Cash event in 2020

lder

1 minute ago, WestSlope said:

This could be great for gripsport if you are able to invite well known athletes to complete against each other. The side benefit would be that the no so well known grip athletes will get to know how they stack up against those folks.

Yes that’s awesome to see. To see how those that only do grip work compare to the ones that do it all. 

50 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Totally right on the money. It’s a business move. Can’t say they are not smart to do that from a business standpoint, because it’s obvious that people are buying them. Can’t hate on that capitalistic maneuver from the standpoint of a business owner wanting to stay afloat , but as a consumer it’s a different story when you think you have the right handle and THEN it gets changed to a “new model” of the same thing.

Not sure why we are complaining about this. A bunch of you guys have 900 pieces of grip gear many of which train the same shit. Not mention some of you have spent pesos on plates you pinched once. Seems hypocritical to be mad at IM when an entire sport has been developed on the same premise of buying more gear then you actually need. Theres really no specific gripsport contested equipment outside of grippers. The rest is open ended as long as its a pinch..a thick bar etc. so if the contest has a 3” rolling handle now everyone needs to buy one.. or suffer, if the contest has a euro, either shell out 225 bucks for something that you may continue to use in training in the future, hope you have good plates to pinch and that the width of those plates is optimal for you, or buy a flask for the same reason. 

Pesos on plates should be a band name

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lder said:

IM products have readily available, standardized equipment that is used worldwide in large grip competitions and other strength sports.  Because of that I have and will continue to use those implements for future contests.  The reason for the post was to gauge interest and see if the sport is ready to grow or keep its current course.  From the numbers I ran the $250 entry fee would be the lowest amount that would work to entice higher level athletes to compete and make it worth it for the promoter and venue.  

I don't think having a $250 entry fee will do anything to bring in more people.  I think you'll get a different group of competitors, yes, but not more.  Just my opinion.  I could be wrong on that though.

But, the reason I said that about the eventsis because the Rolling Thunder is the worst, most inconsistent rolling implement on the market, both from one handle to the next, and the way the same handle can vary from one use to the next and the way it loses its rolling action.  The Axle is an awesome piece, but then you're still dealing with lockout calls, which have proven to be very problematic.  These are facts.  Not opinions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

To your earlier point: why blow $200 when you know you don't have a shot?

This is why I stopped going to ontests in general. 100% guarantee of me getting murdered. Yet I get fed this bullshit of “you go to compete against yourself”

”Come on Kap, its going to fun who cares if you win or lose” 

If you people actually believed that comical line of rhetoric we wouldn't be having this discussion. Because in the end, between specific contested gear(if needed), hotel, gas, entry fee, and feeding my fat ass. Ive spent well over 400 bucks to have “fun” getting moped up like a little bitch. 

Fair point on the events. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

I don't think having a $250 entry fee will do anything to bring in more people.  I think you'll get a different group of competitors, yes, but not more.  Just my opinion.  I could be wrong on that though.

But, the reason I said that about the eventsis because the Rolling Thunder is the worst, most inconsistent rolling implement on the market, both from one handle to the next, and the way the same handle can vary from one use to the next and the way it loses its rolling action.  The Axle is an awesome piece, but then you're still dealing with lockout calls, which have proven to be very problematic.  These are facts.  Not opinions.

Jedd,

You just won Legends and did well with the thick bar events.  It is easy to say the same thing regarding friction lifts and seasoning.  Would you compete in this contest?  If not is it really about the implements or something else?  

1 minute ago, lder said:

Jedd,

You just won Legends and did well with the thick bar events.  It is easy to say the same thing regarding friction lifts and seasoning.  Would you compete in this contest?  If not is it really about the implements or something else?  

I don't really care what the events are in a grip contest.  I'll sign up, train them hard and make my weaknesses a strength.  I don't need to like the events to train them or compete on them.

I honestly don't see why I wouldn't attend this contest, especially if it brings in seriously strong dudes like Brian Shaw and other pro strongmen from around the world.  I would love to clash with them because it would be epic.  It sucks that it's at the beginning of October because it will interupt my training for King Kong, but that wouldn't stop me.

