How many people have lifted the Inch DB?

Bearhugger

I'd also be very interested in knowing how many people have lifted the Inch after they turned 50.  Again, not a list of who could, but a list of who has.  I'm very very very close to a full, locked out lift.  There are also two other team AARP members on this board, @Kluv#0 and @WestSlope, that will probably lift it the first time they get their hands on one.  Would be interesting to know how excusive the geezer club is.  @EricMilfeld has gotten close too.

We came up with some names at Living Legends.  I'm sure there are more:

Odd Haugen, Mark Felix, Steve Gardner, David Horne, Bob Sundin, and 2 or 3 others I can't remember off the top of my head.  Dave Thornton maybe?

Then there are guys like Chad Woodall and Arto who could easily do it, but I'm not sure if they have actually done it since they turned 50.

If you guys know of some names to add to the list, that would be a big help.  

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Yesterday in Las Vegas a vendor had a Sorinex Inch replica as a challenge with free supplements as a prize for lifting it. Three of us lifted it. I lifted it seconds after Nick Best had a nearly locked out lift with it. He laid a fist bump on me for my trouble. Adam took a video for me, but I have my back to him. That was the first time I touched a bona fide replica. I walked away with a tub of protein powder too.

Steve has no trouble lifting the inch after a 5 hour contest 💪💪💪💪

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

The vendor was announcing that the bell was 200 lb, so after Adam tossed it around with both hands he put it on their scale. 172. The whole vendor scene was like being in the center of a weird circus. Tom lifted the Inch before Adam and I. Tom is a monster on thickbar

Awesome & Congrats  Steve💪 Also, great contest performance ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• Like 1

My kneejerk reaction is that there are 200. After looking at the list, I am not so sure there are that many. 

I remember Tommy J said he saw several arm wrestlers lift it at some competition. 

In March, 2004, at my first grip contest, I saw a guy named Dave Tharp (he was a Captain of Crush in 1998 or so and could bench press 600 lbs.) deadlift it. He said he had one at home. 

David Prowse, aka Darth Vader, and owner of the Inch for almost 30 years, told me (July, 2008) that he could lift it. Actually, he said he could clean it, but I didn't believe him(maybe he meant with both hands). He said he could not put it overhead.  

I am certain that John Wood could easily deadlift it, but mentioning his name won't win me any Brownie Points on this Forum.

Mike R: The famous "hole" in the original inch...no one actually knows what it was for, correct? That is theory/speculation behind it, I believe. Or is there some sort of definitive proof that was what transpired? Willoughby's famous book, The Super Athletes, stated that Inch would not let anyone take photographs of it, and he said that he knew, because he had talked to Inch about it himself. 

• Like 1

There are also quite a few replica’s out there that people are lifting without posting on the internet. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Yesterday in Las Vegas a vendor had a Sorinex Inch replica as a challenge with free supplements as a prize for lifting it. Three of us lifted it. I lifted it seconds after Nick Best had a nearly locked out lift with it. He laid a fist bump on me for my trouble. Adam took a video for me, but I have my back to him. That was the first time I touched a bona fide replica. I walked away with a tub of protein powder too.

Hells yea!

There's also lifted vs. lifted by the Gripboard rules.  I have lifted it a number of times, but I can't say all the lifts would have met the rules.  Maybe I should make a GP rule lift my goal for the end of the year.

• Like 1

Life is unfair. That's it. Take it or leave it. I have small hands and that's it. People with big c##s outperform people with small ones. I can still do powerlifting. But hey, I wasn't great there too. :)

9 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I'd also be very interested in knowing how many people have lifted the Inch after they turned 50.  Again, not a list of who could, but a list of who has.  I'm very very very close to a full, locked out lift.  There are also two other team AARP members on this board, @Kluv#0 and @WestSlope, that will probably lift it the first time they get their hands on one.  Would be interesting to know how excusive the geezer club is.  @EricMilfeld has gotten close too.

We came up with some names at Living Legends.  I'm sure there are more:

Odd Haugen, Mark Felix, Steve Gardner, David Horne, Bob Sundin, and 2 or 3 others I can't remember off the top of my head.  Dave Thornton maybe?

Then there are guys like Chad Woodall and Arto who could easily do it, but I'm not sure if they have actually done it since they turned 50.

