Sign in to follow this  
Bearhugger

How many people have lifted the Inch DB?

Joseph Sullivan
2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I'd love to see a vid thread, and I won't have an entry because my hands are too small and I don't weigh enough and I'm too old, so it's not fair and they should add weights to the Inch with magnets for big guys so they can have a harder time with it and I can use two hands, and lots of big guys in remote places or with no interest in lifting could lift it if only they wanted to so we should all chip in and send them Inches.  And of course, I am saying all this in fun. 

But the original question, by bear hugger, was "How many people HAVE lifted the Inch dumbbell?"  I think it would be very hard to answer the original question without speculating, because I think the Inch has been around for something in the nature of 100 years, and people did not catalog let alone video the canon of successful lifters (unless, of course, they did; but I doubt it). 

Who would be able to lift the Inch today is a smaller subset of who in history could have lifted it, and is also speculative; Joe's idea of a thread would be more along the lines of, "Who, among those active enthusiasts who are aware of the Inch, could lift it today?  Let's see, submit vid here: __."  The result would be a fair sample (since not everyone who could do it would bother) of athletes and enthusiasts who can do it right now -- still wouldn't tell you who ever did, or who could, but it would give you an idea by looking across the board at the submissions what kind of athlete/enthusiast is succeeding at it.

All for the exercise, but as I said, I can't, so I'll just watch.  I do enjoy trying my hand at baby inches and have pulled a couple of those, so I respect the difficulty of the deed.  Go play fellas.

I already made a vid thread 

Mike Rinderle

Interestingly, one person who probably never lifted the Thomas Inch Dumbbell without cheating is Thomas Inch himself.  Many don't know that the original bell has a hole in it.  Mr. Inch (I hear he was a good 2 1/2" when angry) had a pin that came down from a wrist strap he wore.  That pin would be inserted in the hole and stop the rotation of the dumbbell, making it way easier to lift.  Whether he ever successfully lifted it without using this old time strongman trick has been debated, but probably not. 

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Mike Rinderle

I'd also be very interested in knowing how many people have lifted the Inch after they turned 50.  Again, not a list of who could, but a list of who has.  I'm very very very close to a full, locked out lift.  There are also two other team AARP members on this board, @Kluv#0 and @WestSlope, that will probably lift it the first time they get their hands on one.  Would be interesting to know how excusive the geezer club is.  @EricMilfeld has gotten close too.

We came up with some names at Living Legends.  I'm sure there are more:

Odd Haugen, Mark Felix, Steve Gardner, David Horne, Bob Sundin, and 2 or 3 others I can't remember off the top of my head.  Dave Thornton maybe?

Then there are guys like Chad Woodall and Arto who could easily do it, but I'm not sure if they have actually done it since they turned 50.

If you guys know of some names to add to the list, that would be a big help.  

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 6

WestSlope

Yesterday in Las Vegas a vendor had a Sorinex Inch replica as a challenge with free supplements as a prize for lifting it. Three of us lifted it. I lifted it seconds after Nick Best had a nearly locked out lift with it. He laid a fist bump on me for my trouble. Adam took a video for me, but I have my back to him. That was the first time I touched a bona fide replica. I walked away with a tub of protein powder too.

Edited by WestSlope
  • Like 8

AdamTGlass
4 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Yesterday in Las Vegas a vendor had a Sorinex Inch replica as a challenge with free supplements as a prize for lifting it. Three of us lifted it. I lifted it seconds after Nick Best had a nearly locked out lift with it. He laid a fist bump on me for my trouble. Adam took a video for me, but I have my back to him. That was the first time I touched a bona fide replica. I walked away with a tub of protein powder too.

Steve has no trouble lifting the inch after a 5 hour contest 💪💪💪💪

• Like 4

WestSlope
12 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

Steve has no trouble lifting the inch after a 5 hour contest 💪💪💪💪

The vendor was announcing that the bell was 200 lb, so after Adam tossed it around with both hands he put it on their scale. 172. The whole vendor scene was like being in the center of a weird circus. Tom lifted the Inch before Adam and I. Tom is a monster on thickbar

Edited by WestSlope
  • Like 3

Kluv#0
9 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

The vendor was announcing that the bell was 200 lb, so after Adam tossed it around with both hands he put it on their scale. 172. The whole vendor scene was like being in the center of a weird circus. Tom lifted the Inch before Adam and I. Tom is a monster on thickbar

Awesome & Congrats  Steve💪 Also, great contest performance

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hubgeezer

My kneejerk reaction is that there are 200. After looking at the list, I am not so sure there are that many. 

I remember Tommy J said he saw several arm wrestlers lift it at some competition. 

In March, 2004, at my first grip contest, I saw a guy named Dave Tharp (he was a Captain of Crush in 1998 or so and could bench press 600 lbs.) deadlift it. He said he had one at home. 

