Wrist curls/ thickbar carryover to gripper strength?

Noobishindi

Would wrist curls and reverse wrist curls have a carryover to gripper strength? I’m not really new to the game but have never really done any wrist curls, I always assumed they were less effective than actual grip work, so it’s more of a curiosity thing than anything. 

The thickbar work I haven’t done in about 8 years (has a long hiatus from training and returned a few months back) and I’m looking to get one for Xmas. Whether there is a carryover or not is less relevant but I don’t want to burn out on grippers if there is a correlation! 

As a side note: I’ve conquered pinching 2 35’s for the first time in my life and my pinch game (blob, pinch block etc) has improved nicely. Sledge levering is coming really well and grip feels great overall but crush grip is lackluster to what it used to be (was 1/4” from parallel closing the #3 whereas now it just laughs at me. Bring on choker work!)

On wrist work— Carry over yes - in the sense of can’t hurt. To close big grippers closing grippers is the most reliable method. I have a pretty ok wrist but my max gripper when I’m not training it stays at a 160-165 level. It certainly doesn’t hurt my crush but I’m not improving in it to any real degree unless I dig out the grippers and setting block. 

On thick bar / grippers - absolutely. It’s no mistake for example Andrew Durniat in the same year axle lifted 475 & closed a huge #4 for a season record. Did you see the Russian Who just closed 3 & 3.5 coc cert? Dudes got like a 485-495 doh. Holding on to a big bar with rotational forces will set your foundation for a big close. 

I think axle lifting is the most solid overall grip training method. You will gain total body strength and if you stay double over you will be very unlikely to pick up something that will hurt your back. Pushing your max axle will benefit every aspect of your strength. No downside to it. 

Edited by AdamTGlass
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, AdamTGlass said:

On wrist work— Carry over yes - in the sense of can’t hurt. To close big grippers closing grippers is the most reliable method. I have a pretty ok wrist but my max gripper when I’m not training it stays at a 160-165 level. It certainly doesn’t hurt my crush but I’m not improving in it to any real degree unless I dig out the grippers and setting block. 

On thick bar / grippers - absolutely. It’s no mistake for example Andrew Durniat in the same year axle lifted 475 & closed a huge #4 for a season record. Did you see the Russian Who just closed 3 & 3.5 coc cert? Dudes got like a 485-495 doh. Holding on to a big bar with rotational forces will set your foundation for a big close. 

I think axle lifting is the most solid overall grip training method. You will gain total body strength and if you stay double over you will be very unlikely to pick up something that will hurt your back. Pushing your max axle will benefit every aspect of your strength. No downside to it. 

Thank you for the detailed reply! I’m likely going to stay away from wrist curls, and maybe just hit reverse wrist curls or even reverse curls. 

Would an axle lift be the same as a thickbar or does the non rotation of the axle make a big difference? I’ve only returned to lifting recently so my deadlift is mediocre, I have a pair of manus grips (fat grips) and can start deadlifting with a thick handle this Friday! If need be, I’ll save up for an axle barbell but definitely getting a thick bar this Xmas if there isn’t a huge difference! 

20 minutes ago, Noobishindi said:

Thank you for the detailed reply! I’m likely going to stay away from wrist curls, and maybe just hit reverse wrist curls or even reverse curls. 

Would an axle lift be the same as a thickbar or does the non rotation of the axle make a big difference? I’ve only returned to lifting recently so my deadlift is mediocre, I have a pair of manus grips (fat grips) and can start deadlifting with a thick handle this Friday! If need be, I’ll save up for an axle barbell but definitely getting a thick bar this Xmas if there isn’t a huge difference! 

My thought is keep using the slip on grips - save your penny’s and when it fits your budge get an Ironmind axle. 

Btw on the wrist curls etc my suggestion is not to avoid them but rather understand what you are getting and what you (probably) are not. 

• Like 1

I understand you said there isn’t much carryover and wasn’t saying to avoid them, but if there isn’t much carryover (or a risk of burnout, as mentioned above) then I will skip them for that reason. Maybe someday I’ll rotate them in along with other exercises I don’t do, just to switch things up if and when I plateau. My current routine looks like:

Tuesday: 

blob (3x5)

grippers (3 sets of 10 second negative holds with a HG 6)

forward sledge levers 3x15

5-6 sets of extensor work

Thursday:

RT (3x5)

2 35’s plate pinch (3 sets of max holds- all under 10 secs currently)

Back sledge lever (3x15)

Side to side sledge lever (3x15)

Extensor work

Saturday

Grippers (3 sets of negative holds with #3)

Pinch block (3 sets of 10 sec holds)

Overhead sledge lever (3x5)

(Thickbar static’s to be added here)

Reverse curls 

I’ve tried longer duration times holds for

blob and RT and it didn’t seem to help with strength for too long. Switched to single lifts and that got me only so far but this 3x5 is really helping. Maybe it’s just a mental thing but I’m riding it as long as I can! Anyway, I don’t want to add in wrist curls if they end up burning my grip out. I use my hands all day for work and starting with the #3 has definitely had its impact 😅

Before I ever heard of Grip as a sport I did a lot of wrist and reverse wrist curls. It was actually a program called "Power Forearms" that included some direct wrist work etc.  It was done on a non revolving bar.  I feel like it "set the stage" for everything I managed later on.  I think a few months of this during an "off season" would benefit most people newish to the sport.  I had strong wrists from my beginnings and that was a big advantage.  Will it help a seasoned Grip Sport veteran is a good question?  I usually do a few weeks of this after a contest and it does help me recover and feel "solid" again.  I'm one of those who think too much specialized training carried out for too long in a row is not good and switching things up has advantages  in the grand scheme of things..  I'm of the belief that this little program is a small part of my longevity.  Happy training.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

It's important to have strong arms overall in grip. If you have a weak link you will suffer, in one way or another.

Yup. You're going to struggle with constant injuries if you can't balance strength, this applies to every physical hobby. It's okay to have a singular goal, but there always has to be time set aside for general strength and opposition movements. 

4 hours ago, climber511 said:

Before I ever heard of Grip as a sport I did a lot of wrist and reverse wrist curls. It was actually a program called "Power Forearms" that included some direct wrist work etc.  It was done on a non revolving bar.  I feel like it "set the stage" for everything I managed later on.  I think a few months of this during an "off season" would benefit most people newish to the sport.  I had strong wrists from my beginnings and that was a big advantage.  Will it help a seasoned Grip Sport veteran is a good question?  I usually do a few weeks of this after a contest and it does help me recover and feel "solid" again.  I'm one of those who think too much specialized training carried out for too long in a row is not good and switching things up has advantages  in the grand scheme of things..  I'm of the belief that this little program is a small part of my longevity.  Happy training.

Where can I find that power forearms program? 

It's on the board somewhere but I can't find it - maybe Synergy Forearms ???  My search skills are off today.

1 hour ago, Shal9097 said:

Where can I find that power forearms program? 

46 minutes ago, climber511 said:

It's on the board somewhere but I can't find it - maybe Synergy Forearms ???  My search skills are off today.

https://archive.org/details/PowerForearms

• Like 1