12" Globe Grip

DAVE101

I like to incorporate hangs into my grip training, and I've seen Jedd use this 12" Globe Grip. I've got one as well - picked it up from RepFitness (link below) for less than half of what Rogue sells it for (~$50), so I thought I'd share the find. I'm not sure how long they'll keep it at this price. In my experience, wrist strength tends to be the limiting factor for spheres this size.

https://www.repfitness.com/bodyweight-gymnastics/pull-up-systems/grip-attachments/12-globe-grip

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-12-pullup-globe

web-381b3262_text.jpg

• Like 2

I’ve had my eye on this for a while. 

I suspect that it will be one of those things I buy and hardly ever use though. 

How much did they charge you for shipping? 

Edited by FrankSobotka
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, FrankSobotka said:

I’ve had my eye on this for a while. 

I suspect that it will be one of those things I buy and hardly ever use though. 

How much did they charge you for shipping? 

Same. Always wanted one but I probably won't use it much after the new-grip-tool time expires.

I think it would be great for a rock climbing gym. Lots of funky sloper holds like that.

55 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

I think it would be great for a rock climbing gym. Lots of funky sloper holds like that.

Lots of gyms already have this, but made of plastic instead of steel. Climbing hold manufacturers have been making these for a long time. Great for working open hand strength. 

• Like 1

I've used 12 inch ones years ago, not sure of the company but they exist. Surprised at the weight but I guess that makes sense. I prefer the texture of climbing holds over smooth steel in most cases but I'm probably the outlier for that. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2019 at 10:17 AM, Climber028 said:

I prefer the texture of climbing holds over smooth steel in most cases but I'm probably the outlier for that. 

I have one. It's textured. From their specifications: 

12" Diameter Powdercoated Steel Sphere

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bob Callahan said:

I have one. It's textured. From their specifications: 

Climbing holds typically have what most grip guys would describe as extreme texture. Makes powder coating look like glass. 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 7:31 AM, Adam Juncker said:

Same. Always wanted one but I probably won't use it much after the new-grip-tool time expires.

new-grip-tool time... so true, and so true.

But did you ever get a new cool tol that at first was a "letdown" that later you finally discovered the real value of it?

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 8:00 PM, Climber028 said:

Climbing holds typically have what most grip guys would describe as extreme texture. Makes powder coating look like glass. 

I don't climb artificial holds much. What I've found is that the coating on my globe closely approximates the rock I normally climb on for slopers, which is what I bought it to train for.

Good to train side pressure movements for AW by placing your hands as low to the side as possible and do holds or pullups

• Like 1

If one is on a tight budget, you can use a 10 lb plus rubber medicine ball and screw heavy duty eye bolt.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

If one is on a tight budget, you can use a 10 lb plus rubber medicine ball and screw heavy duty eye bolt.

That’s what I would do! Great idea mang!

On 10/18/2019 at 11:51 AM, Kluv#0 said:

Or an old bowling ball coated with this:

rustoleum stone.jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bob Callahan said:

Or an old bowling ball coated with this:

rustoleum stone.jpg

I've used that stuff before! It works much better than Rustoleum "Textured" which barely feels like anything and wears away pretty quick. If you want texture, this is the stuff you want, but you'll need multiple coats.

1 minute ago, DAVE101 said:

I've used that stuff before! It works much better than Rustoleum "Textured" which barely feels like anything and wears away pretty quick. If you want texture, this is the stuff you want, but you'll need multiple coats.

That would be nice on an inch dumbbell handle