? on closing #2

kumikata

How many reps can a person usually do with the #1 before they are capable of closing the #2.  I have closed the #1 for 11 reps but I can't close the #2.  Any suggestions on the number of sets and reps I should do with the #1?  Thanks.

I had just started closing the 2 for reps a few months ago, before a recent injury.  

Repping the one really wasn't the key for me, as I never really did more than 5-10 reps on the one.

Strapholds were what worked for me.  I used an old two-liter bottle as the hang weight, which I added a cup of water to for each workout session.  See the straphold article for how to do them.  

Think of it as an issue of power - you wouldn't say that someone who can do a bunch of pushups can necessarily bench press a much greater weight, even once.  So repping the one may not be building the power to close the two.

My novice answer... for what it's worth... :p

JimT, your novice answer is the best answer one could give to this gentleman.

REPS don't mean nothing when it comes to strength. I can do 50 straigth reps on the #1 but can't close the #3. Should I go for 60 reps to close the #3 ? No.

Build your STRENGTH. Do strap holds, many sets. Add weight each workout. Overcrush the handles of the #1 for 5-10 seconds. Many times. Do negatives with your #2. Such exercises will build strength required to close the #2.

I never  do more than 5 reps with the grippers. In fact, I can't remember a workout where I performed reps. I always do singles, strap holds, timed holds and negatives. No repping.

When I was working towards closing the #2, I tried strap holds, and timed holds.  And I made alright progress.  Then I thought: "Hey, even though everyone says not to do reps, I should at least give it a shot."

So I started doing reps.  The day I closed the #2, I did 24 reps with the number one.  It closed easily.

I don't understand how anyone who has any weight training experiance could say that reps don't build strength.  If your max bench press is 400 pounds, and someone else can do it 20 times, who is stronger?  Duh...  Why not max out on every exercise for every set of every work out ever?

I'm not saying that strap holds and negatives don't work... they do.  And at a certain point the strength gains you get from reps DO become extremely minimal, but lets be realistic, we all know reps can build strength.

Michael Falkov

"If your max bench press is 400 pounds, and someone else can do it 20 times, who is stronger?"

The guy who can do it 20 times is stronger, how did he get there though?  Probably not from repping 315.  Reps can build strength, but with a gripper we are looking for limit strength.  Take the "Squat off" by Dr. Squat and Tom Platz, Dr Squat did around 900lbs, I think, Platz did around 750lbs I think.  Then they dropped to 590ish, Dr. Squat did it like 14 times, Platz did it 28 or so, now to look at those numbers, who is stronger?  Dr. Squat has limit strength, where Platz has greater aerobic strength.  Don't quote me on the weights, but you see what I mean.  This is what we want for grippers, limit strength, or at least I do.   If I can do 10 reps with #1, 10 with #2, and then close the #3 or 60 reps with #1 60 reps with #2, and not close the #3, which is stronger? Both have different strengths, one is like the energizer bunny, goes and goes, the other just crushes the bunny and forgets about it.  ;)  Some people can use reps and get good results, I cannot.  I may take a workout once in a blue moon and see what I can do, but it serves no purpose for me.  The way I see it, if you close it more then 3 times you're playing with it... :)  Just my $0.02, find something that works for you and go with it.  If it's singles and negatives good, if it's reps everyday good, take it and go with it........

Heath,

Your $0,02 are always good advice. Steve Weiner once said on the older board : I don't care if I can do only one rep on the #2, as long as I can close the #3. That sums it all. Shoot for a strength target, not a reps target.

I could do 15 reps with the #1 when I closed the #2 for one. I am not suggesting you train with high reps i.e. 15+ reps. Do strap holds, negatives with #2 to failure, Crush the #1 and hold for time to failure and all the other suggestions already made.

No matter what muscle you train remember to do the last rep, within the aerobic capacity of the muscle involved. When you do 15+ reps or +/-1minute 45seconds time under load you will go past the aerobic capacity of the muscle and failure will not be because of momentary muscle failure but because the muscle has simply run out of oxygen. When the aerobic capacity is breeched the muscle isn’t capable to do any work not because it can’t physically lift the weight involved but it doesn’t have any fuel/oxygen left to burn and the body can’t supply it either.

:D

Guest kINGPIN

I have a feeling that the way I trained is totally unique to me.  I am not saying it is the best way, or even a good way, its just how I did it.  I have already put a post on how I train that if you care you can use the search engine to look for it.  I used the #1 as a sort of foundation and looked at working my positioning, and to a degree, some endurance.  Lets face it.  If you work a muscle hard, whether it is high reps or low reps, it hurts like ####;- there are just different pains acociated with both methods.  I trained until the #1 was no longer a challenge any day at any time and then moved up.

Becasue of my recent injury (which is finally healing now  :)  ) I have decided to take a little advice off wannnagrip and changed it to suit my circumstances and it seems to bve paying off for me.  What I am trying to say is; something may work for a while, but chances are it won't work forever.  Experiment, and never close your mind to different training methods.

Reps didn't work for me.  What did work for me was timed holds and severe negatives on the SW grip machine.

Take the gripper you can't close and "cheat" it shut (meaning press it against you leg until it closes, the hold it closed for as long as possible).  Also, just because you get stuck on a gripper you can't close, you should give up.  NEVER GIVE UP!  Just keep working at it.  It will happen if you train hard enough.  For me, the #2 came easy.  It was the #3 that I realized I had to GRIP TRAIN!  Good Luck!  :)

You are correct KingPin,

I went back to the archives and found some info on this,apparently it is based on the hardy handshake. Thanks again.

JJ