David Prowse, aka Darth Vader, and owner of the Inch for almost 30 years, told me (July, 2008) that he could lift it. Actually, he said he could clean it, but I didn't believe him(maybe he meant with both hands). He said he could not put it overhead.  

I am certain that John Wood could easily deadlift it, but mentioning his name won't win me any Brownie Points on this Forum.

Mike R: The famous "hole" in the original inch...no one actually knows what it was for, correct? That is theory/speculation behind it, I believe. Or is there some sort of definitive proof that was what transpired? Willoughby's famous book, The Super Athletes, stated that Inch would not let anyone take photographs of it, and he said that he knew, because he had talked to Inch about it himself. 

• Like 1

Shoggoth

There are also quite a few replica’s out there that people are lifting without posting on the internet. 

• Like 2

Mike Rinderle
56 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Hells yea!

• Thanks 1

bwwm

There's also lifted vs. lifted by the Gripboard rules.  I have lifted it a number of times, but I can't say all the lifts would have met the rules.  Maybe I should make a GP rule lift my goal for the end of the year.

• Like 1

Goran Paulinič

Life is unfair. That's it. Take it or leave it. I have small hands and that's it. People with big c##s outperform people with small ones. I can still do powerlifting. But hey, I wasn't great there too. :)

Hopefully

As long as you compare yourself primarily to others instead of trying to be the best you that you can you'll never feel good about yourself. Besides, in the end you'll die anyway, well hung or not. No point in living a life of envy. You can argue that there's no point living at all for good reason too, but that's a bit depressing and better left ignored 😛

Edited by Hopefully
  • Like 2

Goran Paulinič

I am more ironic than really unsatisfied. But there is a seed in every man. A seed of evil. Working on it.

Fist of Fury
9 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I'd also be very interested in knowing how many people have lifted the Inch after they turned 50.  Again, not a list of who could, but a list of who has.  I'm very very very close to a full, locked out lift.  There are also two other team AARP members on this board, @Kluv#0 and @WestSlope, that will probably lift it the first time they get their hands on one.  Would be interesting to know how excusive the geezer club is.  @EricMilfeld has gotten close too.

We came up with some names at Living Legends.  I'm sure there are more:

Odd Haugen, Mark Felix, Steve Gardner, David Horne, Bob Sundin, and 2 or 3 others I can't remember off the top of my head.  Dave Thornton maybe?

Then there are guys like Chad Woodall and Arto who could easily do it, but I'm not sure if they have actually done it since they turned 50.

If you guys know of some names to add to the list, that would be a big help.  

Laine Snook???

• Like 2

Mike Rinderle
21 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Laine Snook???

Yes!  That's the one I couldn't remember.   Thanks!

So:  Odd Haugen, Mark Felix, Steve Gardner, David Horne, Bob Sundin, Laine Snook, and Steve Millard.  

Anyone else over 50 you guys can think of?  Did @1stCoC Richard Sorin lift it after turning 50?

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

KapMan
16 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Yes!  That's the one I couldn't remember.   Thanks!

So:  Odd Haugen, Mark Felix, Steve Gardner, David Horne, Bob Sundin, Laine Snook, and Steve Millard.  

Anyone else over 50 you guys can think of?  Did @1stCoC Richard Sorin lift it after turning 50?

He lifted it after turning 1

• Haha 2

WestSlope
12 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

Awesome & Congrats  Steve💪 Also, great contest performance

Thank you, Mike! It was so much fun!

• Like 1

WestSlope
12 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Hells yea!

Thanks Rindo! Lifting it felt like a gift after a long day of competition.

• Like 2

jtmac89

It would be interesting to see how many Inch replicas get made and sold each year. I’m sure a percentage of those people buying them would be able to lift it with-in a year or so of getting it. All potential new lifters of the Inch. The more replicas out there, the more lifters of it we’ll see. 

• Like 1

Joseph Sullivan
2 hours ago, jtmac89 said:

It would be interesting to see how many Inch replicas get made and sold each year. I’m sure a percentage of those people buying them would be able to lift it with-in a year or so of getting it. All potential new lifters of the Inch. The more replicas out there, the more lifters of it we’ll see. 

Jedd and Andrew Pantke could probably give us a rough idea by the ones that they  sell, if they were so inclined to do so.

As for the potential for owners to lift them in a year? There are a lot of really strong guys who have been trying for years that still can’t. I think it’s a very individualized thing as far as the potential to achieve it that fast for most. 

Edited by Joseph Sullivan

Mike Rinderle

Get this kid an Inch.  He could definitely hook grip it.  Blobfather too.  5" thumb.  WTF?

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Joseph Sullivan
2 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Get this kid an Inch.  He could definitely hook grip it.  Blobfather too.  5" thumb.  WTF?

Wow... is that real?? Haha he should have no excuse on thick bar 

Wannagrip

This is one that escaped me.  Sold my Inch dumbbell years ago.

Hopefully
14 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

This is one that escaped me.  Sold my Inch dumbbell years ago.

Did you try but simply couldn't do it or did interest/motivation fade away?