Current Overall North American Grip Rankings - Updated October 1 - UNOFFICIAL

Eric Roussin

Armlifting USA website. He competes in the LA Fit Expo and many of the other expo events.

• Thanks 1

My write-up from the 2017 Fort Lauderdale contest provides some examples of Martins’ performances:

He's right behind Carl in super heavies.  Again... Google is your friend. 

0 0 0 0 003-091846_Samsung Internet.jpg

2019 VGVC finished 3rd behind Tank and Carl.  Competed in all the events.  Odd tends to only compete in selected events at contests.  

• Like 1

I agree with Eric's top 10 list. I have listed 16 more names that round out my top 26:) in Alphabetically order. Lots of M's

Stephen Anderson, Morgan Choi, Jason Dingey, Andrew Durniat,  Clay Edgin, Odd Haugen, John Machnik, Riccardo Magni, Justin Major, John McCarter, Rob McMurren, Eric Milfeld, Steve Millard,  Mike Rinderle, Joe Sullivan and Yves.

Edited by Kluv#0
Forgot Andrew Durniat- my apologies
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

I agree with Eric's top 10 list. I have listed 16 more names that round out my top 26:) in Alphabetically order. Lots of M's

Stephen Anderson, Morgan Choi, Jason Dingey, Andrew Durniat,  Clay Edgin, Odd Haugen, John Machnik, Riccardo Magni, Justin Major, John McCarter, Rob McMurren, Eric Milfeld, Steve Millard,  Mike Rinderle, Joe Sullivan, and Yves

Ok. Ill add you. I think if you were able to compete more often and I believe many would agree you’d have a place on this list. 

Despite the KP prowess. You have a strong well balanced grip. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Stephen Anderson, Morgan Choi, Jason Dingey, Andrew Durniat,  Clay Edgin, Odd Haugen, John Machnik, Riccardo Magni, Justin Major, John McCarter, Rob McMurren, Eric Milfeld, Steve Millard,  Mike Rinderle, Joe Sullivan and Yves.

Your name needs to be on the list as well. You can hold your own with most anyone.

10 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Ok. Ill add you. I think if you were able to compete more often and I believe many would agree you’d have a place on this list. 

To be honest and I always talk straight ,  I would not rank myself in the top 40. Maybe 45 ish- Heck I would be happy being ranked #69, LOL

1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Your name needs to be on the list as well. You can hold your own with most anyone.

I appreciate it Joe, but you men are the big dogs of grip!

2 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

To be honest and I always talk straight ,  I would not rank myself in the top 40. Maybe 45 ish- Heck I would be happy being ranked #69, LOL

Modesty. 

i disagree. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, KapMan said:

He should definitely replace me.  I haven't finished above 3rd in any contest I've ever entered.  Of course, always competing against Jedd and Luke turns 3rd place into first for me!  🤷‍♂️

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Google is your friend.  Unless you are paying Eric to be your bitch and do your leg work, why should he do your research? 

Yes he's my bitch :D

And no Google is not my friend.

On 10/1/2019 at 3:57 PM, Eric Roussin said:

A few months ago I posted a list of the men I consider to be the overall top 10 active grip athletes in North America. Based on the results of the contests that were held over the summer, I thought a few adjustments were in order. So, here’s my current list:

1 - Jedd Johnson

2 - Tanner Merkle

3 - Carl Myerscough

4 - Gil Goodman

5 - Adam Glass

6 - Kody Burns

7 - Luke Raymond

8 - Aaron Corcorran

9 - Martins Licis*

10 - Eric Roussin

*I neglected to include Martins on the list last time.

What do you think?

I think this is a strong consensus top 10. While I’m not sure there’s anyone who’s missed consideration on this list, there are a lot of strong honorable mentions listed above (and I would consider @Kluv#0 strongly for a position on the top 25 list despite his being too modest to include himself).

• Thanks 1

I think Martins could be much, much higher on the list if he actively participated in more grip specific events. I mean he did win worlds strongest man this year, and is under the tutelage of Odd “The Vice Grip Viking” Haugen. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Who all do you think would make a Top 10 list if they actively competed?  I'll say chad Woodall but there are others I'm sure.

6 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Who all do you think would make a Top 10 list if they actively competed?  I'll say chad Woodall but there are others I'm sure.

If we're talking about people who used to compete, but no longer do, it's very hard to know where they are at. Andrew Durniat is a great example. Five or six years ago his focus was on grip and one could have argued that he was deserving of the top spot. But because he has done very little targeted grip training over the past few years, his level has dropped a bit. I would assume the same would apply to other guys like Chad, Mike Burke, Rich Williams, etc. All of these guys have the potential to reach the top spot, but presently, they probably aren't at the top. Top 10 possibly (maybe even probably), but hard to say.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 9:35 PM, Eric Roussin said:

Competitors must have competed at least once in the past 12 months, and have contest results that warrant them being placed ahead of someone who's currently ranked.

The more i look back over these posts, the more I realize I should thank you for putting this list together.   

I am not really someone who is into “stats” — as in statistics— but because I work as a live broadcast camera operator, and because most of that work of mine is shooting professional sports, I forgot that there are literally people who get paid to do Sports Statistics.  Those people are paid for their research, work, and knowledge, but here your giving your Top Ten for free.

it is cool to know that we have someone who is not only competitive in the “sport” of Grip, but that person is also willing to crunch some numbers from time to time to make sense of IT ALL...

i like that this list is just the top ten guys who are not only setting world records, but they continue to “show up” and prove and reprove their Top Ten Status.

Maybe someday there will be a woman on this as well, but for now, Hat Off to the guys on this list, and the guys who will bump someone off this list next year.

• Like 2

Odd H. is still breaking world grip records maybe he should be on that top ten list next to Martins perhaps along with Brian Shaw who has some noteworthy blob and inch feats under his belt.

26 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

Odd H. is still breaking world grip records maybe he should be on that top ten list next to Martins perhaps along with Brian Shaw who has some noteworthy blob and inch feats under his belt.

This  list included active grip/armlifting  competitors, Brian is not a grip/armlifting   competitor and that is why one wouldn’t be on the list . Odd is, but has events that hurt him like pinch and grippers. This list is very accurate.