If you guys know of some names to add to the list, that would be a big help.  

Laine Snook???

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Laine Snook???

Yes!  That's the one I couldn't remember.   Thanks!

So:  Odd Haugen, Mark Felix, Steve Gardner, David Horne, Bob Sundin, Laine Snook, and Steve Millard.  

Anyone else over 50 you guys can think of?  Did @1stCoC Richard Sorin lift it after turning 50?

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Yes!  That's the one I couldn't remember.   Thanks!

So:  Odd Haugen, Mark Felix, Steve Gardner, David Horne, Bob Sundin, Laine Snook, and Steve Millard.  

Anyone else over 50 you guys can think of?  Did @1stCoC Richard Sorin lift it after turning 50?

He lifted it after turning 1

• Haha 2

It would be interesting to see how many Inch replicas get made and sold each year. I’m sure a percentage of those people buying them would be able to lift it with-in a year or so of getting it. All potential new lifters of the Inch. The more replicas out there, the more lifters of it we’ll see. 

2 hours ago, jtmac89 said:

It would be interesting to see how many Inch replicas get made and sold each year. I’m sure a percentage of those people buying them would be able to lift it with-in a year or so of getting it. All potential new lifters of the Inch. The more replicas out there, the more lifters of it we’ll see. 

Jedd and Andrew Pantke could probably give us a rough idea by the ones that they  sell, if they were so inclined to do so.

As for the potential for owners to lift them in a year? There are a lot of really strong guys who have been trying for years that still can’t. I think it’s a very individualized thing as far as the potential to achieve it that fast for most. 

Edited by Guest

Get this kid an Inch.  He could definitely hook grip it.  Blobfather too.  5" thumb.  WTF?

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Get this kid an Inch.  He could definitely hook grip it.  Blobfather too.  5" thumb.  WTF?

Wow... is that real?? Haha he should have no excuse on thick bar 

29 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Wow... is that real?? Haha he should have no excuse on thick bar 

Totally real.  His other fingers are long too, but the thumb is bizarre.  He'd have to beef up a little from the look of things.

13 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Totally real.  His other fingers are long too, but the thumb is bizarre.  He'd have to beef up a little from the look of things.

Yea, gaining some size, that’s the easy part... the hand size thing is covered is the one he’s got in the bag!!

Most Inch dumbbell owners would likely be able to say who lifted theirs. The following individuals have lifted mine:

Eric Roussin
Devon Larratt
Brian Tamblyn
Shea Dickie
Jeff Slater
Jay Smith
Justin Major
Yves Gravelle

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Most Inch dumbbell owners would likely be able to say who lifted theirs. The following individuals have lifted mine:

Eric Roussin
Devon Larratt
Brian Tamblyn
Shea Dickie
Jeff Slater
Jay Smith
Justin Major
Yves Gravelle

Yves lift on the inch truly incredible. What did he weigh when he did his lift- under 160 lb correct??

• Like 1

Just now, AdamTGlass said:

Yves lift on the inch truly incredible. What did he weigh when he did his lift- under 160 lb correct??

145 lbs

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Eric Roussin
Devon Larratt
Brian Tamblyn
Shea Dickie
Jeff Slater
Jay Smith
Justin Major
Yves Gravelle

Gotta get Gus on that list.  Oldest ever!

Just now, Eric Roussin said:

145 lbs

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 

Shiny and chromed 

68A86C14-7F88-4221-9507-2031EAF136D3.jpeg

Tanner Merkle’s brother easily lifts it, I think his Dad might be able to as well

People who lifted on of the various 173 bells I had at my Minneapolis gym

Michael Sheehan

Josh Hanagarne

David Dellenave

Matt Brouse

Chris Mathison 

At the Dallas Europa Clay Edgin has a inch lift challenge booth. I was there all day with him. There were 6 guys who lifted it.i didn’t get their names. There were around 80 I saw try and utter fail who were over 240 lb. 

Ross Love from Houston lifted Paul K’s inch at a Metroflex contest. 

I’ve seen J.L. Holdsworth lift the inch

Morgan Choi 

Riccardo Magni 

Tom McClure lifted it at the Olympia

i saw Artos name come up - when I was at his house before the Bonehill contest he picked up his inch while chewing on a chicken leg effortlessly

• Like 4