Swedish Grip Open 2019

Lennix

Swedish grip Open!

So it was finally time for a competition, spent the night in Örebro at Clarion Hotel and stuffed my face with pancakes for breakfast. Weighed in at 119.4 and clearly the lightest in my class(105+)

Event 1 - Apollons deadlift
Brand new IM bar that differs very much from the one in my gym. No knurling and very slippery, however, what bothers the most is that the magnesium david provide feels like baby powdee in my hands and I hesitate even using it for a moment. Pulls a few lifts and everything feels okay. 130 fly up, 150 also fly up. But then everything goes wrong, I fail at 160. The combination of wrong technique with the thumb and that that I try to lift it very very fast as I do with my home axle, not setting up my hands correct. I make some attempts but have no power. Crap fifth in that event. Next time - blow your hands to moisture the magnesium for better grip. Be calm and methodical get your hand around the bar properly and not just go down and jerk like today. Winner with a new swedish record of 181kg - Kalle Lane 12 time national champion 

Event 2 - Pinch
I immediately feel that this handle fits me well, has started blowing on my hands to get a better grip with the magnesium which gives a good answer. However, I am the only one who rubs magnesium into the block which surprises me, it attaches well and the lift goes easy. Kalle Lane and I remain in the competition and lift the same weight. He goes up to about 41kg and misses with the left but takes it with the right. I boom pretty hard at that weight, so I become 2. Next time - lift with the offhand until its done  and then go strong hand at max. Skip more lifts. 

Event 3 - Silver Bullet
I am therefore favorably tipped in advance and am drawn to lift last (same as in previous events). So the best time when it is my turn is 16 seconds, my PB is 39. However, I worry that the official SB might differ from my replica and since its 1 try only I'm extremely careful with the setting not to screw it up, lost some seconds there but since I know I will win if I just do a normal attempt I think it's worth it. The clock starts, 10 - 15 - 20 - 30 - 33. So have twice as much time as No. 2 in my weight class and win. In the -105 they had 2 really strong guys who did 32 and 31 seconds. I lived up the the expectation and finish first. Super happy with that. 

Event 4 - Medley
There are 25 different implements to lift, ranging from light blobs to heavy 25kgs. Plate pinch, rolling handle from crusher to 80 or 90mm. Meathooks, dinnie ring with light stone, europinch and much more. I identify my strategy quite fast, everything seems easy except for 4 items. 2x20kg pinch, blob50, 25kg blob and golden bar replica. I know with me that I have managed 20x2 pinch on several occasions and that only 1 guy so far managed to get it up. I started with that to earn a point few others get but I miss with a few cm to bring it up on the platform. Tries the blob50 but no luck there either. Throw up everything else. The heaviest Rolling thunder I miss with the right and get up on the left, think it's around 70kg only but it's my weakness. Meathooks were easy, europinch were easy. Getting problems with a wrist developer because I do not know how to do, however, get tips from a guy who roars further out on the handle and have it. The Dinnie ring replica also goes up pain-free. Tries again on pinch and blob 50 but is over. 22/25. Think I came split 3 here or something.

3rd place in my first competition and had I not been so inexperienced the silver would have been mine. Super happy with it. The competition was brilliantly arranged, thanks David! 

The community was also fantastic, good advices and everyone cheered for everyone. This is definitely not my last grip competition. 

Edited by Lennix
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Great first comp! I saw that your training axle had knurling and was wondering how the IM axle would feel to you. Decent result regardless.

Thanks! I have 2 Axles in training one with knurling and one with out. The one without is the one i pulled 200kg with but it stands on tires and even if I stood on plates to get the right height I think the small help at the bottom helps a ton. And the surface was alot slippery on the IM bar. But with what I learned during the comp, moisture the chalk with breath, that I cant just lift it with speed without setup and even to warm up properly etc I would have done 165-170. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 10/6/2019 at 11:19 PM, Lennix said:

Thanks! I have 2 Axles in training one with knurling and one with out. The one without is the one i pulled 200kg with but it stands on tires and even if I stood on plates to get the right height I think the small help at the bottom helps a ton. And the surface was alot slippery on the IM bar. But with what I learned during the comp, moisture the chalk with breath, that I cant just lift it with speed without setup and even to warm up properly etc I would have done 165-170. 

Pretty sure slipperyness of the bar they used was not the main problem. I saw your set up on instagram and there are three factors that each make your training lifts easier (and combined would make the lift much easier): (1) the bar is not lifted off the floor (as you point out yourself); you don't use full-size plates to the fullest (this will decrease the rotational force); (3) the plates are not TIGHTLY secured by quality collars (or any collars for that matter). To me the difference would be more than 10%. People attending the LGC competition for the first time are always blow away by how much heavier the axle feels compared to their own set up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Pretty sure slipperyness of the bar they used was not the main problem. I saw your set up on instagram and there are three factors that each make your training lifts easier (and combined would make the lift much easier): (1) the bar is not lifted off the floor (as you point out yourself); you don't use full-size plates to the fullest (this will decrease the rotational force); (3) the plates are not TIGHTLY secured by quality collars (or any collars for that matter). To me the difference would be more than 10%. People attending the LGC competition for the first time are always blow away by how much heavier the axle feels compared to their own set up.

Hello Mikael! Thanks for the follow on Instagram and the pointers here. You are completely right with everything in your post. I actually changed all of these maby 4 weeks ago. Fullsize steelplates and spinlock collars lifting from the floor. Got my PR from 188 to 168 :D

New setup: 

Old setup: 

Also! Can't wait to compete at LGC when it's hosted again. 

