Jump to content

How many people have lifted the Inch DB?


Bearhugger

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Bro.  Guys over 60 are doing it.  It ain't all that.

Odd Haugen (former WSM competitor)  and Joe Magovero who looked to be easily benching 500 pounds and did a double inch lift  in his homage video and who are not your average anything for any age. These guys are not your average. Do we know of anyone else over 60 besides them?  Like I said before, if it wasn’t hard, all of the juice monsters at expos would be lifting it like it was nothing, and they aren’t. But, you have your opinion, which you are entitled to. If it was not such an elite feat , Mike, you would have owned  the inch a long time ago, and you are a beast at grip and are capable of it now . The guys on the over 50 list are beasts as well. Not the norm by any means. 

Edited by Guest
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Mike Rinderle

    39

  • WestSlope

    13

  • Fist of Fury

    13

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of my inch lifts after European grip championships.  

Yesterday in Las Vegas a vendor had a Sorinex Inch replica as a challenge with free supplements as a prize for lifting it. Three of us lifted it. I lifted it seconds after Nick Best had a nearly locke

Posted Images

Mike Rinderle
1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Odd Haugen (former WSM competitor)  and Joe Magovero who looked to be easily benching 500 pounds and did a double inch lift  in his homage video and who are not your average anything for any age. These guys are not your average. Do we know of anyone else over 60 besides them?  Like I said before, if it wasn’t hard, all of the juice monsters at expos would be lifting it like it was nothing, and they aren’t. But, you have your opinion, which you are entitled to. If it was not such an elite feat , Mike, you would have owned  the inch a long time ago, and you are a beast at grip and are capable of it now . The guys on the over 50 list are beasts as well. Not the norm by any 

They are over 60.  Odd did it 62 times in 10 minutes at age 66.   I don't care who you are.  That's 66 years old.  If a 66 year old guy can do it, it isn't that big of a deal bro.  Seriously.  Stop.  It isn't even an argument.

It's a tough feat for sure.  But it isn't the uber special feat everyone thought it was 10 years ago.

Show me one other feat a 66 yo can do 62 times that's even remotely world class.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

They are over 60.  Odd did it 62 times in 10 minutes at age 66.   I don't care who you are.  That's 66 years old.  If a 66 year old guy can do it, it isn't that big of a deal bro.  Seriously.  Stop.  It isn't even an argument.

It's a tough feat for sure.  But it isn't the uber special feat everyone thought it was 10 years ago.

Show me one other feat a 66 yo can do 62 times that's even remotely world class.

You are comparing a former WSM competitor to the general population. He is probably stronger than most trained individuals out there geared or not, I would guess. Most people in their 60s have degenerated backs/joints and probably can’t do the powerlifting or weight lifting type feats with max weight that you may be implying , so that’s probably out, but grip is different, and the only reason I am doing grip is for that same reason. (Injuries). You won’t see people in their 60s deadlift 1000 pounds like a young guy, but you also won’t see too many young guys lifting the inch 62 times as well, it’s hard enough for one time, no?so it’s harder to compare what you are saying. Grip feats ( most) can be enjoyed until the later years, unlike the strongman, weightlifting and powerlifting feats with max weights putting undue stress on the frame. The old guys can stand up to any young guys in the grip department while there are so many young guys that cannot lift the inch right here on grip board , but I digress. Your opinion is your opinion and I respect it Mike.

Edited by Guest
Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
8 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Inch isnt easy..dont give a shit what you say..

Never said it was easy.  Read what I said.  The sport has evolved.  It's now like the #3, red nail, plain reg #3, and blob 50.  Very difficult, but just not world class like everyone thought 10-15 years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
KapMan
2 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Never said it was easy.  Read what I said.  The sport has evolved.  It's now like the #3, red nail, plain reg #3, and blob 50.  Very difficult, but just not world class like everyone thought 10-15 years ago.

What denotes world class? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Never said it was easy.  Read what I said.  The sport has evolved.  It's now like the #3, red nail, plain reg #3, and blob 50.  Very difficult, but just not world class like everyone thought 10-15 years ago.

Yea that’s probably because so many more people are into strength sports now, when not too many were doing it then. I’ll buy that for a dollar, but it will never be easy/attainable for most that try.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
30 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Yea that’s probably because so many more people are into strength sports now, when not too many were doing it then. I’ll buy that for a dollar, but it will never be easy/attainable for most that try.

