Cash event in 2020

lder

35 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

“ I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted” -WC Fields 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, FrankSobotka said:

Personally I would spend money on more grip stuff/gym equipment way before I’d spend money on competition expenses 

For many of us, competition is why we own grip stuff in the first place and is the motivation . I think if there was no competition aspect, I would just be working out in a bodybuilding kind of way.

On 9/10/2019 at 9:15 PM, AdamTGlass said:

This hand size & the inch is so tired. Yves picked it up weighing 145 - get over it. It’s been done now by a guy with smaller hands than you smaller body than you. Done. 

One of my lifting partners in Minneapolis picked up the inch with 7.5 hands weighing 190. He lifted in grip nationals in 2012 and by 2014 videos on his yt picking it up. if you train your grip you can lift the bell. Tommy Jennings hands are smaller than mine (7&7/8) he lifts it. Riccardo Magni smaller than mine he lifts it. Matt Brouse has a shorter hand he easily lifts it. Bob Sundin lifted the inch weighing like with in a few pounds of it. It’s been done. I wish I had a better memory to name drop because I would fill this up with every unde 8” hand inch lifter and that would take some time to do. 

It’s been done. Take an inch bell to a rodeo or a Arm Wrestling meet or a climbing gym and watch someone pop up who lifts it on sight. 

The real question John is asking is who would be up a nice chunk of change for a grip contest? In or out? 

I am in for that. I would guess most of my friends in this game would be too. It’s a great idea to kick around. Who cares what the events would be? At the level of vision John is talking this goes well past a 15 guy meet. He’s east coast - how many strongman gyms, power lifting clubs, cross fit studios, commercial gyms, private studios are within day 2 hour drive of his venue? 

See a bigger picture of involvement. A 100 person meet under 1 roof would be a win for all of Grip, all federations, all equipment companies, blah blah- And if the winning pot is big it becomes an instant draw for even grander set ups. 

Best of all - John didn’t ask any of us to do anything other than would ya lift? So any useful ideas beyond what equipment you don’t like because youre not a top of leaderboard on?

Its been done, that’s the statistic you need. Every one of you can do it. 

These people mentioned are exceptions to the rule.

I've had the Inch at multiple arm wrestling meets.  The only people that break it off the ground have 8+ inch hands.

I agree with a lot Adam said here, but can't go along with his assessment of the hand size vs Inch statements.  Sorry.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

These people mentioned are exceptions to the rule.

I've had the Inch at multiple arm wrestling meets.  The only people that break it off the ground have 8+ inch hands.

I agree with a lot Adam said here, but can't go along with his assessment of the hand size vs Inch statements.  Sorry.

You are both right. Obviously size and weight is relevant; a 5-year-old who weighs 50 pounds and has 4 inch hands cannot do it, no matter what, as it would be physically impossible and none of us can say otherwise.  We can all agree there are some limits somewhere.  What I think Adam is saying (or the way I will take it, anyway) is that we should not rule ourselves out too quickly.  So with a 7.5 hand and weighing 145 you do NOT have good odds on the Inch, but it has been done, so it is not necessarily folly to pursue.  I like the motivation of hearing that Yves weighs less than me and has my size hands and lifts the inch and does other things usually only seen in the higher weight classes.  It doesn't mean I will ever pursue the Inch, or that it is even possible for me ever to do it if I work towards it, but it does provide some motivation to push limits.  It would be interesting to see on a thread like Joe's the hand length and body weights of each lifter as well.  And it should be just as exciting to see a person smaller than Yves lift the Inch as to see someone bigger than God lift a record-breaking bigger Inch-like thing.  It's all good.

As for me on the Inch:  175 pounds, 7.5-inch hands, and most I have ever lifted on a bell is in the 138 range, maybe I might have pulled mid-140s once but there is a 136 or 138 I have been getting regularly at Tim Butler's (Temmeeeeee - how much are your baby Inches?  I can get both of them, but not your real ones, no no).  After I get my MM1 (fingers crossed), if I were to say hey, I wanna get the Inch, would that be physically possible as a life goal?  I dunno.  Maybe I will pursue it just to see how far I get.  I doubt it's a biologically impossible thing to ever achieve, but it may be hard enough that I abandon it without attaining it.  It would require a 20 per cent improvement on the lift; that's a lot -- proportionally speaking, 20% is about the difference between a COC 3 (RGC 150) and a COC 3.5 (RGC 180).  Bet if I did get the Inch, it would improve my Rolling Thunder, eh?  I can't even do 172 on THAT right now!

