Closest I've seen to a 45# plate WRIST curl.

lifesnotfair

What is the closest you've all seen to a legit 45 pound plate Wrist curl? (NOT just a "plate curl").

Rob Vigeant Jr., who used to post here some 15 years ago (or so, under the handle 'monkeypaws', he was the first to cert on the MM3), but has been focusing on Armwrestling lately, posted this on his Instagram. He says his daughter started recording late, so we can't see exactly where he started. I remember some 10+ years ago I was exchanging messages with him and he said he once plate Wrist curled a 20kg plate that was just a little shorter in diameter than the 45# he had, so he felt even though there was only a 1 pound difference, it was the diameter of the plate that made the difference. He did tell me he couldn't bend his wrist all the way back so he started at a point which, to my understanding, meant halfway between the plate being parallel and being perpendicular to the floor. Honestly I always believed pretty much everything he ever told me he did, and as he went to grip comps so long ago and has proven himself in the AW stage numerous times at an extremely high level, I have no reason to doubt him.

Anyways, here's what he posted. I did not ask for permission to post it here, but seeing his Instagram account is public and you don't have to be a follower to view it's content, I'm sure he'd be OK with anyone sharing this feat, done in promptu at a store.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2aGaQKHC6F/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Like 3

I have a similar plate that he is describing and and I have done that exactly the same- plate is on a bench so you’re cutting 50% rom. That won’t matter to anyone who can do it because it’s so far outside of the range of strong people who cares what they think. I’m thinking I can film this some time this month my wrist training is going ok right now. 

For a “full range of motion” full sized 45 is legendary. Ask around and you hear someone who knew someone who did it but very hard to find. Absolutely within reach of several people if they got crazy serious about attaining. As a side thought it’s a very risky challenge for those who haven’t years of proper training that can be a tendon disaster. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, slazbob said:

Has Shaw tried this? 

Would it blow your mind if a 450 lb giant can wrist curl 10% of his weight?

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 9:46 AM, AdamTGlass said:

Would it blow your mind if a 450 lb giant can wrist curl 10% of his weight?

Wrist *plate* curl. Not the same at all! :-)

Adam, I'm sorry that I didn't explain myself very well: back when Rob described to me (over 10 years ago) what he had done in the past when he was training with this cousin (who also used to post here), he described plate-wrist curling a 20kg but failing with the 45 pounder. I then asked exactly how it was performed, and showed him a video of Josh Dale doing a 35# plate. In this video, Josh lets the plate go down very far (the plate is nearly perpendicular to the ground if I remember correctly). Rob told me he couldn't bend his wrist that far back (most guys who armwrestle can't extend their wrist ALL the way back), but he said he plate-wrist-curled the 20kg lowering the plate to "around 4:30 on a clock". He meant halfway between the plate being parallel to the floor and perpendicular to the floor: in other words, not full ROM but not "from parallel" either. Just thought I'd clear that up as you described plate wrist curling a plate off a bench, which would mean it started "at parallel" and not anything below obviously.

Anyways I thought this feat would gather more attention as it is, to me at least, much more impressive than a Inch DB lift for example.

• Like 1

I can't say I've done this technically as it was 20kg so 44lb but I have done it on a regular full size iron plate with legit form. I can't say I recommend trying this as it felt like it was very close to snapping my fingers.

• Like 2

If someone was going to do it, the fitness gear plate he is using would be the one to go with.  A: their diameter is almost a full 2" less than a standard 45.  B: the quality control is hideous.  I've seen the 45s range in weight from 42 to 48 on those.  I bought a set of them twice in my life just to get cheap iron.  The bar that came with the first set weighed 36 pounds.  Lol

• Like 1

Rob is a genetic Freak. 

But: if you claim a full wrist curl. Do and show a full wrist curl. Also you should use a quality standard olympic barbell plate from York, Rogue, Eleiko etc. for that kind of world class feat, which has the correct weight and 45cm Diameter.  No Question should remain then…