All I'm saying is the RT is an out-dated implement that has been surpassed by many other tools and lockout is unnecessary these days when we have cross-bars.

I'll also add that it's nice to see Pinching included, although having 2 out of 3 events be thick bar doesn't make much sense to me, but that's often the case with IM competitions.  The reality is that anyone with under 8 inch hands is going to know right away they have a very poor chance in this comp, and it will just be made worse with the 3-inch Saxon.  The bodyweight thing won't matter.  Guys with 8inch plus hands will have a huge advantage in the lighter class.  I can see Tanner or Ives beating just about anyone.  Pro strongman athletes included.  That level of strength, gear-assisted or not, is no match for the years of climbing they bring to thick bar and experience with the implements.  Basically a foregone conclusion, John.

But again, to answer your question, I would definitely strongly consider a competition with such a format.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Not sure why we are complaining about this. A bunch of you guys have 900 pieces of grip gear many of which train the same shit. Not mention some of you have spent pesos on plates you pinched once. Seems hypocritical to be mad at IM when an entire sport has been developed on the same premise of buying more gear then you actually need. Theres really no specific gripsport contested equipment outside of grippers. The rest is open ended as long as its a pinch..a thick bar etc. so if the contest has a 3” rolling handle now everyone needs to buy one.. or suffer, if the contest has a euro, either shell out 225 bucks for something that you may continue to use in training in the future, hope you have good plates to pinch and that the width of those plates is optimal for you, or buy a flask for the same reason. 

Pesos on plates should be a band name

Because it’s the same device being “revised” over and over and at 90 bucks or so. I do not own anything that is the same over and over like the RT has been and it also affects the records with “well... what version  RT did you use”. Totally inconsistent. I love having a lot of equipment but I do NOT want to buy revised versions of the same piece that is contested all the time with the price of shipping also being wicked expensive. I actually like iron minds products very much, but I do not like that one aspect about the many different RT versions. I own almost every piece of equipment they have, so no question about it, I like their stuff.

2 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

I don't really care what the events are in a grip contest.  I'll sign up, train them hard and make my weaknesses a strength.  I don't need to like the events to train them or compete on them.

I honestly don't see why I wouldn't attend this contest, especially if it brings in seriously strong dudes like Brian Shaw and other pro strongmen from around the world.  I would love to clash with them because it would be epic.  It sucks that it's at the beginning of October because it will interupt my training for King Kong, but that wouldn't stop me.

All I'm saying is the RT is an out-dated implement that has been surpassed by many other tools and lockout is unnecessary these days when we have cross-bars.

I'll also add that it's nice to see Pinching included, although having 2 out of 3 events be thick bar doesn't make much sense to me, but that's often the case with IM competitions.  The reality is that anyone with under 8 inch hands is going to know right away they have a very poor chance in this comp, and it will just be made worse with the 3-inch Saxon.  The bodyweight thing won't matter.  Guys with 8inch plus hands will have a huge advantage in the lighter class.  I can see Tanner or Ives beating just about anyone.  Pro strongman athletes included.  That level of strength, gear-assisted or not, is no match for the years of climbing they bring to thick bar and experience with the implements.  Basically a foregone conclusion, John.

But again, to answer your question, I would definitely strongly consider a competition with such a format.

Thank you for this response and your other feedback.  Anyone with sub-8" hands, like me at 7 1/2ish, should be able to cut weight and make it into the <100kg class.  I want to make it fair but simple for non-grip specific athletes, it is hard enough to explain gripsport to the average person.  I would consider adding another pinch event like a one hand Flask to a crossbar.  This would even out the thick bar events and stay inline with KK training.   In general strength circles lockout lifts are the norm and the Rolling Thunder is the most recognized implement outside of the gripsport community.  However, I just got a full size inch dumbbell and would substitute that as a single 60-90 second round for reps to a platform, but that might be a no go for a lot of other competitors.  

