How many people have lifted the Inch DB?

Bearhugger

1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I think it’s the same one.

Could be.  They look different.  But even 120 with that handle is sick.

0 0 0 0pot_20191009-195609_Samsung Internet.jpg

0 0 0 pt_20191009-195330_Samsung Internet.jpg

1 minute ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Could be.  They look different.  But even 120 with that handle is sick.

0 0 0 0pot_20191009-195609_Samsung Internet.jpg

0 0 0 pt_20191009-195330_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yea that’s just a label sticker. Same bell IMO

3 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I have a very simple definition of what isn't.  If I can do it at almost 52 years old, it's not.  

Thats a pretty lame definition. But whatever 👍🏻

11 hours ago, KapMan said:

Thats a pretty lame definition. But whatever 👍🏻

It's a philosophy that has kept me humble over the last 52 years.  If I can do something, there are probably  thousands of people out there that could do it given the chance and time to train for it.

I break feats down into 4 categories:

Attainable by most healthy males with some specific effort: Pinching 2-25s, closing a #2, 300# on an axle, 40 lb blob, 200 on a 2" vbar, etc.

What I call gateway lifts = Something extremely hard to attain for most people and once you have, you can be considered a serious gripsport playa.  Feats like a #3 close, pinching two 45s, blob 50, plain reg #3 shoe, Red Nail bend, > 200# on a new RT, 3 25s pinch, lifting the Inch for a single.

World Class = something only the top 25 people or so in the world can do. Feats like Blobzilla, Pinching a 25KG and 45 lb plate, Lifting the 200# Inch or lifting the Inch for multiple reps, pinching York deep dish 45s, etc.

Elite = something only the top few people in the world can do.  Blob Father, cleaing Blobzilla or the Inch, Kerckhaert DF front clipped 10x25 Extra #3, two 25kg plate pinch, pinching deep dish York 45s in each hand, Millenium Dumbbell lift, closing a #4, etc. 

Those are just some examples.  But that's how I look at grip feats.  The lists are always changing.  A lot of the stuff on the Gateway lift list was considered world class 10 - 15 years ago.  If we are ever successful at getting a bunch of monsters like Shaw to compete, then a lot of the world class and elite feats will drop down the list quickly. 

But my original definition still stands.  If a part time strength enthusiast like me can do something at almost 52 years old, it is definitely not world class.  It can't be.  There are millions of people stronger than me on the planet and I guarantee there are thousands and thousands with a stronger grip.  So by definition, if I can do it, it ain't world class.  That doesn't mean it isn't a great feat and super hard to attain.  But I promise you, after the blender I've put this body through there isn't a world class feat in it at my age.  Other than horseshoes, there probably never was.  And I got humbled by Bergmann pretty quick on the shoes when a real world class strength athlete took up the sport for a few months.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

It's a philosophy that has kept me humble over the last 52 years.  If I can do something, there are probably  thousands of people out there that could do it given the chance and time to train for it.

Attainable by most healthy males with some specific effort: Pinching 2-25s, closing a #2, 300# on an axle, 40 lb blob, 200 on a 2" vbar, etc.

What I call gateway lifts = Something extremely hard to attain for most people and once you have, you can be considered a serious gripsport playa.  Feats like a #3 close, pinching two 45s, blob 50, plain reg #3 shoe, Red Nail bend, > 200# on a new RT, 3 25s pinch, lifting the Inch for a single.

World Class = something only the top 25 people or so in the world can do. Feats like Blobzilla, Pinching a 25KG and 45 lb plate, Lifting the 200# Inch or lifting the Inch for multiple reps, pinching York deep dish 45s, etc.

Elite = something only the top few people in the world can do.  Blob Father, cleaing Blobzilla or the Inch, Kerckhaert DF front clipped 10x25 Extra #3, two 25kg plate pinch, pinching deep dish York 45s in each hand, Millenium Dumbbell lift, closing a #4, etc. 

Those are just some examples.  But that's how I look at grip feats.  The lists are always changing.  A lot of the stuff on the Gateway lift list was considered world class 10 - 15 years ago.  If we are ever successful at getting a bunch of monsters like Shaw to compete, then a lot of the world class and elite feats will drop down the list quickly. 

But my original definition still stands.  If a part time strength enthusiast like me can do something at almost 52 years old, it is definitely not world class.  It can't be.  There are millions of people stronger than me on the planet and I guarantee there are thousands and thousands with a stronger grip.  So by definition, if I can do it, it ain't world class.  That doesn't mean it isn't a great feat and super hard to attain.  But I promise you, after the blender I've put this body through there isn't a world class feat in it at my age.  Other than horseshoes, there probably never was.  And I got humbled by Bergmann pretty quick on the shoes when a real world class strength athlete took up the sport for a few months.

There should be 2 lists. The geared and the non geared lifts and records. Comparing a massively geared guys to a natural is like comparing a Toyota Corolla to a souped up Ferrari. Comparing apples to the oranges. No comparison. Natural lifters should not compare themselves to them and feel let down because they are not quite  as strong. There is a good reason for it. 

