Lifting the Inch (those that have) - How did you train or what you recommend?

Bill Piche

As I stated, it is a feat that escaped me. For those that have been able to lift it, how did you train to do it? What do you recommend?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

As I stated, it is a feat that escaped me. For those that have been able to lift it, how did you train to do it? What do you recommend?

One of the best ways is to put a finger on the globe to stop the initial rotation with as little force as possible to lift it. Perfonr many reps that way, or if it is too heavy for one to manage that way, lift with 2 hands and let go with one and hold for as long as you can and slowly lower. Also, adding resistance bands on a rack looped Under the bell can help many, just decrease the resistance as you get stronger. Another way is using a loadable dumbbell handle and do one arm deadlifts and rows with as much weight as you can as close to or beyond the actual inch weight. This will condition your hand to get used to the diameter and the weight and the real inch will eventually be in your reach. The key is to train for specificity. As close to the conditions of th feat you are attempting.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

One of the best ways is to put a finger on the globe to stop the initial rotation with as little force as possible to lift it. Perfonr many reps that way, or if it is too heavy for one to manage that way, lift with 2 hands and let go with one and hold for as long as you can and slowly lower. Also, adding resistance bands on a rack looped Under the bell can help many, just decrease the resistance as you get stronger. Another way is using a loadable dumbbell handle and do one arm deadlifts and rows with as much weight as you can as close to or beyond the actual inch weight. This will condition your hand to get used to the diameter and the weight and the real inch will eventually be in your reach. The key is to train for specificity. As close to the conditions of th feat you are attempting.

Do you believe specialization is needed for sure?  For the majority of people?  I for sure would have needed to specialize.

I still believe the best way to train for the Inch is to train high reps and timed holds with a 2.5" Crusher.  Gradually increase the weight in small increments, and once you're doing 150 - 160 for reps, the Inch will come off the ground.

3 hours ago, Hopefully said:

I recall you made a similar thread 10 years ago or more 😛

Probably during the time I was trying to lift it. I forgot though. Getting old! LOL!  Probably the reason I failed too. 😁

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

Do you believe specialization is needed for sure?  For the majority of people?  I for sure would have needed to specialize.

For those that cant lift it easily in a short period of time with regular training, I would say, yes , I would say specificity is the key. I would also say that for loading pin devices, wrist wrench is a much closer action and feel to an inch over any rolling handle any day of the week. Lift 100 or  more on the WW and you will be at or close to an inch lift. 

13 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

For those that cant lift it easily in a short period of time with regular training, I would say, yes , I would say specificity is the key. I would also say that for loading pin devices, wrist wrench is a much closer action and feel to an inch over any rolling handle any day of the week. Lift 100 or  more on the WW and you will be at or close to an inch lift. 

I would almost say don't listen to the guys who lifted it easily, listen to the guys who trained forever making mjjure progress and finally got it. Most people are going to be in the latter category. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

I would almost say don't listen to the guys who lifted it easily, listen to the guys who trained forever making mjjure progress and finally got it. Most people are going to be in the latter category. 

Then I guess my input is invalid because it didn’t take me long to lift it? As with all things you  want it achieve in training....  the  whole point is specificity, and to use the tools that as closely mimic the action and feel of the inch. Wrist wrench is tops on loading pin devices, thick handled dumbbells with the plates ratcheted so they don’t spin of the same diameter as the inch are the top pick for specificity. The crusher is good, but the action is quite different. It’s similar and a good tool if you have no other option, but nothing  can top the wrist wrenches action and dumbbell for full range movement that mimics the globe bells that have non rotating plates as far as duplicating an inch lift. 

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

Yes to the above. 

Bill the key will be persistent attempts. Unfortunately there’s no X lb on X rolling handle that = an inch lift. There’s no X row or dl that will translate. What will work is negative lifts / assisted lifts frequently and good wrist/thumb/finger training as you are familiar. I’m chasing a very heavy challenge bell and assisted lifts are my primary method to bridge the gap. 

• Like 8

A few years back, I encouraged Bob Sundin to write an article for MILO on how he conquered the Inch. The timing was not right for him, and MILO is now defunct. 

I would be willing to pay money to read a small book, pamphlet or decent article if he would do it, and quite frankly, most of the people interested in lifting the Inch should be as well.

Bob is not a big guy, does not have big hands, and is on the back side of Middle Age. He approached the feat with dedication and patience, and eventually made his goal. As far as I am concerned, I would look to him for advice before any of the monster Inch Lifters, as most of them have none of the strikes against them that Bob in theory has.

edit: Adam, you made your post as I was typing mine. Didn’t mean to discount your good advice.

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

Probably during the time I was trying to lift it. I forgot though. Getting old! LOL!  Probably the reason I failed too. 😁

Your use of past tense  bothers me Bill - have you given up on achieving this feat?

You're still breathing and so long as you keep doing that why throw the towel in?  A number of very determined posters have finally managed to achieve the feat over the years. Some have even taken a break for extended periods before resuming battle.

