimes can't lift two slick standard 25s.