Agreed

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
30 minutes ago, KapMan said:

What denotes world class? 

 

I have a very simple definition of what isn't.  If I can do it at almost 52 years old, it's not.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I have a very simple definition of what isn't.  If I can do it at almost 52 years old, it's not.  

Well, Mike, since you won’t do it, I will say it for you! It is a big deal that you did it! 52 or not! Anyone that can do it  should be proud! Especially for the amount of years you have been in the Grip game and reaching that milestone. It ain’t easy! There, I said it for you! 😉 Congratulations to you, you  NOT SO over the hill S.O.B 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
6 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Lockout is a bit shabby, but it is thumbless...

1466655682_ScreenShot2019-10-09at1_54_07PM.thumb.png.4ceca4ccc1a554c171daf27796e2f1c4.png

Now that's elite!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Fist of Fury
24 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Lockout is a bit shabby, but it is thumbless...

1466655682_ScreenShot2019-10-09at1_54_07PM.thumb.png.4ceca4ccc1a554c171daf27796e2f1c4.png

Clearly braced against the leg, so no lift there :D 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
4 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Found this tribute video on Joseph Mugovero ! I see Jedd at 1:09 in the video 

 

That was extremely cool!

Two things: 1st, was that third dumbbell he was table curling an actual inch?  Even if it was the 150, that's insane. 2nd, apparently being a mailman means you are going to be strong AF into your golden years. @climber511

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

That was extremely cool!

Two things: 1st, was that third dumbbell he was table curling an actual inch?  Even if it was the 150, that's insane. 2nd, apparently being a mailman means you are going to be strong AF into your golden years. @climber511

 

The guy was a freakin tank!!  The inch he was table top curling is labeled as 128 pounds. 

Edited by Guest
Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
43 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

The guy was a freakin tank!!  The inch he was table top curling is labeled as 128 pounds. 

No, later in the vid.  I can't read the tape.

 

0 0 0 pt_20191009-195330_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Mike Rinderle
Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I think it’s the same one.

Could be.  They look different.  But even 120 with that handle is sick.

0 0 0 0pot_20191009-195609_Samsung Internet.jpg

0 0 0 pt_20191009-195330_Samsung Internet.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I have a very simple definition of what isn't.  If I can do it at almost 52 years old, it's not.  

Thats a pretty lame definition. But whatever 👍🏻

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
11 hours ago, KapMan said:

Thats a pretty lame definition. But whatever 👍🏻

It's a philosophy that has kept me humble over the last 52 years.  If I can do something, there are probably  thousands of people out there that could do it given the chance and time to train for it.

I break feats down into 4 categories:

Attainable by most healthy males with some specific effort: Pinching 2-25s, closing a #2, 300# on an axle, 40 lb blob, 200 on a 2" vbar, etc.

What I call gateway lifts = Something extremely hard to attain for most people and once you have, you can be considered a serious gripsport playa.  Feats like a #3 close, pinching two 45s, blob 50, plain reg #3 shoe, Red Nail bend, > 200# on a new RT, 3 25s pinch, lifting the Inch for a single.

World Class = something only the top 25 people or so in the world can do. Feats like Blobzilla, Pinching a 25KG and 45 lb plate, Lifting the 200# Inch or lifting the Inch for multiple reps, pinching York deep dish 45s, etc.

Elite = something only the top few people in the world can do.  Blob Father, cleaing Blobzilla or the Inch, Kerckhaert DF front clipped 10x25 Extra #3, two 25kg plate pinch, pinching deep dish York 45s in each hand, Millenium Dumbbell lift, closing a #4, etc. 

 

Those are just some examples.  But that's how I look at grip feats.  The lists are always changing.  A lot of the stuff on the Gateway lift list was considered world class 10 - 15 years ago.  If we are ever successful at getting a bunch of monsters like Shaw to compete, then a lot of the world class and elite feats will drop down the list quickly. 

 

But my original definition still stands.  If a part time strength enthusiast like me can do something at almost 52 years old, it is definitely not world class.  It can't be.  There are millions of people stronger than me on the planet and I guarantee there are thousands and thousands with a stronger grip.  So by definition, if I can do it, it ain't world class.  That doesn't mean it isn't a great feat and super hard to attain.  But I promise you, after the blender I've put this body through there isn't a world class feat in it at my age.  Other than horseshoes, there probably never was.  And I got humbled by Bergmann pretty quick on the shoes when a real world class strength athlete took up the sport for a few months.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

It's a philosophy that has kept me humble over the last 52 years.  If I can do something, there are probably  thousands of people out there that could do it given the chance and time to train for it.

