Lifting the Inch (those that have) - How did you train or what you recommend?

Bill Piche

On 10/24/2019 at 2:13 PM, Jedd Johnson said:

If anyone would like a product that does a complete exploration of the topic, then check out How to Lift the Inch:  http://thegripauthority.com/how-to-lift-the-inch-dumbbell.htm

Training with the Inch is definitely the best way to be get strong enough to lift one, especially if you're already close.  There's lots of reasons why rolling handles that attach to loading pins fall short, so they shouldn't be what you build your training around, unless it's literally all you have to work with.

I think the best way to train for it is with a plate loadable (assuming you lift it level, and do not brace the plates on your forearm, which I see a lot of) .  A home-made plate loadable db is what I used for a year or so - and then was able to lift the Inch, within a couple months of buying one.

This. ^^^

I stink at thickbar.  I mean really bad.  I would have never lifted the Inch without Jedd's coaching and resources.  You can go through trial and error for years like I did (never getting more than a hop), or work with Jedd and lift it in a couple months (like I also did at the end).  

On 10/14/2019 at 4:55 AM, Joseph Sullivan said:

Then I guess my input is invalid because it didn’t take me long to lift it? As with all things you  want it achieve in training....  the  whole point is specificity, and to use the tools that as closely mimic the action and feel of the inch. Wrist wrench is tops on loading pin devices, thick handled dumbbells with the plates ratcheted so they don’t spin of the same diameter as the inch are the top pick for specificity. The crusher is good, but the action is quite different. It’s similar and a good tool if you have no other option, but nothing  can top the wrist wrenches action and dumbbell for full range movement that mimics the globe bells that have non rotating plates as far as duplicating an inch lift. 

I think what he meant some people can lift the inch on their first attempt and don't know what grip training is. I know quit few. Of course I take the advice of the person who trained for it. Not some lucky guys with big hands. But then again, all advice are welcome. You trained for it and achieved it faster than most people. But people don't release you have a very good base strength like a very strong powerlifter back in your days. And you deadlifted over 300KG without straps yes? This helps a lot.

On 10/14/2019 at 5:35 AM, AdamTGlass said:

Yes to the above. 

Bill the key will be persistent attempts. Unfortunately there’s no X lb on X rolling handle that = an inch lift. There’s no X row or dl that will translate. What will work is negative lifts / assisted lifts frequently and good wrist/thumb/finger training as you are familiar. I’m chasing a very heavy challenge bell and assisted lifts are my primary method to bridge the gap. 

I noticed what worked for me in the past will not work now (or simply you are not training it the way you used too). But your advice is on the spot for me now. I totally agree. I had the Inch few inches of the ground back in March with Laine Snook there. Video on my youtube. But then for many reasons like work I couldn't train a lot. Once a month? I got way weaker, didn't do well in KK this year despite getting the 2nd overall at our venue. I couldn't budge the Inch at my place with Laine Snook and Lucas Raymond there too. So last week I trained twice. First day I trained with the Inches I had. Did many many negatives and assisted lifts with the 87 KG Millennium trainer after few singles on the FBBC 150 Inch. The second day I trained blobs and was good. Extra good. I also attempted the 150 inch bells after my blobs which I just got air because I was done for by that time. So yesterday I attempted the Inch again and this happened. Quit happy with many month of almost no training. Let's say I continue this for two to three month? I know I would lift the inch. 

On 10/14/2019 at 1:25 PM, Wannagrip said:

What I have learned over 40 years is listen to ALL input. Always keep an open mind.  You will miss gems otherwise on both sides of that coin. :)

I totally agree!

• Like 3