• Like 2

Here is my perspective on the INCH DB replica/Hand size - I would guess 90% of those who lifted it have 8" plus hand size. However, 90% of NBA players are tall. 90% of NFL players are large men, etc. It is what it is...  Personally I feel pinching 2 -45's is more impressive but thats just my opinion. Go to all the NFL teams and have them try the inch Replica and try pinching 2 -45's and I will bet more Inch DB replica would be lifted than 2-45's pinched.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Here is my perspective on the INCH DB replica/Hand size - I would guess 90% of those who lifted it have 8" plus hand size. However, 90% of NBA players are tall. 90% of NFL players are large men, etc. It is what it is...  Personally I feel pinching 2 -45's is more impressive but thats just my opinion. Go to all the NFL teams and have them try the inch Replica and try pinching 2 -45's and I will bet more Inch DB replica would be lifted than 2-45's pinched.

Yep I had a former D-I basketball player with 8 3/4" hand try an Inch and an easy 50lb Next Gen blob, lifted the inch like nothing, but couldnt begin to budge the blob and barely lifted 60lbs on a 2" pinch block. 

• Like 3

I have 8” hands, cant lift a inch without deload, or pinch 2-45s, or lift a blob over 40 and im comparable to a adolescent hippo in weight. Theres more to it then simply being big, or having advantageous hand size.

Everyone expects people like me to crush certain feats, then are surprised when we cant. Meanwhile people like Yves and people smaller then me without a climbing background, out muscle me. Let that sink in. 

10 minutes ago, KapMan said:

I have 8” hands, cant lift a inch without deload, or pinch 2-45s, or lift a blob over 40 and im comparable to a adolescent hippo in weight. Theres more to it then simply being big, or having advantageous hand size.

Everyone expects people like me to crush certain feats, then are surprised when we cant. Meanwhile people like Yves and people smaller then me without a climbing background, out muscle me. Let that sink in. 

How long have you been seriously training grip?  Yves has been climbing for over a decade I believe.   He's got elite, world-class hand strength.  Top 0.0000000001% for his size.  On top of all his training, he likely has a genetic makeup that lends itself to a strong grip.

Don't make the mistake of comparing yourself to one of the best in the world who has been training his grip to stay alive for years and years.  Also, those feats you listed are all top end feats.  It took me 11 years to get decent air under the Inch and almost a decade to pinch 2 45s.  

Compared to the average man of any size walking the streets of the good ol' USofA, I bet your grip strength stacks up quite favorably.  I guarantee if you walked onto any town square in America and sat a 40lb blob on the ground and had every man jack attempt it, less than 20% would be able to lift it.  And the vast majority of that 20% would be either guys with 8.5" + hands or guys that use their hands for manual labor day in and day out.

You are doing very well.  Keep at it and enjoy the journey.  Most people improve slowly, with fits and starts.  It's not linear.  But stay with it and you'll not only shock yourself with what you eventually accomplish, but enjoy it all the more because of all the hard work it took to get there.  I know I do.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

How long have you been seriously training grip?  Yves has been climbing for over a decade I believe.   He's got elite, world-class hand strength.  Top 0.0000000001% for his size.  On top of all his training, he likely has a genetic makeup that lends itself to a strong grip.

Don't make the mistake of comparing yourself to one of the best in the world who has been training his grip to stay alive for years and years.  Also, those feats you listed are all top end feats.  It took me 11 years to get decent air under the Inch and almost a decade to pinch 2 45s.  

Compared to the average man of any size walking the streets of the good ol' USofA, I bet your grip strength stacks up quite favorably.  I guarantee if you walked onto any town square in America and sat a 40lb blob on the ground and had every man jack attempt it, less than 20% would be able to lift it.  And the vast majority of that 20% would be either guys with 8.5" + hands or guys that use their hands for manual labor day in and day out.

You are doing very well.  Keep at it and enjoy the journey.  Most people improve slowly, with fits and starts.  It's not linear.  But stay with it and you'll not only shock yourself with what you eventually accomplish, but enjoy it all the more because of all the hard work it took to get there.  I know I do.

I tell @KapMan this all the time! Very well said, Rindo! 

On 9/11/2019 at 10:06 AM, Joseph Sullivan said:

John Stepien calls grip the “dungeons and dragons” of strength sports.... 

