DIY Cheap adjustable lever for grip strength, hand and wrist rehabilitation

TheParacordist

Working long hours at a computer takes its toll on the wrists and hands. The repetitive stress of using a mouse, in particular, cramps and weakens the hand and wrist. I've always realized the importance of hand/wrist strength as a former boxer, but I've let it get away from me in the last couple years. A few weeks ago I decided to take control of this and start a strengthening program. I researched online and found the Gripboard, and a variety of groups on Reddit. As a side "bonus" I found many arm wrestling training and match videos due to the importance of hand/wrist strength in the sport. I made a list of the techniques I wanted to employ in my own program. I decided I'd start with very low weight, warmups plus 3 sets of 5, and increment weight slightly with every workout based on the principles I learned in Starting Strength (Rippetoe) and StrongLifts 5x5 a few years ago. I've decided to work the following exercises: Grippers, Lever work (pronation, supination, hammer-up/down), Strap pronation/supination, Hex dumbbell pinch grips, Rolling Thunder, Wrist Roller and various cable exercises with a Wrist Wrench/large diameter handle. My goal is to make all of the equipment with materials I find around the house (paracord, a 15lb and a 30lb hex dumbbell set, various pins for a tool storage peg board, 40lbs total in 2.5lb plates I have from a weight vest, and a nautilus machine I haven't used in years. I have made nominal purchases as necessary to acquire PVC, carabiners, chain etc. that I didn’t have. I will post videos on the equipment I've made, including how to tie the knots required where applicable.

This video is about the wrist lever I made using a 1" dumbbell with twist collars purchased for less than $5 from WalMart.