Gripboard Grip Bash 3: Official Rules

EricMilfeld

TIME: 0001 Nov. 1 through 2359 Nov. 7 Central Standard Time

EVENTS

GRIPPERS: Close the highest rated Iron Mind gripper you are capable of closing, for one or more reps. You may set the gripper using your free hand up to the point where the handles are parallel to each other, but not beyond that point. If you manage more than one rep, open the gripper to at least the point where the handles are parallel to each other between reps. The free hand may not contact the gripper or any part of the hand or arm closing the gripper, after the initial set. The following poundage will be awarded for a close of the various IM grippers: Trainer-100, #1-140, #2-195, #3-280, #4-365. The following poundage will be awarded for each additional rep completed with the various grippers: Trainer-1, #1-2, #2-3, #3-4, #4-5. For example, 3 reps completed with a #2 gripper would yield a score of 201 pounds. (195 pounds, plus 3 pounds multiplied by 2 additional reps equals 201 pounds). If a poundage greater than that awarded for closing the next most difficult gripper is achieved by repping, than the lifter will be awarded only the poundage for closing the more difficult gripper. Perform with both the right and left hand, scoring each individually.

VERTICAL BAR: Grasp the pipe with one hand and lift clear of the floor by at least 3 inches, and hold for at least 3 seconds, before lowering to ground. If the pipe slips in your hand, insure that the pinky finger still maintains full contact with the pipe until the 3 seconds elapse. Insure that your hand, wrist, or any part of the apparatus does not contact any part of your body throughout the lift. Perform with both the right and left hand, scoring each individually. Construct of your V-bar of factory smooth schedule 40 PVC pipe of at least 1 5/8 inches in total diameter (classified as 1 ¼ inch). Cut the pipe to no longer than 10 inches in length, and drill a hole completely through the side of the pipe, up 1 ½ inches from the pipe’s bottom, into which you’ll insert the bolt which will hold a chain, or similar device, to which you’ll attach the loading pin. See the following examples:

http://home.bellsouth.net/coDataImages/p/G...221clip0643.jpg

http://home.att.net/~studiousmom/wsb/html/...eID-604564.html

PINCH BLOCK: Pinch the block with one hand and lift clear of the floor by at least 3 inches, and hold for at least 3 seconds before returning the apparatus to the floor. Your hand, wrist, or any part of the apparatus may not contact any part of your body throughout the lift. Insure your fingers don’t reach to the bottom edge of the block. Perform with both the right and the left hand, scoring each individually. Your block may be made of any hard, flat surface you choose. Insure that the two faces of the block, which you’ll be pinching, are parallel to each other. So, the thickness at the top, should be that of the block’s bottom. You may use any thickness of block you choose. Cover the entire portion of the block to contact your hand with duct tape. Apply the tape vertically (in line with your fingers), in one layer only, overlapping each strip by about ¼ inch. Attach hook center, and middle, on the bottom of the block, to accept your loading pin.

Wrist Curl: Perform a wrist curl with a standard olympic bar, with the forearms flat on a level surface, with the entire hand hanging off the edge of the surface. Perform with a full range of motion, lowering the bar as low, and raising the bar as high as anatomically possible. Wrap your thumbs around the bar. They must oppose the fingers.

SCORING

A points system will be used. The competitor lifting the heaviest poundage on a given lift will be awarded ten points. The other competitors will be awarded their points using the following formula. Divide competitor's poundage by winning poundage, and multiply by ten. For example, a winning lift of 200 pounds will receive the ten points, while a lift of 150 pounds will receive 7.5 points. The final ranking of the competitors will be determined by the collective total of points awarded each lifter. For the gripper, V-bar, and pinch events, the totals of the right and left hand lifts will be used for ranking.

POSTING BY EXAMPLE:

E-mail your results to me in the following format:

Eric Milfeld (Gripboard nickname, if applicable)

Grippers R #1X6 reps PR L trainerX12 reps

V-bar R 110 L 95

Pinch block R 55 L60

Wrist curl 115 PR

ADDITIONAL NOTES

Use only gym chalk as a grip aid. Include the weight of the loading pin, pinch block, and the V-bar itself in your results. Designate any personal records you set with “PR”. All results must be received by 2359 Central Standard Time on Nov. 7. And remember, as a cyber contest, you can lift where you choose, and perform the lifts in any order you like. Have fun!