That is brilliant!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

For 5 years. Except for a 6 month or stretch..

Also comparing my grip to joe snuffy everyman is stupid. Similar to comparing a socket wrench to a regular wrench. Both do essentially the same thing, one simply doesnt more efficiently. 

im not comparing myself to the other 7 billion people on the planet. Im talking about the 600+ or so gripsport and armlifting lifters both in contest and those who do it just to do it.  Im below average for both my hand size and weight and well all know it. Stop pissing on me and telling me it’s raining. Cant stand that shit. I suck at a remarkable amount of stuff. Its fine, I can be used as an example that just because you are big in hand size or weight it dont mean shit. 

After 5 years of decent enough consistency in training 

still cant pinch 2-45, 5-10, blobs beyond half 80 or IM hub over 50

cant lift 200 on any rolling handle or vertical bar

i can barely qual for nationals. Eliminate the easy stuff and Im screwed because placing in a contest with the lineup of big guys we have with my level of strength is a pipe dream. As well as not bending a red..and not certing on diddly. 

Im OK with grippers and OK with with some of the odd ball stuff. Thats really it...fairly unremarkable. 

Im not being negative. Im being real. Im old enough to know that comparing myself to merkle, or jedd or yves is not only a waste of energy, but pretty retarded. I dont say this crap because its super fun and I enjoy being upset. I hope this brings perspective. The same dudes win the same shit, and do unsurprisingly strong stuff. But theres people like me floating around too.Im just obnoxiously vocal about my shortcomings while others in my ilk dont post video or try to cert because of it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Also, those feats you listed are all top end feats.  It took me 11 years to get decent air under the Inch and almost a decade to pinch 2 45s.  

Oh man this sentence made me feel bad, I got 2x20kg plate pinch on my first attempt ever so I wasn't even super happy about it :( 

A decade for the pinch huh? How big hands do you have Mike? I have 8~ inch depending on where to measure and weigh 250-260. 

But is big hands an advantage in pinching? Where is it more important, fatbar or pinch? 

Edited by Lennix
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, KapMan said:

For 5 years. Except for a 6 month or stretch..

Also comparing my grip to joe snuffy everyman is stupid. Similar to comparing a socket wrench to a regular wrench. Both do essentially the same thing, one simply doesnt more efficiently. 

im not comparing myself to the other 7 billion people on the planet. Im talking about the 600+ or so gripsport and armlifting lifters both in contest and those who do it just to do it.  Im below average for both my hand size and weight and well all know it. Stop pissing on me and telling me it’s raining. Cant stand that shit. I suck at a remarkable amount of stuff. Its fine, I can be used as an example that just because you are big in hand size or weight it dont mean shit. 

After 5 years of decent enough consistency in training 

still cant pinch 2-45, 5-10, blobs beyond half 80 or IM hub over 50

cant lift 200 on any rolling handle or vertical bar

i can barely qual for nationals. Eliminate the easy stuff and Im screwed because placing in a contest with the lineup of big guys we have with my level of strength is a pipe dream. As well as not bending a red..and not certing on diddly. 

Im OK with grippers and OK with with some of the odd ball stuff. Thats really it...fairly unremarkable. 

Im not being negative. Im being real. Im old enough to know that comparing myself to merkle, or jedd or yves is not only a waste of energy, but pretty retarded. I dont say this crap because its super fun and I enjoy being upset. I hope this brings perspective. The same dudes win the same shit, and do unsurprisingly strong stuff. But theres people like me floating around too.Im just obnoxiously vocal about my shortcomings while others in my ilk dont post video or try to cert because of it. 

I'm not sure where you think you ought to be, but only the top 10% of guys doing grip will pinch 2-45s or lift the Inch.  Might be less than that.  You have achieved better than average numbers for what most people that join this board accomplish.  If you want to feel bad about being in the top 50% and not top 10, then I can't help you.  But you've gone farther than most will.  Shit, go to any comp that has a medley.  Most people aren't pinching the 2 45s or lifting the Inch (I'm not sure 50% got the Inch at Living Legends and that contest was stacked).  And people that go to contests are usually fairly serious about this stuff.

It's easy to see some of the great feats that people post on these boards and feel like we don't measure up.  I know I do sometimes.  But I really think you have grip dismorphia.  You are top 50% any way you look at it.  That's always my goal in every single contest. 