This is NOT to start a conversation on gear, just stating the comparison is not in the same league because of it. Please guys do not segue off my comment and make it about that. Don’t want this thread shut down. 

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

There should be 2 lists. The geared and the non geared lifts and records. Comparing a massively geared guys to a natural is like comparing a Toyota Corolla to a souped up Ferrari. Comparing apples to the oranges. No comparison. Natural lifters should not compare themselves to them and feel let down because they are not quite  as strong. There is a good reason for it. 

This is NOT to start a conversation on gear, just stating the comparison is not in the same league because of it. Please guys do not segue off my comment and make it about that. Don’t want this thread shut down. 

I'm on the creatine.

19 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

They are over 60.  Odd did it 62 times in 10 minutes at age 66.   I don't care who you are.  That's 66 years old.  If a 66 year old guy can do it, it isn't that big of a deal bro.  Seriously.  Stop.  It isn't even an argument.

It's a tough feat for sure.  But it isn't the uber special feat everyone thought it was 10 years ago.

Show me one other feat a 66 yo can do 62 times that's even remotely world class.

Because grip strength stays for way longer time than most things. Can Odd replicate his bench bench, dead? No way. Did his grip strength get better? Probably. Which shows grip strength is different and age doesn't matter as much. Of course Odd had better grip 10 years back, but what is the percentage his grip strength fell compared to let's say deadlifts? The difference are huge.

12 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

Because grip strength stays for way longer time than most things. Can Odd replicate his bench bench, dead? No way. Did his grip strength get better? Probably. Which shows grip strength is different and age doesn't matter as much. Of course Odd had better grip 10 years back, but what is the percentage his grip strength fell compared to let's say deadlifts? The difference are huge.

Exactly my point! Nice! That’s EXACTLY what I said.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

1) we will never get athletes like shaw in grip. Theres no prestige or payout in it. If anything gripsport is a means to an end. When folk need that extra something for arm wrestling or strongman and vice versa. 

2) we gotta stop this bullshit hypothetical statistics crap. We cant accurately judge anything beyond what we know. We dont know the strength or potential strength of 7 billion people. We also gotta stop comparing ourselves  to regular people. Thats like comparing elite special forces personnel to regular units. You can and should quantify your abilities based on those who do what you do. Not the barista at starbucks or 4x wsm. How many people compete in gripsport and armlifting? Those are the numbers we can accurately compare to. As well as the lists here. This is ironic considering the absolute ear chewing you gave me about comparing myself to this guy or that guy. Yet here we are. 

3) By your definition my nearly 100lb KB bottoms up or the fact some of us (by some I mean Joe and I) can TNS 150+ grippers is world class, elite or whatever category you wanna settle on? That makes no sense to me. Im complete and utter shit. You are telling me because I can manage  what I can because no one else gives a shit Im somehow elevated in status? That because Jedd or Eric or Tanner dont do the shit I do I somehow measure up? 

nah bro. 

Edited by KapMan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, KapMan said:

1) we will never get athletes like shaw in grip. Theres no prestige or payout in it. If anything gripsport is a means to an end. When folk need that extra something for arm wrestling or strongman and vice versa. 

2) we gotta stop this bullshit hypothetical statistics crap. We cant accurately judge anything beyond what we know. We dont know the strength or potential strength of 7 billion people. We also gotta stop comparing ourselves  to regular people. Thats like comparing elite special forces personnel to regular units. You can and should quantify your abilities based on those who do what you do. Not the barista at starbucks or 4x wsm. How many people compete in gripsport and armlifting? Those are the numbers we can accurately compare to. As well as the lists here. This is ironic considering the absolute ear chewing you gave me about comparing myself to this guy or that guy. Yet here we are. 

3) By your definition my nearly 100lb KB bottoms up or the fact some of us (by some I mean Joe and I) can TNS 150+ grippers is world class, elite or whatever category you wanna settle on? That makes no sense to me. Im complete and utter shit. You are telling me because I can manage  what I can because no one else gives a shit Im somehow elevated in status? That because Jedd or Eric or Tanner dont do the shit I do I somehow measure up? 

nah bro. 

That barista at star bucks cranked on that lever pretty hard the last time I was there, don’t rule her out , she may be a contender! ☕️ 

Just now, Joseph Sullivan said:

That barista at star bucks cranked on that lever pretty hard the last time I was there, don’t rule her out , she may be a contender! ☕️ 

She writes GAINZ on every cup. 

15 minutes ago, KapMan said:

1. Posts, avatars, and signatures may not contain: profanity, flaming, personal attacks, nudity, spam, rants, debates, politics, negativity, fund-raisers, or advertisements.

Tone these posts down or it will get locked.

1 minute ago, Buccos1 said:

1. Posts, avatars, and signatures may not contain: profanity, flaming, personal attacks, nudity, spam, rants, debates, politics, negativity, fund-raisers, or advertisements.

Tone these posts down or it will get locked.

Really my guy. 

we going to play this game? Im Beginning to get really tired of this garbage. 

• Like 1

The problem with Inch lifts is this, of course in my opinion: the bigger your hand, lesser the feat. 

Grippers to me are a lot fairer, people with hands big, small or average struggle the same, there isn't such a big game changer for gripper strength.

