Odd Grip Strength

Luke Whippo

Those are fun.  I used to train them for a strong man show I was preparing to do for some kids.  How much weight ya got there?

Hi Eric,

That is 135lb, this is something I do once every few months for a chiro adjustment :) and to keep up my neck strength. I've done more for less ROM, but I'm working back up for this greater ROM. 

I used a timer on the phone, I had to hold it for a few seconds because I didn't know if the photo snapped or not?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Luke Whippo said:

Hi Eric,

That is 135lb, this is something I do once every few months for a chiro adjustment :) and to keep up my neck strength. I've done more for less ROM, but I'm working back up for this greater ROM. 

I used a timer on the phone, I had to hold it for a few seconds because I didn't know if the photo snapped or not?

135 is a lot of weight!

I got the idea from a picture I saw of Don Reinhoudt doing it lifting a person. For my show I held my twelve year old son with my teeth as he sat on what looked like a playground swing as I did a pull-up. 

Edited by EricMilfeld

7 hours ago, Shoggoth said:

6A07F12B-66E2-4F75-B1EF-C2C842804328.jpeg

Is that safe?

Not sure I’d have enough faith in the guy holding the rope!

Pretty spectacular feat though!

3 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

Is that safe?

Not sure I’d have enough faith in the guy holding the rope!

Pretty spectacular feat though!

Old timey guys really knew how to up the danger. This was probably safer than his job though. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

135 is a lot of weight!

I got the idea from a picture I saw of Don Reinhoudt doing it lifting a person. For my show I held my twelve year old son with my teeth as he sat on what looked like a playground swing as I did a pull-up. 

Nice, I've never teeth-lifted a person before, I pulled an S-10 and lifted a few other objects.

I was at the 2006 AOBS and Don gave a seminar. I had already been teeth-lifting and I asked him what he used as a mouthpiece (the teeth lift was displayed on his pamphlet), he said a dentist made a mold of his teeth and he got a custom mouthpiece. My thought was, "no way I'm telling my dentist I'm doing this" and that was that :) 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Luke Whippo said:

Nice, I've never teeth-lifted a person before, I pulled an S-10 and lifted a few other objects.

I was at the 2006 AOBS and Don gave a seminar. I had already been teeth-lifting and I asked him what he used as a mouthpiece (the teeth lift was displayed on his pamphlet), he said a dentist made a mold of his teeth and he got a custom mouthpiece. My thought was, "no way I'm telling my dentist I'm doing this" and that was that :) 

Wow, very cool story!

So is the mouthpiece molded with a ring at the front to slide the strap through?

17 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

Wow, very cool story!

So is the mouthpiece molded with a ring at the front to slide the strap through?

I really don't recall Eric, I believe that would be correct though. He teeth-lifted more than I've dead lifted, he was the only other guy I ever encountered at the time who was doing that and I really wasn't sure what to use, but I've used that leather belt material for 12-13 years and it's held-up fine (my teeth marks are indented in it) and my dentist has no idea, he says my teeth are perfect, so I believe I'm good to go, for now! 

Edited by Luke Whippo
  • Thanks 1