Saxon 3", Axle, Flask, Inch.  

26 minutes ago, lder said:

It is easy to say the same thing regarding friction lifts and seasoning.

I think that's more of a reason to move away from IM products. We have aluminum pinch devices (Flask, BSS hub) that won't rust like iron and rolling handles with removable axles for easy cleaning (Trilobite). These implements would promote consistency.

1 minute ago, lder said:

Thank you for this response and your other feedback.  Anyone with sub-8" hands, like me at 7 1/2ish, should be able to cut weight and make it into the <100kg class.  I want to make it fair but simple for non-grip specific athletes, it is hard enough to explain gripsport to the average person.  I would consider adding another pinch event like a one hand Flask to a crossbar.  This would even out the thick bar events and stay inline with KK training.   In general strength circles lockout lifts are the norm and the Rolling Thunder is the most recognized implement outside of the gripsport community.  However, I just got a full size inch dumbbell and would substitute that as a single 60-90 second round for reps to a platform, but that might be a no go for a lot of other competitors.  

Saxon 3", Axle, Flask, Inch.  

I kind of thought you would say that, in the bolded region, but the bodyweight classes are not going to matter much if the right people sign up.  Hand size is the most important factor out of all physical traits.  Bodyweight doesn't mean as much as you think when it comes to grip strength.  Big hands will negate low bodyweight, especially on an experienced gripster, and small hands on an otherwise brutally strong dude will kill their chances instantly on events like the originally chosen ones.  Not sure how else to put it. 

Basically, with the original events a small handed, heavy-set strong dude, will probably be turned off by the events and will probably make their final decision based on who else signs up, knowing they have no chance.  And I can see Tanner and Ives looking at this as a probable instant payday. Gil too.

• Like 5

Just now, DAVE101 said:

I think that's more of a reason to move away from IM products. We have aluminum pinch devices (Flask, BSS hub) that won't rust like iron and rolling handles with removable axles for easy cleaning (Trilobite). These implements would promote consistency.

There is nothing like the feel of steel, Dave. I am one that does not care for the lighter feel of aluminum when lifting. But, everyone has an opinion. It just feels cheap in the hand to me. No doubting that aluminum isn’t good, but it’s for the same reason that I would not want a plastic or a wooden implement.... there is something primal about wielding a steel or iron device over anything else.... and that’s where my cash is gonna go.

8 minutes ago, lder said:

However, I just got a full size inch dumbbell and would substitute that as a single 60-90 second round for reps to a platform, but that might be a no go for a lot of other competitors.  

Something like 20 percent or less of the field at LL could lift the Inch.   And that's a high percentage for a grip comp.  It's probably more like 5% usually.  I don't understand what the objective would be for adding that in as an event?  To make it even easier for Tanner, Ive and Gil to win the light-weight class???

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Something like 20 percent or less of the field at LL could lift the Inch.   And that's a high percentage for a grip comp.  It's probably more like 5% usually.  I don't understand what the objective would be for adding that in as an event?  To make it even easier for Tanner, Ive and Gil to win the light-weight class???

Simple resolution to this would be to ban these three heretics or have them in a three way pugal stick fight. 

With this hand size issue, why on earth have they not made it hand size dividing rather than weight, if the weight isn’t as much of a factor (which I agree with)?? I’m sure this has been talked about before and not “reinventing the wheel”, no? If so, why has it not been instituted? It’s an easy thing. Measure the hand instead of weighing in. Bing, bang boom... hand issue PROBLEM SOLVED!! Can we do it? Should we do it? Will it ever happen? It gets my vote....but who am I but a new jack grippy? 

9 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

With this hand size issue, why on earth have they not made it hand size dividing rather than weight, if the weight isn’t as much of a factor (which I agree with)?? I’m sure this has been talked about before and not “reinventing the wheel”, no? If so, why has it not been instituted? It’s an easy thing. Measure the hand instead of weighing in. Bing, bang boom... hand issue PROBLEM SOLVED!! Can we do it? Should we do it? Will it ever happen? It gets my vote....but who am I but a new jack grippy? 

