Jump to content

Popeye! A Training Log


Recommended Posts

mcalpine1986
On 1/8/2021 at 1:12 PM, Ricochet said:

Nope, just my fat handle wrist roller, fat grips, and my CoC grippers. Just making do the best I can. Probably good timing for a de-load to let my tendons and connective tissue catch-up with my recent muscle growth.

Still a nice little selection though. 

Yeah it could prove a good thing in the long run. Hopefully gyms wont be shut for too long though.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Ricochet

    472

  • mcalpine1986

    59

  • Hopefully

    5

  • Fist of Fury

    5

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WEDNESDAY, 16 OCT 2019 Cable Fat-Grip Rolling V-Handles Seated Pulldown Wrist Curl Both Arms; 50 Reps @ 60  |  80  |  100  |  120 LBS; 42 Reps @ 140 LBS Cable Fat-Grip Rolling-Handle Standing

Chinese Power DB Row_Olympic Weightlifting Champion Shi Zhiyong

LOG STARTED ON WEDNESDAY, 16 OCTOBER 2019   1991 - 2008; ORIGINS   [19 NOV 2008 = 13¾" (Wrist: ~7½"; Mid-Forearm: ~11½")] My initial serious foray into the grip world was via a hard les

Posted Images

Ricochet

TUESDAY, 12 JAN 2021
FAT WRIST ROLLER  +  TEXAS PUSH-UPS
*;
5 SUPERSETS: 8 ↑↓ @ 4kg  +  1>10-REPS (55) @ <50s

 

* Texas Push-Up Challenge: An ascending ladder push-up set starting from one (1) rep and going up to ten (10) reps while quickly standing up fully after every ladder "rep set" completed. Begin standing, start the clock and rapidly drop down and perform one perfect Push-Up. Stand back up quickly and immediately drop back down again and knock-out two Push-Ups; stand up. Drop back down once again, do three Push-Ups, stand back up again. Repeat this pattern until ten ladder sets (rep sets) have been completed, ending in a standing position; stop the clock. A total of 55 Push-Ups will be performed. Perform for best time with best form (please note that the timer begins and ends in a standing position).

~3:00+ = Poor
~2:00 = Average
~1:30 = Good
~1:00 = Excellent
<50s = Exceptional

Edited by Ricochet
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Ricochet

WEDNESDAY, 13 JAN 2021
SUPER-WIDE BAR DIP + DEADHANG HOLD: 10 x 20 + 30s
SUPER-WIDE BAR DIP: 5 x 5 w/ 3-COUNT PAUSES
HANGING STRAIGHT-LEG RAISE: 5 x 10+
FAT WRIST ROLLER: 3 x 6 ↑↓ @ 4kg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Ricochet

THURSDAY, 14 JAN 2021
FAT-GRIP WIDE-GRIP PULL-UP: 5 x 10
FAT-GRIP CLOSE-GRIP TOP-HALF PULL-UP: 10 x 5
FAT-GRIP VIKING PRESS: ~75 CONSECUTIVE REPS @ ~20kg
FAT WRIST ROLLER: 3 x 6 ↑↓ @ 4kg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Ricochet

FRIDAY, 15 JAN 2021
FAT WRIST ROLLER  +  TEXAS PUSH-UPS  +  HAND GRIPPER;
3 GIANT SETS: 10 ↑↓ @ 4kg  +  55 @ <50s  +  50 L&R @ COC#1

 

 

3 x 10 ↑↓ = ~1,200 Total Rolls in three separate sets of ten consecutive Rolls Up and Down

10 ↑↓ = ~400 Total Rolls in a single set consisting of ten consecutive Rolls Up and Down

↑↓ = ~40 Total Rolls; ~20 Rolls Up and ~20 Rolls Back Down (one single Roll is composed of two Turns: one turn with the left-hand and one turn with the right; so 40 Rolls equals 80 Turns)

 

Texas Push-Up Challenge: An ascending ladder push-up set starting from one (1) rep and going up to ten (10) reps while quickly standing up fully after every ladder "rep set" completed. Begin standing, start the clock and rapidly drop down and perform one perfect Push-Up. Stand back up quickly and immediately drop back down again and knock-out two Push-Ups; stand up. Drop back down once again, do three Push-Ups, stand back up again. Repeat this pattern until ten ladder sets (rep sets) have been completed, ending in a standing position; stop the clock. A total of 55 Push-Ups will be performed.

