MACHINE GIRONDA A2G HACK SQUAT: 3 x 6 @ ~90 KG
SAUNA: 10-MIN @ 93°C

Edited by Ricochet
Added "PM SESSION"
  • Like 1

TUESDAY, 5 NOV 2019
MACHINE HAMMER CURL:
ISO-PAUSE; 3 x 6-8 @ 140#
HAND GRIPPER: SILVER BULLET HOLD; 11 x LH @ CoC#2 (Best Time: ~41S)
HAND GRIPPER: SILVER BULLET HOLD; 11 x RH @ CoC#2 (Best Time: ~46S)
SAUNA: 17-MIN @ 85°C
BAND FINGER EXTENSION: 10-COUNT; 100 L&R @ IM BLUE/RED

I stop Silver Bullet Holds once I fail to reach 20 seconds; usually my left fails one or two sets early. Today my left felt very strong and it kept up with my right.

"11 x LH" means eleven (11) sets of single holds for time with the Left Hand  

Edited by Ricochet
Reformatted

On 11/3/2019 at 9:36 AM, Ricochet said:

SUNDAY, 3 NOV 2019
AM SESSION:
Cable Fat-Grip Rolling V-Handles Seated Row Wrist Curl

5 x 5 Reps + 5-Count Flexed Wrist Hold @ 200 LBS
5 x 10 Reps + 10-Count Flexed Wrist Hold @ 180 LB

Belt Forearm Rotation
Pronation; 10 Reps L&R @ 30 KG
Pronation; 10 x 10 Reps L&R @ 25 KG

Sauna
15-Minutes @ 93°C

Band Finger Extension
700 Total Reps L&R w/ IM Blue & Red

700 reps with the blue and red band is a lot of volume. I find i get a bit of tendonitis in my outer elbow joint if i do too many. What kind of sets and reps do u do here? 

2 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

700 reps with the blue and red band is a lot of volume. I find i get a bit of tendonitis in my outer elbow joint if i do too many. What kind of sets and reps do u do here? 

Amazing how different our bodies can be... high reps (mostly performed with holds anywhere from a 2 to 10-count) really helped alleviate some horrible tendinitis I had been dealing with for a very long time on both sides of my elbow... and continues to stave it off superbly well. I tend to perform a super high rep session (500+) when my elbows start feeling achy (for me a precursor to tendinitis wanting to set in). Usually one super high rep session stops tendinitis in it's tracks.

As I perform some form of lower arm movement every workout the daily high volume of band finger extensions seems to nicely counter that. I found the same to be true of rear delts when I was benching and overhead pressing a lot before... the high volume (100s) of face pulls, rear delt flys, and band pull aparts kept my shoulders super healthy and happy. 

Those 700 total reps were performed without holds for sets of 50 reps per hand... although I do sometimes use sets of 25 reps. Typically, I evenly divided it between the two bands... 350 reps each hand with the blue band and then another 350 reps per hand with the red. I also perform anywhere from 50 to 100 reps with the weaker yellow band as a warm-up before I used the blue/red bands.

For two to three-count holds I usually drop down to 20 to 25 reps per set. Five-count holds the sets are usually down to 10 to 15 reps.  And for 10-count holds I usually perform singles up to a maximum of 5 reps per set.

23 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

Amazing how different our bodies can be... high reps (mostly performed with holds anywhere from a 2 to 10-count) really helped alleviate some horrible tendinitis I had been dealing with for a very long time on both sides of my elbow... and continues to stave it off superbly well. I tend to perform a super high rep session (500+) when my elbows start feeling achy (for me a precursor to tendinitis wanting to set in). Usually one super high rep session stops tendinitis in it's tracks.

As I perform some form of lower arm movement every workout the daily high volume of band finger extensions seems to nicely counter that. I found the same to be true of rear delts when I was benching and overhead pressing a lot before... the high volume (100s) of face pulls, rear delt flys, and band pull aparts kept my shoulders super healthy and happy. 

Those 700 total reps were performed without holds for sets of 50 reps per hand... although I do sometimes use sets of 25 reps. Typically, I evenly divided it between the two bands... 350 reps each hand with the blue band and then another 350 reps per hand with the red. I also perform anywhere from 50 to 100 reps with the weaker yellow band as a warm-up before I used the blue/red bands.

