SUPER-WIDE BAR DIP: 37
FAT-GRIP VIKING PRESS: 50 L&R @ ~20kg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricochet said:

MONDAY, 18 JAN 2021
SUPER-WIDE BAR DIP + LEG RAISE: 10 x 5 @ 3-COUNT + 5
SUPER-WIDE BAR DIP: 37
FAT-GRIP VIKING PRESS: 50 L&R @ ~20kg

What is a viking press? I know strongmen do the viking log press. Similar set up?

3 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

What is a viking press? I know strongmen do the viking log press. Similar set up?

Yes, very similar.  An outdoor gym with  pull-up and dip bars has a T-Row and Viking Press. For the Viking Press one end of a long, wide-diameter, weighted metal pipe is secured (hinged) and on the other has handles for pressing which I throw my fat-grips onto. Feels like it is about ~20kg in pressing load so slower and higher reps under max tension are most definitely required. Better than nothing!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

Yes, very similar.  An outdoor gym with  pull-up and dip bars has a T-Row and Viking Press. For the Viking Press one end of a long, wide-diameter, weighted metal pipe is secured (hinged) and on the other has handles for pressing which I throw my fat-grips onto. Feels like it is about ~20kg in pressing load so slower and higher reps under max tension are most definitely required. Better than nothing!

Sounds good. Yes we must do what we can in the lockdown. Tension is key anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davideghisa said:

Where do you measure your wrist?

At the narrowest part... closer to the palm than the forearm.

• Like 1

I could note on mine that if I measure them just under the bone (on the forearm side) the size could change since there are some muscles, elsewhere if I measure them between the hand and the bone it's a fixed measure since it's mainly bone... I wonder how you have managed to change so much their size, maybe your bones have calcified through repeated stresses

• Like 1

I could note on mine that if I measure them just under the bone (on the forearm side) the size could change since there are some muscles, elsewhere if I measure them between the hand and the bone it's a fixed measure since it's mainly bone... I wonder how you have managed to change so much their size, maybe your bones have calcified through repeated stresses

I chalk that up to subcutaneous fat and water under the skin... the lack of to be specific. That first wrist measurement of 6¼" you see back on 21 AUGUST 2018 was when I was at an extremely lean 86kg (7-8% BF). I had just finished my last competitive season a month before (I was a professional athlete for nearly three years from 2015 until 2018) and was just gaining my weight back from a end-of-season dead low of 72-73kg @ 5-6% BF.  Today, I am nearly 100kg and 14-16% BF and holding much, much more water and fat in my skin and my wrists and ankles do tend to bloat as I get bigger and/or lift heavier. Also, I do believe my tendons expand a little which increases my wrist girth some.

Edited by Ricochet
  • Like 2

TUESDAY, 19 JAN 2021
FAT WRIST ROLLER  +  HAND GRIPPER;
1 x 6 ↑↓ @ 7kg  +  50 L&R @ COC#1  +  90s REST
4 x 6 ↑↓ @ 9kg  +  50 L&R @ COC#1  +  90s REST

5 x 6 ↑↓ = ~1,200 Total Rolls in five separate sets of six consecutive clusters of ~20 Rolls Up and ~20 Rolls Back Down

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

I chalk that up to subcutaneous fat and water under the skin... the lack of to be specific. That first wrist measurement of 6¼" you see back on 21 AUGUST 2018 was when I was at an extremely lean 86kg (7-8% BF). I had just finished my last competitive season a month before (I was a professional athlete for nearly three years from 2015 until 2018) and was just gaining my weight back from a dead low of 72-73kg @ 5-6% BF.  Today, I am nearly 100kg and 14-16% BF and holding much, much more water and fat in my skin and my wrists and ankles do tend to bloat as I get bigger and/or lift heavier. Also, I do believe my tendons expand a little which increases my wrist girth some.

Fair point, 86 kg at that level of leanness is good, but how were your forearms so tiny back in 2018? Then you wrote in 2008 you were at a lower bodyweight (78~ kg) but you had much bigger wrists and forearms compared to 2018, so maybe your specific forearm training have way more to do to your size compared to your body water levels and fat %.  

@Davideghisa

Fair point, 86 kg at that level of leanness is good, but how were your forearms so tiny back in 2018? Then you wrote in 2008 you were at a lower bodyweight (78~ kg) but you had much bigger wrists and forearms compared to 2018, so maybe your specific forearm training have way more to do to your size compared to your body water levels and fat %.  

Regarding 2018

Unfortunately, I had...

An inexcusable ten-year hiatus from all things grip and forearms. In part due to a number of pathetic reasons: losing all my grippers; high operational tempo; heavy travelling in austere work environments; training in muay thai and power lifting; and a psychotic interest in vertical running and stair climbing... during all of which I pretty much ignored my grip and forearms.  

