Big Problem with Baseline Hand Dynamometer

Morgan

If you press the dynamo-meter explosively, the red pointer will bounce from the black pointer and you will get a lot higher measurement than your actual grip strength. Here in this video I did not press very hard but because I press very fast, the red pointer bounce to max couple of times. This video is little exaggerated but I noticed this same problem from couple of baseline hand dynamometer videos.

In order to fix this problem, you will have to slowly and gradually press the dynamo-meter. Then most likely the red pointer will stay at the same position as the black pointer. It is best if your partner can read the black pointer for you while you pressing the dynamo-meter.

Edited by Morgan

We all noticed that too over at @AdamTGlass house a couple months. The only way to get a true measurement is to squeeze slowly.

• Like 1

The digital version should be ok....i plan on making an adjustable hydraulic dynamometer using the crane scale I have that gives you a max read out. 

• Like 2

Yes this is a common problem with hydraulics. It can be solved by using a device called an accumulator in the system, tho this would be cumbersome and honestly a bit silly for this application. An accumulator is like a capacitor in electronics, or in simple terms it filters out noise or small spikes so you get a consistent reading. Much easier to just use the honor system. 

• Like 1