2019 September: Living Legends - Rindo

Mike Rinderle

What a fantastic contest.  The level of planning, work and attention to detail that Andrew and his team put into this event was very evident.  It ran like clockwork.  It is the only contest I've ever been to that it went quicker than planned.

I did about where I expected and deserved. I haven't seen the final offical standings, but I believe I came in 9th or 10th out of 12 or 13 competitors. Given the murderers row that competed, I will take it.

Day 1

Grippers:  140.  Don't train em.  Got what I deserved and expected. I think Aaron won this with 180.

Hammers: Got the opener at 20 lbs.  Just couldn't quite get 22.5.  Extremely tough event.  3 people in the Legends class couldn't get the opener.  For fairness sake they were allowed to try a lower weight the following morning.  Luke and Jedd tied for first with 27.5.

Day 2

Andrew's Axle: Got 135 kg pretty easy.  Got 140 to lockout, but my hands were off center and it started slipping out of my right hand right at the top.  Judges made the correct call that it was not a good lift.  Had time and tried again, but 308 lbs is right at my max on this, and I just didn't have the horsepower to get it.  I believe Andrew tied Eric for the win with Jedd right behind them.

2 x 5 Saxon bar:  Got 105kg.  Second time I've touched a Saxon bar.  2" is a little thin for me, so I was really happy with this.  Jedd won with a huge world record of 135kg (297 lbs).

Anvil: 90 kg.  Had only touched this implement once before.  Definitely different than other vertical bars.  Really enjoyed the difference.   In training with Jedd I got 231 lbs on his, but could only manage 90 kg on this one.  Lack of training and the fact that the old man was running out of steam meant I just wasn't strong enough to go higher.  Luke and Thomas had an epic battle.  Luke would set a new world record and Thomas would match him.  Rinse.  Repeat.  Luke finally won with a huge world record of 125 kg.

Inch dumbbell medley.  Did the 125 # and 150 # Inches and stopped there.  I've never gotten a full lift with the Inch and I certainly wasn't going to get one in event 6 of the contest, so I didn't even bother.  Jedd won this event by lifting the 200 # Inch faster than anyone else.  Flew through the medley.  I think it was well  under 30 seconds to lift the 125, 150, 172, 180, and 200.  Andrew got the 200 but he was slower than Jedd.

Blob medley:  I was really happy with my performance.  Got through the blob 50 pretty easy.  Just ran out of steam by the time I got to the half 120 legacy (beelzeblob).  Just couldn't quite get it to the 24" table.  After a couple other competitors went, I walked over and lifted it.  Jedd smoked the field on this one.  All the way through blobzilla in about 20 seconds.  Thomas came in second and also got zilla but slower.

Great seeing old friends and meeting new ones.  I would definitely do this contest again.

Porkchop won the Open Division and Hilda won the womens.

Feats:

When I got into town Thursday night I got a lot of air with the 172# Sahlaney Inch about 6 times at Paul Knights without much warmup.  He lent me this bell so stay tuned.  

After the contest, I was able to pinch three 25s for the first time. 

Those and getting Beelzeblob after the contest made me very happy.

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 16

Good job old timer. Between equipment and the field of meta humans, seems I was right to keep my ass away. The “legends” is understating the difficultly. Id be 20th place, even if there was 5 people 🤪

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Good job old timer. Between equipment and the field of meta humans, seems I was right to keep my ass away. The “legends” is understating the difficultly. Id be 20th place, even if there was 5 people 🤪

Yea, even the open class was crazy strong with the guys from Charlotte and Dube making the trip down from Canada.  And Hilda and Melissa were strong AF on the womens side.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, JasonD said:

Great write up Mike! It was a pleasure to meet and compete with you. Hope we can do it again some day.

Right back at you Jason.  You should be extremely proud of your performance buddy.  You hung with some of the true monsters of the sport.  You were right there in contention for a top 5 spot the whole way.  For someone who has only been doing this a short time, your lifts were incredible! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Right back at you Jason.  You should be extremely proud of your performance buddy.  You hung with some of the true monsters of the sport.  You were right there in contention for a top 5 spot the whole way.  For someone who has only been doing this a short time, your lifts were incredible! 

I double, triple and QUADRUPLE that statement!!

1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Had a great time this weekend, buddy! Always a pleasure to see ya ,man!

👍

U are a good day away from a lockout with the inch.  September 21st sounds about right, get here!!

• Like 2

Very nice contest you had Mike! All you numbers were very good and 2nd time ever using Saxon and pulling 105kg is crazy strong! Nice feat with the 3 25's pinch and awesome pull on Inch DB.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Very nice contest you had Mike! All you numbers were very good and 2nd time ever using Saxon and pulling 105kg is crazy strong! Nice feat with the 3 25's pinch and awesome pull on Inch DB.

Thanks Mike!  You would have done well!

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, jasonotto said:

U are a good day away from a lockout with the inch.  September 21st sounds about right, get here!!

Working on it!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Thank you Mike and Joe for the kind words! I feel pretty darn good about my performance.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Looks like you had a great comp even though you had very little time with some of the implements. You are so close to getting the Inch fully lifted and awesome run on the blobs!

Wish you were there buddy!  I was the only Team AARP Member in attendance. 

21 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

Great to see you this weekend!

You too buddy!  Always a lot of fun!

• Like 1

Had an awesome time with you this weekend, and it was great seeing you do so well across the board!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Had an awesome time with you this weekend, and it was great seeing you do so well across the board!

Thanks bruddah man!