6mm Pinch Grip

AdriaanRobert96

In need of good expertise regarding pinch grip ”rules”

Just started doing thin pinch (6mm).

As I stated in previous post that I have long fingers which easily bend and that per se gives me trouble in some gripping aspects.

Below I’ll show 2 examples of ”pinch” that I do.

Let me know what’s allowed and what’s not, but let me know what may cause injury.

First picture: I manage 16kg/35lbs tops.

Second Picture: I manage around 20,3kg/45lbs.

Problem with first photo is that I can’t grip well, I just can’t apply pressure since my fingers cave.

Second photo is no problem really but I am concerned about finger health in the long run.

Will that type of pinching affect finger health in any way?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate every bit of advice and tips💪🏽

5367BA66-C5C5-42FB-94E1-13C646BE600F.jpeg

1C7829D6-27D8-48E7-AC5A-4E6BFBFB7D82.jpeg

Edited by AdriaanRobert96

What’s this talk of rules? The gym cops after you?👮‍♀️ It’s your body you do what you want. Rules only applies to a competition where standards are agreed upon and a judge/ref decides pass and fail.

If your joints can articulate in a position then it’s fine. Loading is an individual factor. no one can definitively say with accuracy a particular lift is good or bad without evaluating the N=1. 

Evaluating that particular grip in the image - it’s weak. You’re capping the load to a very small amount. I won’t expect much benefit in that unless you have a very specific goal in mind. 

• Thanks 2

Thin pinch is frustrating, but if you miss a lift you can always just easily key pinch it :)

• Thanks 1

On 9/28/2019 at 11:22 PM, Bob Callahan said:

Your second photo is very similar to something known to cause injuries to rock climbers, although at the loads and angle you're using, it's not as likely.

Here's a link to more information if you're interested: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211568415003216

From the article:

1-s2.0-S2211568415003216-gr3.jpg

Yeah, that was actually what I was worried about:) 

On 9/27/2019 at 8:46 AM, AdamTGlass said:

What’s this talk of rules? The gym cops after you?👮‍♀️ It’s your body you do what you want. Rules only applies to a competition where standards are agreed upon and a judge/ref decides pass and fail.

If your joints can articulate in a position then it’s fine. Loading is an individual factor. no one can definitively say with accuracy a particular lift is good or bad without evaluating the N=1. 

Evaluating that particular grip in the image - it’s weak. You’re capping the load to a very small amount. I won’t expect much benefit in that unless you have a very specific goal in mind. 

100% truth

As I recall pinch grip which a man showed isn't very common in grip sport. Pinch lifts are wider so there is absolutely no waste if you just stop doing this and try at least an inch wide implements. If you want to lift coins this won't help.

• Thanks 1