For two to three-count holds I usually drop down to 20 to 25 reps per set. Five-count holds the sets are usually down to 10 to 15 reps.  And for 10-count holds I usually perform singles up to a maximum of 5 reps per set.

Thanks for the detailed answer. I actually thought it meant 700 reps per hand with each band what is a lot. I find its only when i do around anythng over around 500 per hand i get a tiny bit of inflamation. I like to do sets of 50 myself but ive recently been doing more extensor work using the Im wrist rolller so ive cut right back with the bands. My blues are have a hole in them now and will snap soon im sure but ive had them 10 years. My reds are still good.

I totally agree on the rear delts. Ive always done plenty rear delt work and luckily never had any real shoulder problems.

You seem like a man on a mission with regards to building up your forearms. Im sure with muscle memory they will come back to what they were and some. Im trying to get mine as well. Keep up the good work man.

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Thanks for the detailed answer.

I actually thought it meant 700 reps per hand with each band what is a lot.

My blues are have a hole in them now and will snap soon im sure but ive had them 10 years. My reds are still good.

You seem like a man on a mission with regards to building up your forearms. Im sure with muscle memory they will come back to what they were and some. Im trying to get mine as well. Keep up the good work man.

You are welcome.

Apologies for not being more clear there in logging.

Yeah, have had a large number of breakages with the IM Bands due to both holes forming and/or splitting seams. 

Thank you! Sure am... after 14 months my forearms have grown over 2 ½ inches... now nearing 12 ¼". Will be interesting to see how big I can grow them.

Edited by Ricochet

13 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

You are welcome.

Apologies for not being more clear there in logging.

Yeah, have had a large number of breakages with the IM Bands due to both holes forming and/or splitting seams. 

Thank you! Sure am... after 14 months my forearms have grown over 2 ½ inches... now nearing 12 ¼". Will be interesting to see how big I can grow them.

No apologies needed. It would of been my tiredness not reading it properly. 

Ive been lucky with my Im Bands. Ive only had 2 sets and this set now i bought in 2009 and the greens and reds are still great but my yellows and blues near breaking point but ive used them on and off over the years so not constant use. 

Whoa thats a lot of growth in a relatively short period of time, good stuff. Im always wanting bigger forearms as i have tiny 6.5 inch wrists, I want to put an inch on my forearms so that they are 13inch so double my wrist size.

What would you say is the best exercise for forearms growth would you say? 

13 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Whoa thats a lot of growth in a relatively short period of time, good stuff. Im always wanting bigger forearms as i have tiny 6.5 inch wrists, I want to put an inch on my forearms so that they are 13inch so double my wrist size.

What would you say is the best exercise for forearms growth would you say? 

Like you mentioned before I am bouncing back fast due to muscle memory as in late 2008 they were measuring at 13¾".

Small wrists as well. On 21 AUGUST 2018 my forearms were all the way down to 9¾" due to neglect and my wrists were 6¼". My wrists are now 7" so there is hope .😉

Thus far I am finding the best for me to be: wrist rolling (cable or supported wrist roller); rope-handle hammer curls; fat-grip rolling-handle cable wrist curls; and thick-bar lifts.

Edited by Ricochet

13 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

Like you mentioned before I am bouncing back fast due to muscle memory as in late 2008 they were measuring at 13¾".

Small wrists as well. On 21 AUGUST 2018 my forearms were all the way down to 9¾" due to neglect and my wrists were 6¼". My wrists are now 7" so there is hope .😉

Thus far I am finding the best for me to be: wrist rolling (cable or supported wrist roller); rope-handle hammer curls; fat-grip rolling-handle cable wrist curls; and thick-bar 

Thats awesome how your wrists have increased as well. My wrists have been bigger 1/4 bigger but i was 3 stone or 42lbs heavier so it was fat. 

Thick bar works well for me for growth as well. I love 2inch thick bar weighted chinups and now back into doing rolling thunder deadlifts. Ive just started back into my IM wrist roller and my forearms are growing. I find weighted towel chinups the best overall for growth as they seem to hit everything well, hands, forearm flexors, extensors and really grow my brachioradialis. As well as lats and back of course.

• Like 1

Towel pull-ups and cable towel pulldowns will be back in my program next month (I need to be ultra careful with these as they have a tendency to flare up my elbows), as well as fat bars again... flexed wrist deadlifting with a 2" axle bar and 3" thick bar.