~3:00+ = Poor
~2:00 = Average
~1:30 = Good
~1:00 = Excellent
<50s = Exceptional

Edited by Ricochet
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Ricochet

SATURDAY, 16 JAN 2021
FAT WRIST ROLLER: 4 x 10 ↑↓ @ 4kg
BELT FOREARM PRONATION: 4 x 100 L&R @ 4kg
BELT FOREARM DEVIATION: 4 x 50 L&R @ 4kg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Ricochet

SUNDAY, 17 JAN 2021
FAT-GRIP "MAX TENSION" CHIN-UP: 5 x 5
HANGING BELT PULL-UP: 5 x 6... my fingers were toast after these
FAT-GRIP CLOSE-GRIP CHIN-UP: 4 x 10
FAT WRIST ROLLER: 3 x 4 ↑↓ @ 4kg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

MONDAY, 18 JAN 2021
SUPER-WIDE BAR DIP + LEG RAISE: 10 x 5 @ 3-COUNT + 5
SUPER-WIDE BAR DIP: 37
FAT-GRIP VIKING PRESS: 50 L&R @ ~20kg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
mcalpine1986
1 hour ago, Ricochet said:

MONDAY, 18 JAN 2021
SUPER-WIDE BAR DIP + LEG RAISE: 10 x 5 @ 3-COUNT + 5
SUPER-WIDE BAR DIP: 37
FAT-GRIP VIKING PRESS: 50 L&R @ ~20kg

What is a viking press? I know strongmen do the viking log press. Similar set up?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

What is a viking press? I know strongmen do the viking log press. Similar set up?

Yes, very similar.  An outdoor gym with  pull-up and dip bars has a T-Row and Viking Press. For the Viking Press one end of a long, wide-diameter, weighted metal pipe is secured (hinged) and on the other has handles for pressing which I throw my fat-grips onto. Feels like it is about ~20kg in pressing load so slower and higher reps under max tension are most definitely required. Better than nothing!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
mcalpine1986
9 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

Yes, very similar.  An outdoor gym with  pull-up and dip bars has a T-Row and Viking Press. For the Viking Press one end of a long, wide-diameter, weighted metal pipe is secured (hinged) and on the other has handles for pressing which I throw my fat-grips onto. Feels like it is about ~20kg in pressing load so slower and higher reps under max tension are most definitely required. Better than nothing!

Sounds good. Yes we must do what we can in the lockdown. Tension is key anyway.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Davideghisa said:

Where do you measure your wrist?

At the narrowest part... closer to the palm than the forearm.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I could note on mine that if I measure them just under the bone (on the forearm side) the size could change since there are some muscles, elsewhere if I measure them between the hand and the bone it's a fixed measure since it's mainly bone... I wonder how you have managed to change so much their size, maybe your bones have calcified through repeated stresses

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Davideghisa said:

I could note on mine that if I measure them just under the bone (on the forearm side) the size could change since there are some muscles, elsewhere if I measure them between the hand and the bone it's a fixed measure since it's mainly bone... I wonder how you have managed to change so much their size, maybe your bones have calcified through repeated stresses

I chalk that up to subcutaneous fat and water under the skin... the lack of to be specific. That first wrist measurement of 6¼" you see back on 21 AUGUST 2018 was when I was at an extremely lean 86kg (7-8% BF). I had just finished my last competitive season a month before (I was a professional athlete for nearly three years from 2015 until 2018) and was just gaining my weight back from a end-of-season dead low of 72-73kg @ 5-6% BF.  Today, I am nearly 100kg and 14-16% BF and holding much, much more water and fat in my skin and my wrists and ankles do tend to bloat as I get bigger and/or lift heavier. Also, I do believe my tendons expand a little which increases my wrist girth some.

Edited by Ricochet
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

TUESDAY, 19 JAN 2021
FAT WRIST ROLLER  +  HAND GRIPPER;
1 x 6 ↑↓ @ 7kg  +  50 L&R @ COC#1  +  90s REST
4 x 6 ↑↓ @ 9kg  +  50 L&R @ COC#1  +  90s REST

 

5 x 6 ↑↓ = ~1,200 Total Rolls in five separate sets of six consecutive clusters of ~20 Rolls Up and ~20 Rolls Back Down

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

I chalk that up to subcutaneous fat and water under the skin... the lack of to be specific. That first wrist measurement of 6¼" you see back on 21 AUGUST 2018 was when I was at an extremely lean 86kg (7-8% BF). I had just finished my last competitive season a month before (I was a professional athlete for nearly three years from 2015 until 2018) and was just gaining my weight back from a dead low of 72-73kg @ 5-6% BF.  Today, I am nearly 100kg and 14-16% BF and holding much, much more water and fat in my skin and my wrists and ankles do tend to bloat as I get bigger and/or lift heavier. Also, I do believe my tendons expand a little which increases my wrist girth some.