I know a couple of people that would lift the Inch 1st try, and never trained their grip ever. I've had a dude who literally upright rowed 62.5 kg on RT for 20+ reps on his first try, since he was a manual worker with big hands. I'll just say that on grippers and pinch the results were very, very different.

Thick bar lifts in general are respectable only when they really test OPEN HAND strength. What's thick bar for me, isn't thick bar for someone else.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, KapMan said:

nah bro. 

Ok, obviously you're going to twist whatever I say.  So blank you on that. If we could all find something nobody else is doing, then we'd be #1.  Lol

I'm talking about feats people actually recognize and give a crap about.  That's why I gave examples.  But whatever.   If more than 25 people in the world can do what is done, it isn't world class.  Period.  Dream all you want.

And the current world's strongest man competes regularly in grip comps.  So, once again... you are wrong.

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

The problem with Inch lifts is this, of course in my opinion: the bigger your hand, lesser the feat. 

Grippers to me are a lot fairer, people with hands big, small or average struggle the same, there isn't such a big game changer for gripper strength.

I know a couple of people that would lift the Inch 1st try, and never trained their grip ever. I've had a dude who literally upright rowed 62.5 kg on RT for 20+ reps on his first try, since he was a manual worker with big hands. I'll just say that on grippers and pinch the results were very, very different.

Thick bar lifts in general are respectable only when they really test OPEN HAND strength. What's thick bar for me, isn't thick bar for someone else.

I agree. A person with huge hands lifting the inch doesn’t impress me if there’s no or barely any space between the fingers and the thumb. The further the space between your fingers and thumbs, now that’s impressive.

I'm the greatest.  And I'm out.  Like all the way out.  This board has become a joke.

• Haha 1

The way I see it when it comes to Inch db lifts is that there's many different lifts you can do with it. I would not consider all types of lifts to be world class or elite but some lifts would certainly be very elite.

Lifting the inch with a tilt, more or less would not be elite by my standards, it would be impressive but not world class or elite in my book.
Lifting the inch 100% level with 100% control, bell not moving at all, I would consider that to be world class, if not world class at least close to it.
Rowing the inch 100% strict with no tilt, I would certainly see that as world class.
High pull with the inch to chest height, world class as well.
Cleaning the inch, that's elite as far as I see it.
Snatching the inch, nobody has done it, so that would be 100% elite.

Small or big hands doesn't change anything, the only thing it changes is how impressive the feat is.

5 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

The way I see it when it comes to Inch db lifts is that there's many different lifts you can do with it. I would not consider all types of lifts to be world class or elite but some lifts would certainly be very elite.

Lifting the inch with a tilt, more or less would not be elite by my standards, it would be impressive but not world class or elite in my book.
Lifting the inch 100% level with 100% control, bell not moving at all, I would consider that to be world class, if not world class at least close to it.
Rowing the inch 100% strict with no titls, I would certainly see that as world class.
Hig pull with the inch to chest height, world class as well.

Small or big hands doesn't change anything, the only thing it changes is how impressive the feat is.

Big hands absolutely changes things. If your fingers touch, or wrap, and you have the body strength to lift 172, then it becomes more like just lifting a regular dumbbell. The bigger the hand definitely had the advantage, for the most part, unless you have someone like Yves Gravelle or the likes. For anyone to say otherwise is false. There are exceptions to every rule, but for the most part, hand size reigns supreme in thick bar of any kind. More wrap more slap!

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Rowing the inch 100% strict with no tilt, I would certainly see that as world class.
High pull with the inch to chest height, world class as well.

No, it completely changes the whole thing 100%. The bigger your hands is, the more mechanical advantage you have, the less it counts as a open hand lift, and takes less strength to achieve.

2 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Big hands absolutely changes things. If your fingers touch, or wrap, then if becomes more like just lifting a regular dumbbell. The bigger the hand definitely had the advantage, for the most part, unless you have someone like Yves Gravelle or the likes. For anyone to say otherwise is false. There are exceptions to every rule, but for the most part, hand size reigns supreme in thick bar of any kind. More wrap more slap!

2 minutes ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

No, it completely changes the whole thing 100%. The bigger your hands is, the more mechanical advantage you have, the less it counts as a open hand lift, and takes less strength to achieve.

Both of you are missing the point. It does not change anything. However if you have less to work with it can be viewed as more impressive. Exactly like I wrote.

Just now, Fist of Fury said:

Both of you are missing the point. It does not change anything. However if you have less to work with it can be viewed as more impressive. Exactly like I wrote.

That's like saying being paraplegic doesn't change the dynamics of bench press, but only makes it more impressive. It both changes it AND makes it more impressive.

2 minutes ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

That's like saying being paraplegic doesn't change the dynamics of bench press, but only makes it more impressive. It both changes it AND makes it more impressive.

It doesn't. We're talking about what is world class or elite here. You're missing the point completely dude.

If people are winning the world championship in bench press at certain numbers you have to be close to these number in order to be considered a world class lifer yourself. It doesn't matter what genes you have.

4 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Ok ,I see at the end there you said it about being more or less impressive with what you have to work with! 👍