WEDNESDAY, 6 NOV 2019 (BFR)
PLATE CURL:
3 x 8-10 L&R @ 10 KG
PLATE W. CURL: 3 x 8-10 L&R @ 6.25 KG
BELT FOREARM PRONATION: 3 x 50 L&R @ 15 KG
SAUNA: 12-MIN @ 96°C
BAND FINGER EXTENSION: 400 L&R @ IM BLUE/RED

My lighter loaded warm-ups for Belt Forearm Pronation always includes 50 to 100 reps each of pronation, supination, and radial deviation. Blood Flow Restriction "BFR" Wraps used on Belt Forearm Pronation.

Edited by Ricochet
Added: Blood Flow Restriction "BFR" Wraps information

THURSDAY, 7 NOV 2019
BB LOADED-BAND W. ROLLER:
3-MIN NON-STOP ↑↓ @ 50 KG
CABLE ROPE ULNAR DEVIATION PULL: 3 x 15 L&R @ 45#
CABLE ROPE RADIAL DEVIATION PULL: 3 x 15 L&R @ 45#
BB DECLINE BENCH PRESS: PAUSE; 3 x 6-8 @ 107.5 KG
SAUNA: 12-MIN @ 87°C
BAND FINGER EXTENSION: 2-COUNT; 350 L&R @ IM RED

FRIDAY, 8 NOV 2019
DB FAT-GRIP ZOTTMAN CURL:
3 x 12-15 @ 20>25#
H-GRIPPER: CoC#2 CLOSE; 5 L&R
H-GRIPPER: GEN300 CHOKED 20>10mm; ~20 L&R
CBL ROPE ISO-PAUSED HAMMER CURL: 5 x 5 @ 80>90#
SAUNA: 13min @ 91°C
BAND FINGER EXTENSION: 400 L&R @ IM BLUE

Hi , I've been following your Log and ref the working the extensor muscles to a high volume ( to reduce/combat muscular imbalance leading to Tendinitis ) what other options have you tried? I'm kinda new to this forum and most feats of strength / training seem geared towards ( kinda understandably ) concentric gripping movement. 

I'm just wondering if you've tried over loading the Extensor muscles in a heavy weight static hold exercise? 

Beyond the bands and I think the IM outer limits what else can be used?

2 hours ago, Snaplight said:

I'm just wondering if you've tried over loading the Extensor muscles in a heavy weight static hold exercise? 

Beyond the bands and I think the IM outer limits what else can be used?

Yes, I do. Besides the finger band work I usually perform:

• wall hand/finger push-ups (high reps with maximum tension; these can be quite brutal)
  • tiger-bend; tiger; and sphinx push-ups
  • fingertip push-ups and alternating arm/hand finger push-up raises
  • very-wide pinch grip dumbbell lifts (picking up the end/head of a dumbbell with your fingertips with a wide outspread hand)
  • short-bar/ez-bar reverse wrist curls (for long max tension holds)
  • dumbbell reverse wrist curls (with iso-pause holds)
  • short-bar/ez-bar texas arm wrestler's reverse curls (with iso-pause holds)
  • reverse (aka extension) wrist roller (also excellent at attacking the tops of your forearms)

For overall forearm recovery, mobility, and countering strength imbalances I really do believe you can't beat high-rep deviation (radial/ulnar) and rotation (pronation/supination) work and thus why it is a staple in my training.

• Like 1

SATURDAY, 9 NOV 2019
CBL ROLLING FAT-GRIP W-CURL PULL:
5 x 6-8 @ 200#
DB HAMMER FLEXED W-ISO HOLD: 5 x 5-10s @ 45#
DB 180° FOREARM ROTATION: 5 x 6-8 @ 40>45#
SAUNA: 14min @ 86°C
BAND FINGER EXTENSION: 600 L&R @ IM BLUE/RED

SUNDAY, 10 NOV 2019
CBL W-ROLLER: NO ECCENTRIC EXTENSION; 8 ↑ @ 160#
HS PAUSED INCLINE PRESS: 5 x 8 L&R @ 60>70kg
PLATE W-CURL: 6 x 6-8 L&R @ 6.25>7.5kg
SAUNA: 12min @ 101°C
TRADITIONAL THAI HARD MASSAGE: ONE-HOUR
BAND FINGER EXTENSION: 200 L&R @ IM RED