I break feats down into 4 categories:

Attainable by most healthy males with some specific effort: Pinching 2-25s, closing a #2, 300# on an axle, 40 lb blob, 200 on a 2" vbar, etc.

What I call gateway lifts = Something extremely hard to attain for most people and once you have, you can be considered a serious gripsport playa.  Feats like a #3 close, pinching two 45s, blob 50, plain reg #3 shoe, Red Nail bend, > 200# on a new RT, 3 25s pinch, lifting the Inch for a single.

World Class = something only the top 25 people or so in the world can do. Feats like Blobzilla, Pinching a 25KG and 45 lb plate, Lifting the 200# Inch or lifting the Inch for multiple reps, pinching York deep dish 45s, etc.

Elite = something only the top few people in the world can do.  Blob Father, cleaing Blobzilla or the Inch, Kerckhaert DF front clipped 10x25 Extra #3, two 25kg plate pinch, pinching deep dish York 45s in each hand, Millenium Dumbbell lift, closing a #4, etc. 

 

Those are just some examples.  But that's how I look at grip feats.  The lists are always changing.  A lot of the stuff on the Gateway lift list was considered world class 10 - 15 years ago.  If we are ever successful at getting a bunch of monsters like Shaw to compete, then a lot of the world class and elite feats will drop down the list quickly. 

 

But my original definition still stands.  If a part time strength enthusiast like me can do something at almost 52 years old, it is definitely not world class.  It can't be.  There are millions of people stronger than me on the planet and I guarantee there are thousands and thousands with a stronger grip.  So by definition, if I can do it, it ain't world class.  That doesn't mean it isn't a great feat and super hard to attain.  But I promise you, after the blender I've put this body through there isn't a world class feat in it at my age.  Other than horseshoes, there probably never was.  And I got humbled by Bergmann pretty quick on the shoes when a real world class strength athlete took up the sport for a few months.

There should be 2 lists. The geared and the non geared lifts and records. Comparing a massively geared guys to a natural is like comparing a Toyota Corolla to a souped up Ferrari. Comparing apples to the oranges. No comparison. Natural lifters should not compare themselves to them and feel let down because they are not quite  as strong. There is a good reason for it. 

This is NOT to start a conversation on gear, just stating the comparison is not in the same league because of it. Please guys do not segue off my comment and make it about that. Don’t want this thread shut down. 

Edited by Guest
Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
7 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

There should be 2 lists. The geared and the non geared lifts and records. Comparing a massively geared guys to a natural is like comparing a Toyota Corolla to a souped up Ferrari. Comparing apples to the oranges. No comparison. Natural lifters should not compare themselves to them and feel let down because they are not quite  as strong. There is a good reason for it. 

This is NOT to start a conversation on gear, just stating the comparison is not in the same league because of it. Please guys do not segue off my comment and make it about that. Don’t want this thread shut down. 

I'm on the creatine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Alawadhi
19 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

They are over 60.  Odd did it 62 times in 10 minutes at age 66.   I don't care who you are.  That's 66 years old.  If a 66 year old guy can do it, it isn't that big of a deal bro.  Seriously.  Stop.  It isn't even an argument.

It's a tough feat for sure.  But it isn't the uber special feat everyone thought it was 10 years ago.

Show me one other feat a 66 yo can do 62 times that's even remotely world class.

Because grip strength stays for way longer time than most things. Can Odd replicate his bench bench, dead? No way. Did his grip strength get better? Probably. Which shows grip strength is different and age doesn't matter as much. Of course Odd had better grip 10 years back, but what is the percentage his grip strength fell compared to let's say deadlifts? The difference are huge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

Because grip strength stays for way longer time than most things. Can Odd replicate his bench bench, dead? No way. Did his grip strength get better? Probably. Which shows grip strength is different and age doesn't matter as much. Of course Odd had better grip 10 years back, but what is the percentage his grip strength fell compared to let's say deadlifts? The difference are huge.

Exactly my point! Nice! That’s EXACTLY what I said.

Edited by Guest
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.