On the rolling handle thing.  A small percentage of peeps lift 200 lbs on a rolling handle unless it's an old RT.  The things you seem to be mentioning as standards, are goals most will never acheive.  I've never had an RT to try, so i can't speak to that, but I've never gotten a clean lift with 190 on a crusher or other rolling handle.

Edited by Mike Rinderle

26 minutes ago, Lennix said:

Oh man this sentence made me feel bad, I got 2x20kg plate pinch on my first attempt ever so I wasn't even super happy about it :( 

11 years huh? How big hands do you have Mike? I have 8~ inch depending on where to measure and weigh 250-260. 

But is big hands an advantage in pinching? Where is it more important, fatbar or pinch? 

I worked at it off and on for 11 years.  My thumb strength was weak when I started grip in 2008.  My right hand is a mm or 2 under 8" and my left is right at 8".  I was always athletic, but I was never gym strong, plus I took this stuff up in my 40s.  When I first started deadlifting, it was with 135 lbs.  Took me years, but I got up to 600.  Nothing gym strenth wise has ever come easy for me.  I worked years and years just to get my bench press over 300 lb and finally topped out at a measly 345, and that was after eating my way to a bodyweight of 275.   lol

There were some years in there that weren't filled with very serious training.  I'd hit a contest a couple times a year and train for 3-4 weeks before it.   But there have also been long periods of serious work in there.  I'm just a slow gainer.  Now that I'm finally achieving some of the feats I thought I would never get, it's pretty cool to look back at all the hard work and years of sweat and torn skin.  With the perspective of age, I'm kind of glad it didn't come super easy for me.  The journey was a blast. 

I think big hands are more important for thickbar unless you are talking wide pinch, then they really come into play.

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Lennix said:

A decade for the pinch huh? How big hands do you have Mike? I have 8~ inch depending on where to measure and weigh 250-260. 

Don't feel bad as Mike Rinderle is one of the best 1 hand pinchers in the world on various implements!

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

That's always my goal in every single contest. 

Even at Legends? 😉

Just now, Andrew Dube said:

Even at Legends? 😉

OK, got me on that one.  It was not to finish last.  😝 

Mission accomplished! 

39 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I'm not sure where you think you ought to be, but only the top 10% of guys doing grip will pinch 2-45s or lift the Inch.  Might be less than that.  You have achieved better than average numbers for what most people that join this board accomplish.  If you want to feel bad about being in the top 50% and not top 10, then I can't help you.  But you've gone farther than most will.  Shit, go to any comp that has a medley.  Most people aren't pinching the 2 45s or lifting the Inch (I'm not sure 50% got the Inch at Living Legends and that contest was stacked).  And people that go to contests are usually fairly serious about this stuff.

It's easy to see some of the great feats that people post on these boards and feel like we don't measure up.  I know I do sometimes.  But I really think you have grip dismorphia.  You are top 50% any way you look at it.  That's always my goal in every single contest. 

Lol. Bro. Just the other week some guy just pinched 2-45s maybe trained 3 times. 10% my fat dimpled ass. 

Top 50%? Last place isnt top 50%. The hell you going on about? Also. Legends contest  was ridiculous. Not really a good talking point. 

Better then average numbers, c’mon dude You can look at the top 100 and 120+kg list .  And probably see my name 1 or 2 times. The 1 notable is the 30mm block set grippers from SJ4. 

Facts arent on your side here, and pumping out theoretical statistics wont help either. Compared to my peers of equal size Im a third tier wet vegetable. The whole point of even saying anything at all was to add another dimension to this discussion not to try and have the resident gripboard motivational speakers convince me I'm competitive..because the facts are Im not. You’ll see. Again. 

I know some of the things Im good at and its not even contested. So it doesn't even matter here. No one here gives a flying donkey shit about keypinch..Odd lifting ot anything like that outside of 2 people and a growing number of Europeans who already do it. 

Man..i love me some stub..odd lifting ftw.

edit: giggity on the underlined 

Edited by KapMan

30 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I worked at it off and on for 11 years.  My thumb strength was weak when I started grip in 2008.  My right hand is a mm or 2 under 8" and my left is right at 8".  I was always athletic, but I was never gym strong, plus I took this stuff up in my 40s.  When I first started deadlifting, it was with 135 lbs.  Took me years, but I got up to 600.  Nothing gym strenth wise has ever come easy for me.  I worked years and years just to get my bench press over 300 lb and finally topped out at a measly 345, and that was after eating my way to a bodyweight of 275.   lol

There were some years in there that weren't filled with very serious training.  I'd hit a contest a couple times a year and train for 3-4 weeks before it.   But there have also been long periods of serious work in there.  I'm just a slow gainer.  Now that I'm finally achieving some of the feats I thought I would never get, it's pretty cool to look back at all the hard work and years of sweat and torn skin.  With the perspective of age, I'm kind of glad it didn't come super easy for me.  The journey was a blast. 