Fair point, 86 kg at that level of leanness is good, but how were your forearms so tiny back in 2018? Then you wrote in 2008 you were at a lower bodyweight (78~ kg) but you had much bigger wrists and forearms compared to 2018, so maybe your specific forearm training have way more to do to your size compared to your body water levels and fat %.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Davideghisa

Quote

Fair point, 86 kg at that level of leanness is good, but how were your forearms so tiny back in 2018? Then you wrote in 2008 you were at a lower bodyweight (78~ kg) but you had much bigger wrists and forearms compared to 2018, so maybe your specific forearm training have way more to do to your size compared to your body water levels and fat %.  

Regarding 2018

Unfortunately, I had...

An inexcusable ten-year hiatus from all things grip and forearms. In part due to a number of pathetic reasons: losing all my grippers; high operational tempo; heavy travelling in austere work environments; training in muay thai and power lifting; and a psychotic interest in vertical running and stair climbing... during all of which I pretty much ignored my grip and forearms.  

My forearms severely atrophied over those ten years that I neglected them.  Though it didn't really happen until after 2012 when I was still powerlifting and still had 13+" forearms but they were not well defined as before. My forearms disappeared from 2013 until 2015 when I was extremely lean by that point, at single digits from 2015 until 2018, due to an endurance sport that would eat my muscles for breakfast every chance it could (when I accidently dropped under maintenance or training volume spiked for pre-race prep and peak).


Regarding 2008

I was around ~79-80kg by late 2008... mostly due to my transferring over to a specific "Fly-Away" team that had a sub-85kg weight limit but it must be noted that I literally just came down from ~105kg as a QRF Commander for a unit requiring 95+kg mid-year 2008.  So that 79-80 kg was a recent drop in weight for me and for sure I was probably well over 10% BF at that time.

My forearms were massive in 2008 because I had seriously trained them via grippers; weighted pull-ups; and a wrist roller for well over 16 years religiously. I had a 275 kg strapless deadlift and a high rep 300+kg strapless rack pull so my grip was massive back them. During that 16-year period I was also usually between 95 and 105kg depending on where I was and which unit/team.

 

Regarding Forearm Size vs BW

As I said in my intro post:

At my heaviest ~100-105kg (which I have held for over a year three separate occasions during my career for duty purposes) my forearms were only ~12-13" so overall size has had very little effect on my forearm size... I chalk it up to my body type and naturally long thin arms.  Direct work is the key for me to grow my forearms.

Bodyweight has not been that crucial for my achieving large forearms; not as much as one would think. Everytime I had to drop (make) weight for duty purposes my forearm size was maintained IF I continued to train them.  Though having a younger body might have been the key advantage back then 😉.

Now during that ten-year hiatus when I wasn't training my forearms I did not experience significant forearm growth if and when I moved from high 80s/low 90s up to 100-105kg.


I am slowly creeping back up there again now and I really think I can break my 13¾" record in another year or two whether I remain at my current 100kg or if I come down slightly to 95kg or even 90 kg... will have to see where I feel the most comfortable at my advanced age.  Will see if bodyweight will be a large significant factor or not. I may be wrong.

Edited by Ricochet
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Davideghisa said:

Fair point, 86 kg at that level of leanness is good, but how were your forearms so tiny back in 2018? Then you wrote in 2008 you were at a lower bodyweight (78~ kg) but you had much bigger wrists and forearms compared to 2018, so maybe your specific forearm training have way more to do to your size compared to your body water levels and fat %.  

One other interesting and notable aspect is that my mid-forearm measurement is now the largest it has ever been at... just measured it at 11⅞"!  Go figure?!

21NOV2020 = 94kg; 12⅜" (Wrist: 7¼"; Mid: 11¾")
10SEP2012 = 98kg; 13¼" (Wrist: ---"; Mid: 11¾")
19NOV2008 = 80kg; 13¾" (Wrist: 7½"; Mid: 11½")
 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ricochet said:

@Davideghisa

Regarding 2018

Unfortunately, I had...

An inexcusable ten-year hiatus from all things grip and forearms. In part due to a number of pathetic reasons: losing all my grippers; high operational tempo; heavy travelling in austere work environments; training in muay thai and power lifting; and a psychotic interest in vertical running and stair climbing... during all of which I pretty much ignored my grip and forearms.  