Edited by eric milfeld

I made my 2 1/4 inch thick pinch block yesterday. With the duct tape it feels like a big block of ice. I lost a good 20 pounds when I added the tape, but it should create a level playing field.

Edited by eric milfeld

Thanks for posting the rules Eric, I must have missed them last week with the hype up to Rick's contest.

I'll have to assemble the stuff this weekend maybe so I can actually do some training with it.

Jon@han

I openly invite and encourage all of you grip phenoms, who amazed us all at Rick's contest, to compete in the next G G Bash in November. Follow the lead of Jonathan, Jedd, and Smitty!

• 4 weeks later...

As a reminder guys, if you're interested in competing, you'll want to make your two simple implements to be ready for the contest, coming up in only three weeks.

i'm ready to be in the top 3

• 3 weeks later...

There's a minor change in the rules. In addition to a standard olympic bar, a straight fixed bar may be used for the wrist curl event. For some reason, I don't have the option of editing my original post of the rules.

Goodbye to all the scary ghouls

Farewell to the Monster Mash

Pack away the pumpkin carving tools

Say "Hello" to the Gripboard Grip Bash!

Guest gripmaster316

John and I were talking about the use of the loading pin as the V-bar. I understand about the thickness issue but it would incorporate some grip. My brother has 7 inch hands and can still do about 150 pounds with one hand. You should think about it Eric. I like the idea of the use of a standard bar. As well, you should give some thoughts towards bending.

Edited by gripmaster316

John and I were talking about the use of the loading pin as the V-bar. I understand about the thickness issue but it would incorporate some grip. My brother has 7 inch hands and can still do about 150 pounds with one hand. You should think about it Eric. I like the idea of the use of a standard bar. As well, you should give some thoughts towards bending.

Besides the thickness issue with the loading pin, there's also the consistency issue. If we required the loading pin to be of a specific material and texture, then it would be fair. I've considered bending in the past, but was faced with the obvious consistency issues again. But with calibrated bars perhaps bending could be an option. Perhaps we could agree to use David's challenge bars, or use a stock of our personal choice, provided we could develop a universal way of testing for strength. There's a lot of options...

I just finished contesting all but my right handed gripper. I'll do that later in the week, when I'm fresher.

Here's a tip for improving your pinching and V-bar grip. If you're having trouble with sweaty hands, as I am down here in hot humid Texas, grasp some cubes of ice after warming up, and then thoroughly dry your hands. It helped me immensely.

I finished my grippers event today ( But I was not pleased with my left hand effort... so I will give that hand another chance on Friday ).

Tomorrow I am going to make the vertical bar and pinch block. :rock

Good luck to all participating ! :)

Tomorrow I am going to make the vertical bar and pinch block. :rock

Now that's what I call procrastination! Or is it confidence?! :yikes

Tomorrow I am going to make the vertical bar and pinch block.  :rock

Now that's what I call procrastination! Or is it confidence?! :yikes

I call it laziness ! :laugh

Eric when did u say u were going to post the results?

Eric when did u say u were going to post the results?

I'm glad you asked. I'll be going out of town later this afternoon, and will return late Saturday night. So, at some point Sunday morning I'll be posting the results. My wife helped me design the certificates this morning, for the top five finishers. I guess the special equipment required for this event scared everyone off. I've only received the results of two competitors thus far, with less than a day left to the deadline. I still have a blast doing this, though. I really enjoy training to beat my PRs. And equally as fun, is receiving ya'lls results with those "PR"s beside your lifts. But PRs or not, it's really all about training hard to improve yourself, and giving it your best on contest day, and finally, sharing in the camaraderie with all the other guys. Am I sounding too corny?

No, nothing wrong with lovin what you do

Am I sounding too corny?

No you are not... I really appreciate the time and effort you put into this contest. :bow

ya, same here Eric :bow