I think big hands are more important for thickbar unless you are talking wide pinch, then they really come into play.

Motivation right here. Thanks Mike! 

12 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Don't feel bad as Mike Rinderle is one of the best 1 hand pinchers in the world on various implements!

He's a beast :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Lennix said:

Motivation right here. Thanks Mike! 

He's a beast :D

You see the shit I have go against!? Tell me its not a up hill in January climb..plus. He’s ancient which makes it worse🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KapMan said:

You see the shit I have go against!? Tell me its not a up hill in January climb..plus. He’s ancient which makes it worse🤪

Dude, it’s not about motivational speaking, it’s about taking what you’ve been dealt and working to the best of your ability and capitalize on what tools you do have. Find the stuff you are good at and do them and work like heck on the things you aren’t. I told you before, strength, for most, is a marathon and not a sprint. You make small increases over long periods until suddenly BAM, you are doing things , if you look back to where you were, that you thought WERE NOT POSSIBLE when you started. The key is to not give up! Most will, though, if they don’t accomplish something in the time frame they deem reasonable. That’s what separates the lovers of strength from the “I just wanna be strong “ folks! The lovers of it will never stop in some way shape or form even if they are in a wheelchair. They find a way, because it’s what they love! Do you love it, Shawn? If you do, you will never stop! If you don’t, then you will quit! And that’s the bottom line. You either love and stick with it or give up like 99.9% of the world when things get hard.

12 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Lol. Bro. Just the other week some guy just pinched 2-45s maybe trained 3 times. 10% my fat dimpled ass. 

Top 50%? Last place isnt top 50%. The hell you going on about? Also. Legends contest  was ridiculous. Not really a good talking point. 

Better then average numbers, c’mon dude You can look at the top 100 and 120+kg list .  And probably see my name 1 or 2 times. The 1 notable is the 30mm block set grippers from SJ4. 

Facts arent on your side here, and pumping out theoretical statistics wont help either. Compared to my peers of equal size Im a third tier wet vegetable. The whole point of even saying anything at all was to add another dimension to this discussion not to try and have the resident gripboard motivational speakers convince me I'm competitive..because the facts are Im not. You’ll see. Again. 

I know some of the things Im good at and its not even contested. So it doesn't even matter here. No one here gives a flying donkey shit about keypinch..Odd lifting ot anything like that outside of 2 people and a growing number of Europeans who already do it. 

You think more than 10% of people that take up grip lift the Inch or pinch two 45s?  Yea, there are people that do it 1st time, but most never get there.  That's the facts.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I worked years and years just to get my bench press over 300 lb and finally topped out at a measly 345

OK I am laughing.  I know that there are strongmen in the world that bench a lot more,  but "a measly 345" bench?  Is that like "I can only close a measly COC 3" measly?

I see where you are both coming from.  To give you both a chuckle, I can't even bench 200.  Never in my life.  I have barely gotten 195, once, and usually 180-190 is my max.  Because of guys like Yves and Tanner and Jedd and Mike and all, I am gonna get MM1, and bench 200, and a few other things before I die.  Maybe not everything I try but I am on it.  Will update here.

Peace.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

OK I am laughing.  I know that there are strongmen in the world that bench a lot more,  but "a measly 345" bench?  Is that like "I can only close a measly COC 3" measly?

I see where you are both coming from.  To give you both a chuckle, I can't even bench 200.  Never in my life.  I have barely gotten 195, once, and usually 180-190 is my max.  Because of guys like Yves and Tanner and Jedd and Mike and all, I am gonna get MM1, and bench 200, and a few other things before I die.  Maybe not everything I try but I am on it.  Will update here.

Peace.

Most Ive done on bench is 315, Most on squat 420, and deadlift 510.

Im not even sure I can prove my point any further. Women have beat my squat and deadlift numbers..oh and Jennifer Thompson probably beat my best bench already and Im  32x her size. 

Edited by KapMan