Hand size definitely makes a difference, but is really hard to measure accurately.  Unless there is better way, competitors with a difference of  1/10" in hand size is harder to measure accurately vs digital scale body weight.   

2 minutes ago, lder said:

Hand size definitely makes a difference, but is really hard to measure accurately.  Unless there is better way, competitors with a difference of  1/10" in hand size is harder to measure accurately vs digital scale body weight.   

I think it can be done to pretty close to accuracy where any negligible difference will be minimal to make or break someone. 

53 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

With a year or so it should be within the grasp, with committed focused training, of anyone who has a decent grip even if they can't do it now.   I just got one and realize that I have a long way to go, but plan to make some good progress and lift it by the end of the year.  How hard would it be to train to lift the inch if you had that much time? 

7 minutes ago, lder said:

With a year or so it should be within the grasp, with committed focused training, of anyone who has a decent grip even if they can't do it now.   I just got one and realize that I have a long way to go, but plan to make some good progress and lift it by the end of the year.  How hard would it be to train to lift the inch if you had that much time? 

Inch isnt as accessible as you might think. 

11 minutes ago, lder said:

Many people NEVER lift the inch no matter how much time they have trained for it . Some have tried for many many years, and still do not attain it.  Some get it and some won’t. Will you be one that does it in a year? Possibly, I don’t know you and even if I did, I can’t say.... but many have said the same thing, and are years later, still not lifting it. Good luck in your training and I hope you can do it in a year. 

6 hours ago, lder said:

Regional or national level strength athletes in other non-grip specific sports.  Cross-fit, Powerlifting, Strongman...

All three events compliment each other in their training, the pinch caries over to the thick bar events.  Someone who can pull a good bit on the RT might not have a solid deadlift.  The points system makes it more of a fair contest if you can be competitive in all three events you should do well enough to place.  If you only perform well in two of the three you don't finish in the top half. 

It is not going to be for everyone.  However there it is also over a year out.

Pinch does not carry over to thickbar as much as your make it seem in your statement; nor vice versa. They are slightly related but a poor correlation between the two. 

As was noted above; get rid of one thickbar event and throw in a the LBH then it would be a much more well rounded. 

Also I would be willing to bet that I have sold a comparable amount of grip equipment as Ironmind in the last two years at a much more affordable price also. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lder said:

I trained grip for 4.5 years before my first inch db lift; my pinch, vbar and gripper strength is way above my thickbar. Some people own an inch db and never lift it with 5+ years of specific training. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

Pinch does not carry over to thickbar as much as your make it seem in your statement; nor vice versa. They are slightly related but a poor correlation between the two. 

As was noted above; get rid of one thickbar event and throw in a the LBH then it would be a much more well rounded. 

Also I would be willing to bet that I have sold a comparable amount of grip equipment as Ironmind in the last two years at a much more affordable price also. 

If the number of grip athletes and arm wrestlers wearing your shirts around the world is any indication, I would bet you have sold way more.  Better prices, better quality, and better customer service.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KapMan said:

This is why I stopped going to ontests in general. 100% guarantee of me getting murdered. Yet I get fed this bullshit of “you go to compete against yourself”

”Come on Kap, its going to fun who cares if you win or lose” 

If you people actually believed that comical line of rhetoric we wouldn't be having this discussion. Because in the end, between specific contested gear(if needed), hotel, gas, entry fee, and feeding my fat ass. Ive spent well over 400 bucks to have “fun” getting moped up like a little bitch. 

Fair point on the events. 

Ummm.  U will have fun at our event.  That's a definite.  Plus its free.  Though if u had to pay u would still come.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jasonotto said:

Ummm.  U will have fun at our event.  That's a definite.  Plus its free.  Though if u had to pay u would still come.

Thats because you're close, and I like looking at James’s biceps. 

34 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

If the number of grip athletes and arm wrestlers wearing your shirts around the world is any indication, I would bet you have sold way more.  Better prices, better quality, and better customer service.

I second this. 

• Like 1