My forearms severely atrophied over those ten years that I neglected them.  Though it didn't really happen until after 2012 when I was still powerlifting and still had 13+" forearms but they were not well defined as before. My forearms disappeared from 2013 until 2015 when I was extremely lean by that point, at single digits from 2015 until 2018, due to an endurance sport that would eat my muscles for breakfast every chance it could (when I accidently dropped under maintenance or training volume spiked for pre-race prep and peak).


Regarding 2008

I was around ~79-80kg by late 2008... mostly due to my transferring over to a specific "Fly-Away" team that had a sub-85kg weight limit but it must be noted that I literally just came down from ~105kg as a QRF Commander for a unit requiring 95+kg mid-year 2008.  So that 79-80 kg was a recent drop in weight for me and for sure I was probably well over 10% BF at that time.

My forearms were massive in 2008 because I had seriously trained them via grippers; weighted pull-ups; and a wrist roller for well over 16 years religiously. I had a 275 kg strapless deadlift and a high rep 300+kg strapless rack pull so my grip was massive back them. During that 16-year period I was also usually between 95 and 105kg depending on where I was and which unit/team.

 

Regarding Forearm Size vs BW

As I said in my intro post:

At my heaviest ~100-105kg (which I have held for over a year three separate occasions during my career for duty purposes) my forearms were only ~12-13" so overall size has had very little effect on my forearm size... I chalk it up to my body type and naturally long thin arms.  Direct work is the key for me to grow my forearms.

Bodyweight has not been that crucial for my achieving large forearms; not as much as one would think. Everytime I had to drop (make) weight for duty purposes my forearm size was maintained IF I continued to train them.  Though having a younger body might have been the key advantage back then 😉.

Now during that ten-year hiatus when I wasn't training my forearms I did not experience significant forearm growth if and when I moved from high 80s/low 90s up to 100-105kg.


I am slowly creeping back up there again now and I really think I can break my 13¾" record in another year or two whether I remain at my current 100kg or if I come down slightly to 95kg or even 90 kg... will have to see where I feel the most comfortable at my advanced age.  Will see if bodyweight will be a large significant factor or not. I may be wrong.

You are very determined to achieve your size goal and I'm sure you will reach it with time, I will follow your updates, keep going man!

PS. By the way, what's your height?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Davideghisa said:

You are very determined to achieve your size goal and I'm sure you will reach it with time, I will follow your updates, keep going man!

PS. By the way, what's your height?

Much appreciated! I will surely strive hard this time around as I no longer have any distractions or obligations to pull me away.

A sinewy 6"1" 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

WEDNESDAY, 20 JAN 2021
FAT WRIST ROLLER + BELT PRONATION + BELT DEVIATION:
       2 SETS = 10 ↑ +  50 L&R  +  50 L&R  @ 5kg; 60s REST  
FAT HANDLE WRIST ROLLER: 3 ↑↓ @ 9kg
FAT HANDLE REVERSE WRIST CURL: 50+ @ 9kg
FAT HANDLE WRIST CURL: 50+ @ 9kg

 

2 Sets of 10 ↑ = ~400 Total Rolls completed in two separate sets (one flexion focused the second extension) of ten consecutive clusters of ~20 Rolls Up Only (Speed Release Down)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Ricochet

FRIDAY, 22 JAN 2021
FOUR (4) ROUNDS OF:
3 ↑↓ FAT HANDLE WRIST ROLLER @ 9kg
30 FAT HANDLE REVERSE WRIST CURLS @ 9kg
30 FAT HANDLE WRIST CURLS @ 9kg
30 L&R HAND GRIPPER @ COC#1
30 CLOSE-GRIP PUSH-UPS
<60s REST

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Ricochet

SATURDAY, 23 JAN 2021
OVERHEAD PLATE RAISE: 225 CONSECUTIVE REPS @ 5kg
TEXAS PUSH-UPS: 1 > 10-REPS (55) @ 49.07s

 

Texas Push-Ups: An ascending ladder push-up set starting from one (1) rep and going up to ten (10) reps while quickly standing up fully after every ladder "rep set" completed. Begin standing, start the clock and rapidly drop down and perform one perfect Push-Up. Stand back up quickly and immediately drop back down again and knock-out two Push-Ups; stand up. Drop back down once again, do three Push-Ups, stand back up again. Repeat this pattern until ten ladder sets (rep sets) have been completed, ending in a standing position; stop the clock. A total of 55 Push-Ups will be performed.

~3:00+ = Poor
~2:00 = Average
~1:30 = Good
~1:00 = Excellent
<50s = Exceptional

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.