My forearms severely atrophied over those ten years that I neglected them.  Though it didn't really happen until after 2012 when I was still powerlifting and still had 13+" forearms but they were not well defined as before. My forearms disappeared from 2013 until 2015 when I was extremely lean by that point, at single digits from 2015 until 2018, due to an endurance sport that would eat my muscles for breakfast every chance it could (when I accidently dropped under maintenance or training volume spiked for pre-race prep and peak).

Regarding 2008

I was around ~79-80kg by late 2008... mostly due to my transferring over to a specific "Fly-Away" team that had a sub-85kg weight limit but it must be noted that I literally just came down from ~105kg as a QRF Commander for a unit requiring 95+kg mid-year 2008.  So that 79-80 kg was a recent drop in weight for me and for sure I was probably well over 10% BF at that time.

My forearms were massive in 2008 because I had seriously trained them via grippers; weighted pull-ups; and a wrist roller for well over 16 years religiously. I had a 275 kg strapless deadlift and a high rep 300+kg strapless rack pull so my grip was massive back them. During that 16-year period I was also usually between 95 and 105kg depending on where I was and which unit/team.

Regarding Forearm Size vs BW

As I said in my intro post:

At my heaviest ~100-105kg (which I have held for over a year three separate occasions during my career for duty purposes) my forearms were only ~12-13" so overall size has had very little effect on my forearm size... I chalk it up to my body type and naturally long thin arms.  Direct work is the key for me to grow my forearms.

Bodyweight has not been that crucial for my achieving large forearms; not as much as one would think. Everytime I had to drop (make) weight for duty purposes my forearm size was maintained IF I continued to train them.  Though having a younger body might have been the key advantage back then 😉.

Now during that ten-year hiatus when I wasn't training my forearms I did not experience significant forearm growth if and when I moved from high 80s/low 90s up to 100-105kg.

I am slowly creeping back up there again now and I really think I can break my 13¾" record in another year or two whether I remain at my current 100kg or if I come down slightly to 95kg or even 90 kg... will have to see where I feel the most comfortable at my advanced age.  Will see if bodyweight will be a large significant factor or not. I may be wrong.

Edited by Ricochet
  • Like 2

One other interesting and notable aspect is that my mid-forearm measurement is now the largest it has ever been at... just measured it at 11⅞"!  Go figure?!

21NOV2020 = 94kg; 12⅜" (Wrist: 7¼"; Mid: 11¾")
10SEP2012 = 98kg; 13¼" (Wrist: ---"; Mid: 11¾")
19NOV2008 = 80kg; 13¾" (Wrist: 7½"; Mid: 11½")

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ricochet said:

@Davideghisa

Regarding 2018

Unfortunately, I had...

An inexcusable ten-year hiatus from all things grip and forearms. In part due to a number of pathetic reasons: losing all my grippers; high operational tempo; heavy travelling in austere work environments; training in muay thai and power lifting; and a psychotic interest in vertical running and stair climbing... during all of which I pretty much ignored my grip and forearms.  

My forearms severely atrophied over those ten years that I neglected them.  Though it didn't really happen until after 2012 when I was still powerlifting and still had 13+" forearms but they were not well defined as before. My forearms disappeared from 2013 until 2015 when I was extremely lean by that point, at single digits from 2015 until 2018, due to an endurance sport that would eat my muscles for breakfast every chance it could (when I accidently dropped under maintenance or training volume spiked for pre-race prep and peak).

Regarding 2008

I was around ~79-80kg by late 2008... mostly due to my transferring over to a specific "Fly-Away" team that had a sub-85kg weight limit but it must be noted that I literally just came down from ~105kg as a QRF Commander for a unit requiring 95+kg mid-year 2008.  So that 79-80 kg was a recent drop in weight for me and for sure I was probably well over 10% BF at that time.

My forearms were massive in 2008 because I had seriously trained them via grippers; weighted pull-ups; and a wrist roller for well over 16 years religiously. I had a 275 kg strapless deadlift and a high rep 300+kg strapless rack pull so my grip was massive back them. During that 16-year period I was also usually between 95 and 105kg depending on where I was and which unit/team.

Regarding Forearm Size vs BW

As I said in my intro post:

At my heaviest ~100-105kg (which I have held for over a year three separate occasions during my career for duty purposes) my forearms were only ~12-13" so overall size has had very little effect on my forearm size... I chalk it up to my body type and naturally long thin arms.  Direct work is the key for me to grow my forearms.