If they got there then one day so will I -  and I reckon you could as well.  You just need to get quite obsessed !!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Then I guess my input is invalid because it didn’t take me long to lift it? As with all things you  want it achieve in training....  the  whole point is specificity, and to use the tools that as closely mimic the action and feel of the inch. Wrist wrench is tops on loading pin devices, thick handled dumbbells with the plates ratcheted so they don’t spin of the same diameter as the inch are the top pick for specificity. The crusher is good, but the action is quite different. It’s similar and a good tool if you have no other option, but nothing  can top the wrist wrenches action and dumbbell for full range movement that mimics the globe bells that have non rotating plates as far as duplicating an inch lift. 

Haha no don't take that as me saying your information is bad. Just that it's easier to compare yourself to people like yourself, you have done a lot of feats way faster than the average grip guy and it's probably not realistic for others to expect that type of fast progress. Totally agree on all your progressive steps tho, whether that makes one an inch lifter or not its still going to get you a huge improvement in thick bar strength. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gripmaniac said:

Your use of past tense  bothers me Bill - have you given up on achieving this feat?

You're still breathing and so long as you keep doing that why throw the towel in?  A number of very determined posters have finally managed to achieve the feat over the years. Some have even taken a break for extended periods before resuming battle.

If they got there then one day so will I -  and I reckon you could as well.  You just need to get quite obsessed !!!!

I have given up. I had purchased an inch and sold it a few years ago.  Mainly, I also transitioned to training for health and longevity as a goal.  Yeah, ended up being a wussy out a bit too on it. :)

8 hours ago, Climber028 said:

What I have learned over 40 years is listen to ALL input. Always keep an open mind.  You will miss gems otherwise on both sides of that coin. :)

• Like 1

That sucker had an extra annoyance in lifting it in two ways. The rolling effect and the sheer weight of it.  You cannot be a punk even to lift it with one hand body strength wise. 

23 hours ago, IROC-Z said:

I still believe the best way to train for the Inch is to train high reps and timed holds with a 2.5" Crusher.  Gradually increase the weight in small increments, and once you're doing 150 - 160 for reps, the Inch will come off the ground.

I don’t know how true that is cause I can pull 175 on the 2.5” crusher and I can rep out 160 like there’s no tomorrow. But the inch is only coming off the ground a few inches. 

9 minutes ago, Porkchopdiesel said:

I don’t know how true that is cause I can pull 175 on the 2.5” crusher and I can rep out 160 like there’s no tomorrow. But the inch is only coming off the ground a few inches. 

I think that’s what @IROC-Z meant... it will come off the ground but maybe only a few inches. f you can break air with it, it won’t be long until one makes it! 

31 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I think that’s what @IROC-Z meant... it will come off the ground but maybe only a few inches. f you can break air with it, it won’t be long until one makes it! 

Correct, that is exactly what I meant.  At that point, it's just a matter of time before a full lift happens.

• Like 1

I can't really say anything about lifting the Inch, since I never saw one in my life, and it will be a long time before I do, but I can say that the Wrist wrench gave me the most gains for every single thick bar lift, since it made my thumb and wrist A LOT stronger. The main problem is that I developed golfer's elbow from it...

11 minutes ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

I can't really say anything about lifting the Inch, since I never saw one in my life, and it will be a long time before I do, but I can say that the Wrist wrench gave me the most gains for every single thick bar lift, since it made my thumb and wrist A LOT stronger. The main problem is that I developed golfer's elbow from it...

I totally agree on the WW as being the best loading pin thick bar devices for thick bar and wrist strength . As far as your tendinitis, Funny as it may seem, roll out your triceps. Give it a try and see what happens. 

Edited by Guest

17 hours ago, AdamTGlass said:

Yes to the above. 

Bill the key will be persistent attempts. Unfortunately there’s no X lb on X rolling handle that = an inch lift. There’s no X row or dl that will translate. What will work is negative lifts / assisted lifts frequently and good wrist/thumb/finger training as you are familiar. I’m chasing a very heavy challenge bell and assisted lifts are my primary method to bridge the gap. 

I haven't lifted my Inch db yet but I very much agree with this.

I feel this type of training has good carry-over to other thick bar lifts as well. I tried assisted lifts with the Inch for 2-3 weeks and my rolling thunder flew up with around 5 kg's.

7 hours ago, Porkchopdiesel said:

have you tried using a shorter loading pin yet?

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone would like a product that does a complete exploration of the topic, then check out How to Lift the Inch:  http://thegripauthority.com/how-to-lift-the-inch-dumbbell.htm

Training with the Inch is definitely the best way to be get strong enough to lift one, especially if you're already close.  There's lots of reasons why rolling handles that attach to loading pins fall short, so they shouldn't be what you build your training around, unless it's literally all you have to work with.

I think the best way to train for it is with a plate loadable (assuming you lift it level, and do not brace the plates on your forearm, which I see a lot of) .  A home-made plate loadable db is what I used for a year or so - and then was able to lift the Inch, within a couple months of buying one.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Great topic & info guys!  

this is also one of my lifetime grip goals as well..  bought a Inch DB a few months ago but no lift yet.  Got some decent air.. but still a ways to go.  
Dealing with a couple of injuries at the moment but ready to get back at it soon!  
good luck guys & train hard!  

cheers! 😎👊🏻

• Like 2