Edited by Lennix
  • Like 1

Don't forget to tighten the collars as much as you can because we do. That also will make the lift even harder. Good lift anyway. Hopefully we can run a competition in June/July next year.

• Like 1

The events will probably be the same as last time; Grippers 20 mm block set, Euro 2HP, Axle and bending reverse style (just the kink). I want to be in the top 3 in my weight class (83) in the axle (after Kody and Tanner) so I would need 157k or thereabout (151k right now). 

I actually had a discussion with quite a few here who claimed that the LGC axle set up does not make the lift harder compared to eg your kind of set up. I knew they never actually tried both back to back because the difference is pretty huge. 

1 hour ago, Mikael Siversson said:

The events will probably be the same as last time; Grippers 20 mm block set, Euro 2HP, Axle and bending reverse style (just the kink). I want to be in the top 3 in my weight class (83) in the axle (after Kody and Tanner) so I would need 157k or thereabout (151k right now). 

I actually had a discussion with quite a few here who claimed that the LGC axle set up does not make the lift harder compared to eg your kind of set up. I knew they never actually tried both back to back because the difference is pretty huge. 

Need to get that euro training in then. And the reverse bending which I never tried before. 

Tanner is in the 93 class now I think. 

Difference in setup feels huge, as shown in my previous post. Definitely 10% atleast with spinnlock collars. Yea I try to be consistent now with max spinnlock and using the same weights. Just because I've noticed the "easy" setup lifts doesn't really give good training. Stopping the rotation is the main problem with axle and if it doesn't spin you won't get better. 

Edited by Lennix

Tanner has been 93 for a while now - might even be the next one up, but def not 83 anymore.  Kody I don't know.

• Like 1

I know, I am referring to the all-time-top 25 lists on Grip Org. Both Kody and Tanner have competed in the 83k class so I am comparing me (at 83k) to what they did in that weight class. Bodyweight matters a lot when you are lean. I went up from a very lean 74k to 83k (half the gain was muscle and half was fat). I got a lot stronger and I am still gaining.

Only three Swedes in the top 25 lists in the axle; Kalle Lane (15th in the +120k, Oscar 17th in the -93k and me 2nd in the 74k class). The competition is still pretty thin in the 74k class though which is clearly shown by what it takes to just make the top 25 list in the 74k vs the 83k classes. Any lift would get you in the top 25 in the 74k class😄. This is one of the reasons I moved up to the 83k class which is a lot more competitive. We need more climbers in our sport but then again they tend to struggle with any type of deadlift and end up moving up to higher weight classes in order to cope with axle deadlifts.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

21 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Only three Swedes in the top 25 lists in the axle; Kalle Lane (15th in the +120k, Oscar 17th in the -93k and me 2nd in the 74k class). The competition is still pretty thin in the 74k class though which is clearly shown by what it takes to just make the top 25 list in the 74k vs the 83k classes. Any lift would get you in the top 25 in the 74k class😄. This is one of the reasons I moved up to the 83k class which is a lot more competitive. We need more climbers in our sport but then again they tend to struggle with any type of deadlift and end up moving up to higher weight classes in order to cope with axle deadlifts.

Where do you see those stats? 

Maybe the competition was not properly sanctioned or the results never passed on to Aaron?

8 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Maybe the competition was not properly sanctioned or the results never passed on to Aaron?

Probably not sanctioned and the bar was homemade stainless steel so not official conditions hopefully he will compete on more competitions. He did very good results in almost every event. 

Just like me then as I am awesomely strong in everything (I wished)😄  Btw I will attempt to pinch 4 x10k Eleiko plates tomorrow and upload it on instagram (if I succeed that is). Have not tried that for years.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

4 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Just like me then as I am awesomely strong in everything (I wished)😄  Btw I will attempt to pinch 4 x10k Eleiko plates tomorrow and upload it on instagram (if I succeed that is). Have not tried that for years.

Good luck! I need to play more with eleiko plates to manage that. Only tried 2x on Borås atletklubb but I cant chalk up properly ^^ 

16 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Six years since the last time. Time flies.

Interesting technique! 

On 7/28/2020 at 12:44 AM, Lennix said:

Probably not sanctioned and the bar was homemade stainless steel so not official conditions hopefully he will compete on more competitions. He did very good results in almost every event. 

He needs to get quite a bit stronger in the pinch if he wants to be competitive in true allround grip competitions such as the LGC. In the LGC competition it is common to see people doing great in everything except in the pinch where they produce quite mediocre results.

• Like 1

I wonder why most grip comps in Sweden (does not apply to the LGC competitions) don't have any wrist events.

39 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

I wonder why most grip comps in Sweden (does not apply to the LGC competitions) don't have any wrist events.

SGO had sledge lift to podium 2x and wrist developer in the medley. 

Regarding Ossians pinch, I have no clue how good his pinch is. That stainless steel ingot on greppsm was wierd. I got next to last because it was sliding in my hand but controlled it to the floor and then failed the second attempt. It was a very niche technique so those who figured it out lifted alot and those who didn't failed fast. It was almost like a double keypinch where you use max wrist to lift. 

We don't have any weird events in the LGC competitions.😄

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

We don't have any weird events in the LGC competitions.😄

I've said it before. You should consider using the Wrist Developer in your contest. It's far less weird than reverse bending steel bars. Which is way more complicated.

The reverse bending is a more fun imo. Btw we had wrist developer in 2012 Western Australian grip championship.

Bending steel is an old classic and not weird.😄