Bodyweight has not been that crucial for my achieving large forearms; not as much as one would think. Everytime I had to drop (make) weight for duty purposes my forearm size was maintained IF I continued to train them.  Though having a younger body might have been the key advantage back then 😉.

Now during that ten-year hiatus when I wasn't training my forearms I did not experience significant forearm growth if and when I moved from high 80s/low 90s up to 100-105kg.

I am slowly creeping back up there again now and I really think I can break my 13¾" record in another year or two whether I remain at my current 100kg or if I come down slightly to 95kg or even 90 kg... will have to see where I feel the most comfortable at my advanced age.  Will see if bodyweight will be a large significant factor or not. I may be wrong.

You are very determined to achieve your size goal and I'm sure you will reach it with time, I will follow your updates, keep going man!

PS. By the way, what's your height?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Davideghisa said:

You are very determined to achieve your size goal and I'm sure you will reach it with time, I will follow your updates, keep going man!

PS. By the way, what's your height?

Much appreciated! I will surely strive hard this time around as I no longer have any distractions or obligations to pull me away.

A sinewy 6"1" 

• Like 1

WEDNESDAY, 20 JAN 2021
FAT WRIST ROLLER + BELT PRONATION + BELT DEVIATION:
       2 SETS = 10 ↑ +  50 L&R  +  50 L&R  @ 5kg; 60s REST  
FAT HANDLE WRIST ROLLER: 3 ↑↓ @ 9kg
FAT HANDLE REVERSE WRIST CURL: 50+ @ 9kg
FAT HANDLE WRIST CURL: 50+ @ 9kg

2 Sets of 10 ↑ = ~400 Total Rolls completed in two separate sets (one flexion focused the second extension) of ten consecutive clusters of ~20 Rolls Up Only (Speed Release Down)

• Like 2

FRIDAY, 22 JAN 2021
FOUR (4) ROUNDS OF:
3 ↑↓ FAT HANDLE WRIST ROLLER @ 9kg
30 FAT HANDLE REVERSE WRIST CURLS @ 9kg
30 FAT HANDLE WRIST CURLS @ 9kg
30 L&R HAND GRIPPER @ COC#1
30 CLOSE-GRIP PUSH-UPS
<60s REST

• Like 3

SATURDAY, 23 JAN 2021
OVERHEAD PLATE RAISE: 225 CONSECUTIVE REPS @ 5kg
TEXAS PUSH-UPS: 1 > 10-REPS (55) @ 49.07s

Texas Push-Ups: An ascending ladder set starting from one (1) push-up (rep) and going up to ten (10) push-ups (reps), standing up quickly after every ladder "push-up rep set" completed. Begin standing, start the clock and rapidly drop down and perform one perfect Push-Up. Stand back up quickly and immediately drop back down again and knock-out two Push-Ups; stand up. Drop back down once again, do three Push-Ups, stand back up again. Repeat this pattern until ten ladder sets (rep sets) have been completed, ending in a standing position; stop the clock. A total of 55 Push-Ups will be performed.

~3:00+ = Poor
~2:00 = Average
~1:30 = Good
~1:00 = Excellent
<50s = Exceptional

Edited by Ricochet
  • Like 2

SUNDAY, 24 JAN 2021
FAT WRIST ROLLER: 24 ↑↓ NON-STOP @ 5kg
FAT REVERSE WRIST CURL: 125 CONSECUTIVE @ 9kg
DIAMOND PUSH-UP: 102 CONSECUTIVE
SPHINX PUSH-UP: 39 CONSECUTIVE

24 ↑↓ = ~960 Total Rolls in one single consecutive cluster of ~20 Rolls Up and ~20 Rolls Back Down performed twenty-four times in a row without stopping

Edited by Ricochet
  • Like 2

MONDAY, 25 JAN 2021
FAT WRIST ROLLER: 14 ↑↓ @ 7kg *
HAND GRIPPER STRAP HOLD: 3 x 20s L&R @ 2kg w/ COC#1.5
HAND GRIPPER SILVER BULLET: 5 x 20s L&R @ 5kg w/ COC#2
HAND GRIPPER PUMPS: 3 x 30 L&R @ COC#1
FAT WRIST ROLLER: 11 ↑↓ @ 7kg *

* 25 ↑↓ = ~1,000 Total Rolls

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

TUESDAY, 26 JAN 2021
FAT WRIST ROLLER  +  FAT WRIST CURL:
9 ↑↓ NON-STOP @ 9kg  +  112 CONSECUTIVE @ 9kg

With "+" you mean superset?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davideghisa said:

With "+" you mean superset?

Yes! Performed as a superset with virtually no rest in between (just the time it takes to sit-down and get into the wrist curl position.

• Thanks 1