MONDAY, 11 NOV 2019
PLATE CURL:
5 x 6-8 L&R @ 10kg
H-GRIPPER: CoC#2 PARALLEL SET NO CLOSE; 10 x 5 L&R
EZ (EZ-BAR) THUMBLESS TEXAS REVERSE CURL: 5 x 3-5 @ 32kg
SB (SHORT-BAR) SPIDER CURL: 5 x 3-5 @ 38kg 
SAUNA: 16min @ 98°C
BAND FINGER EXTENSION: 300 L&R @ IM BLUE

• Like 1

Your work capacity and recovery are insane. I wish i could do as much volume so often. Do you ever take days off? 

• Like 1

Your work capacity and recovery are insane. I wish i could do as much volume so often. Do you ever take days off? 

Rarely... I respond well to high-frequency training.

Just as long I watch the overall workout loading and volume and keep the number of movements per workout to a minimum. I incorporate "Active Recovery" often in my training but rarely do I ever take "Days Off". This year I have only taken four (4) days off in total. I have absolutely no stress in my life so am extremely happy and healthy; sleep six to seven hours a night; nap whenever and often; and eat extremely well.

With that said it is important to know that I did slowly work up to this over a period of four or so months and I won't lie my forearms and hands ached something awful during that period... a many tough night battling muscle cramps, burning tendons, and aching bones.

I am fortunately well adapted to this type of training and programming due my background and previous career which was very intense and high frequency to say the least.

BTW: The sauna helps a lot with recovery!!!

Edited by Ricochet
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

Rarely... I respond well to high-frequency training.

Just as long I watch the overall workout loading and volume and keep the number of movements per workout to a minimum. I incorporate "Active Recovery" often in my training but rarely do I ever take "Days Off". This year I have only taken four (4) days off in total. I have absolutely no stress in my life so am extremely happy and healthy; sleep six to seven hours a night; nap whenever and often; and eat extremely well.

With that said it is important to know that I did slowly work up to this over a period of four or so months and I won't lie my forearms and hands ached something awful during that period... a many tough night battling muscle cramps, burning tendons, and aching bones.

I am fortunately well adapted to this type of training and programming due my background and previous career which was very intense and high frequency to say the least.

BTW: The sauna helps a lot with recovery!!!

Thanks for the detailed answer. Its amazing how our bodies can adapt to nearly anything you put it through. I find the way you train and all the different exercises interesting.

Im gradually increasing frequency on my grip training but i need to keep volume low for now until my hand and forearms apapt. I need to be careful with winter coming though as i have a condition called Raynauds that affects blood flow to my fingers. They go white and can go numb and painful so i need to take care warming up when winter here(in northern england)

I can imagine having access to a sauna all the time will help with recovery.

When in the gym I sometimes get funny looks off others when doing towel chinups for example. Do you ever get any comments or anything from people in the gym about the way you train? 

• Like 1

When in the gym I sometimes get funny looks off others when doing towel chinups for example. Do you ever get any comments or anything from people in the gym about the way you train?

No, not really they are all pretty used to my craziness now!  The older crowd remembers when I was powerlifting at 105 KG and also know what I did for work so everyone pretty much leaves me alone and to my own devices.

Edited by Ricochet
  • Like 1

TUESDAY, 12 NOV 2019
CBL FAT-GRIP ROLLING-HDL W-CURL:
6 x 10 @ >220#
CBL FAT-GRIP ROLLING-HDL W-CURL: 50+ @ 120#
HIGH BAR FAT-GRIP FLEXED ARM HANG: 5 x 30-60s
BELT FOREARM PRONATION: 3 x 10 L&R @ 30kg
BELT FOREARM PRONATION: 3 x 25 L&R @ 25kg
SAUNA: 12min @ 99°C
BAND FINGER EXTENSION: 300 L&R @ IM RED

For Cable Fat-Grip Rolling Handle Wrist Curls I always perform them thumbless but in a variety of ways...  standing or seated; low or high-pulley, straight-arm or bent arm; statically or dynamically (pulling or rowing). 

For Belt Forearm Pronation my warm-ups consisted of lighter loaded pronation, supination, and deviation for 50-100 reps each.